Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Reader doesn't show everything of PDF on iPad

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2013 Mar 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have an iPad 2, iOS 6.1.3, Adobe Reader 10.5.2. I made a PDF in InDesign, with the intention to publish it on my iPad in Adobe Reader. Before 10.5.0 came, it worked fine, everything was shown.

After I updated to the newest version, the trouble began. On my Macbook everything works fine, but when I send it to my iPad, I can only see 50% of the PDF. (Text and a few pictures are gone.) When I e-mail the PDF to my Macbook, from my iPad, it shows everything again, like nothing happened. On my iPhone it shows same amount of pics and text as on my iPad. (3 pics out of 9.)

I tried lots of settings, but nothing works. I want to show the PDF to clients on the iPad, but not if the PDF is incomplete of course. Is this problem solvable or do I have to wait for several new updates till it's solved ór is something wrong with the PDF, settings for example?

- Irma.

TOPICS
iOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Irma,

Can you please share the pdf showing problem, it wil help in investigating the problem.

Please mail it to me on chmaheshatadobedotcom

-Charu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Charu,

I have exactly the same problem, I just sent you the file to your email.

Best regards,

Sergejs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Irma and Sergejs,

Thanks for sharing the pdfs.

I can see the issue both of you reported.

This will be now tracked as a internal bug and you might see the fix in one of our future releases.

-Charu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2013 Apr 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I've got the upgrade to 10.5.3., but the bug is still there.

Adobe needs to escalate the issue otherwise it degrade substantially the whole experience. Even more, as I understood from above, this bug is regression appeared in 10.5.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2013 Apr 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. It's still there.

I haven't used Adobe Reader since I had the problem, but waited instead for updates. It's a bit disappointing that I still can't use it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 23, 2013 Apr 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I verified and the bug is still open in our system and has not yet been fixed. Thank you for letting us know that it is still there and please accept my apologies but we haven't fixed it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I've got and update to 10.6 on my iPadMini, and it seems that bug has been fixed! Thanks!

Still, I tested the file that I've send previously to Charu, and I found the following problem, that do not appears in the files that have been not affected by bug in question:

the regular font looks quite faded, too light, a kinda of old-fashioned book that has been seasoned under the sun for a long time - like file went through Instagram filter.

On the opposite, Bold font items a bit too grotesque.

I tested the file to be sure on Acrobat Reader 11.0.03. for Windows, and it looks normal and differrent to what I can see on iPad screen.

Degree of weirdness is significant, that I would hesitate to show to someone such file.

What should I do? Should I send one more time the file, iPad and Windows screenshots, and if yes, then to whom?

Most probably, as Adobe, has fixed the bug, then this optical effect can be observed in the file that adobe used for testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

victorqimbisa wrote:

Stop

Stop what?  Do you receive forum notifications?  See http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416417

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please share the file and any screenshots you have with adobereader-ios@adobe.com. I am having trouble understanding which problem you are speaking about because it sounds like at least part of this is fixed and I want to be sure I understand. Looking at our bug database, It looks to me like we may have encountered 2-3 different bugs with 3 different files that you shared and I want to be sure I am looking at the right one to give you the correct info! I tested these (quickly) on my iPhone 5 and they all 3 seem to work, but it's possible that your remaining problem is device specific. Can you please share the device type and OS version you are using? Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Pat,

thanks for taking care about the issue instantly.

I have just sent the email as you requested.

I would appreciate to know if Adobe will be going to take any further action on that.

Thanks.

- Sergey -

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have something in addition to this problem:

Almost everything is working in my files, expect for showing the Euro sign (€).

Could anything be done about that?

Thank you in advance.

- Irma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I've got another thing!

I've made a button in my file in InDesign. (When you click on it, you should go to your Mail application and you can send your form.)

I first created a button with an action in InDesign and then changed the action in Acrobat Pro X. (Otherwise it would be an ugly button if I would've only made it in Acrobat) I used a javascript, so there would already be text in that mail.

It works perfectly fine on my Mac and in Windows, but it doesn't work on the iPad 2. I already found a "sort of answer" here. But that's only about navigation buttons. Is this the same issue? And will it be fixed sometime in the future?

- Irma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reader doesn't support buttons at this time. You would need to use a 3rd party PDF reader like PDF Expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve is almost correct. We do support buttons with a mailto action where the intent is to send the entire PDF file as well as submit buttons created in Adobe Forms Central. That's a pretty limited support for buttons, so we hope to get to adding more actions in the future. As for the missing Euro sign, issues like this are usually because of poorly generated PDF's (e.g. missing embedded fonts). The desktop Readers have access to a number of local fonts that the mobile Readers do not. So, sometimes the desktop can display text that the mobile Reader cannot. The best solution is to completely embed (subsetted) fonts for the document. If you have a sample you can share with me I'll have a look to be sure.

I did get the other samples you sent, and as I see it, the document is simply a very poor scan. I notice that even on the desktop, if I view it at 100% zoom the artifacts you mention are present. However, the desktop defaults to zooming this document to 150% (on my monitor) where it looks better. If I zoom the document on the mobile Reader, I see similar improvements. Further, when I view the document on a Retina (higher resolution) iPad or iPhone, again I see improvement. It seems that this scan requires higher resolution to look "ok". This is partially due to the sampling method we used for compressed images that we use at this resolution. This is a tradeoff that we've intentionally made for performance and works generally with most documents and images, but happens to fall short on this particular PDF at 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But you only support the mailto action and not a javascript, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes - as of right now, this is true: We only support mailto as of 10.6.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i havr and issue when it comes to sending the pdf files to someone else and they open the file to then tell me that the text on your application is not displaying correctly and is showing as incomplete.

how do i fix that, they are opening it up using adobe 11 the same as I.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 13, 2015 Feb 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

roberts81603205,

It's not clear which problem you have with your PDF document.

Would you share your PDF document with us?  We can examine it and diagnose the cause of the problem.

I have sent you the instructions on how to share a PDF document in a separate email.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a similar problem. I have created a PDF from MS WORD and put it on a website.

I can open it fine on my PC but it seems that on iPads only the first page is shown.

This applies both to Safari and to Chrome. However, if I copy it to Dropbox, it's fine.

(My iPad is an iPad Air and is up-to-date.)

It sounds similar to these issues but it's not clear to me where the problem lies...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 09, 2016 Feb 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi peterjeb,

Please note that Safari, Chrome, and Dropbox have their own PDF preview functionality.  They do not use Acrobat Reader for iOS to display PDF documents. And that's the reason why filled form data and comments/annotations are not displayed properly.

You can use the iOS "Open In" feature to open your PDF document in Acrobat Reader for iOS.

Would you please take a look at the "Open from Safari" section of the following FAQ documents?

Please let us know if you have additional questions.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines