• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't play videos & my computer can't handle latest Flash update -- Please Help

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2013 Jun 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an older Sony Vaio Laptop with an Intel Pentium M 1.86 GHz processor, 1.49 GB RAM, XP Pro (sp3), and use Mozilla Firefox 21.0 & IE-8 (latest updates installed).

When I tried to play Flash-based videos, I got an error message stating that I needed to update to the latest version of Flash Player.  So I did -- twice (uninstall, re-install, restart).  Now I still can't play  videos -- I can play YouTube vids, but not ones embedded into websites.  I get the same error message that I need to update to the latest Flash Player (which I already have) and I couldn't figure out what was wrong.  I just now noticed that the latest Flash update requires 2.33 GHz, which I obviously don't have, so it appears that my system cannot launch and utilize the Flash Player...??  What can I do?  It would be crazy if I can't play videos on my system -- it's not THAT antiquated (still supported by Microsoft), and many people still have these old laptops.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of flash player does it say you have when you go here - http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Have you tried a clean install? Please delete all files and folders in step 4 - http://forums.adobe.com/message/4041846#4041846

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

Both Boxes at the link are blank.  I can't view the video or the display of the version.  However, according to Add/Remove Programs in Ctl Panel, I have version 11.7.700.202 installed.

Thank you for the link for the clean install. (The video on that page does play since it was from YouTube, which I don't have issues with).  I will have to try the clean install later as I have many browser windows open that I cannot close right now.

My ultimate concern is that the system requirements state that I need 2.33 GHz processor to run updated Flash.  I have only 1.86 GHz.  Isn't this going to be a problem regardless of the clean install?  Will I get jerky videos, will my system crash, or will it simply not work regardless?

If so, is there a workaround in which I can play embedded videos on my system?

Thanks again.

[private data removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be a bit slower but I don't see a reason that it won't install soley based on processor power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  I was finally able to resolve this -- partially it resolved itself and it partially needed further input from me.  It was a complex combination of several factors.  Once I closed all the browser windows I had open, disabled some programs and the firewall, reinstalled the plug-in for Firefox, and temporarily enabled some scripts, I was able to get it to work.  I can see videos again!

But for embedded videos on sites such as MSN, I do get this annoying pop-up every time I try to play a video, saying that the widget wants to store a file on my computer, and it blocks the video until I click on it numerous times to make it go away.  I think it might be a tracking-cookie request, but I'm not sure. (I also think the "file" request (cookie?) is not from the same source each time, depending on the website/page I'm on.  The example below is from Microsoft, but it changes.)

I know this is probably due to some security settings I have, but I wish I could make it go away without lowering my security settings.  I think I have my security settings pretty high with cookies set to prompt.  I'm afraid if I block all cookies automatically I'll lose functionality without realizing it or why and I'd rather not lower my security settings.  Do you have any ideas for this?  I've included a screenshot example of the pop-up.  You'll have to zoom in on the page to read it -- sorry.

Thanks for all your help!Video Cookie Request.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. You can control all of that in the Flash Player Setting Manager.  Just go into your control panel and look for flash player. Then it should open up into the Storage tab. Click on Local Storage Settings by Site > Add. Click on the Ask me for permission drop down menu and click block. Add the site and flash player should take care of that from now on. Be warned, if you block some of these they may not serve your video to you. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, Perfect!  Thanks!  So, just to be clear, what are these locally stored files for -- are these tracking cookies that are added, or other file types related to the functionality of the video player? It seems to me that they are cookies since I always click on deny, but the video plays anyway.  But I do have to click "Deny" numerous times while the immovable pop-up window is blocking the video already playing in the background.  It's really annoying.

I went to the tab you mentioned in the Flash Player utility.  There are about 6 website widgets listed on there from websites I've visited lately.  If these are simply placing tracking cookies for ad marketing, then I'd like to remove them all from the list and block all future ones.  But I will wait for your confirmation to be sure.

If they are blocked, then will I still see all of the video displays, but not be able to play some of them unless I add them back to the list or click on "allow" by default?

Thanks so much for your help.

[private data removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think most of your questions can be answered here http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help06.html

In short, Adobe does not have access to this information (unless Adobe has created the application that wants to save the information).

Yes, unfortunately the Flash Player Setting Manager will only let you block the content, as oppsed to deny the content the rights to use more space than alloted.  Block will block the content all together. Deny will allow the content to resume without allocating more space on your harddrive.

So if you don't want content blocked, I would suggest not blocking anything.

Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't mean that Adobe was placing the tracking cookies; I meant were the files that are being locally stored tracking cookies from the website hosting the video (example in image attached above)?

And also the same in the Flash utility under local storage settings...there are a bunch of websites listed there..looks like maybe tracking cookies listed...?? ...probably for marketing??

Thanks for the block-vs-deny info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Oh fantastic...I just clicked on that link dandab provided.  Helpful -- that did fairly well answer my questions. Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a public forum; please do not post your email address or other private data (by sending the entire forum notification message with all its headers back to the forum).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, Thank you so much for removing my private info.!!  I had no idea that was getting inserted.  I guess I was using the e-mail reply when I wasn't supposed to?!  I didn't realize...sorry, and huge thanks for the alert!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines