Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Shockwave may be busy... etc... error box keeps coming up

May 19, 2013 May 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am SOOOOOO sick of this issue.  I have posted asking for help,  advice and etc... in many different sites including THIS ONE, and no one  seems to know how to fix this. For about the last month or so, I have  had a problem with my adobe flash, or shockwave flash or what ever the  hell you want to call it. I say this last part because I have been told  they are the same, and I have been told they are different. Here is a  screen shot of the damn pop up box I keep getting, it also shows how I  am also often told that I need to install adobe flash to view something  even though I DO have it installed already.

unresponsive plugin.JPG

The  issue: It seems like every couple of mins at times, my browser will  freeze, then after a few seconds to mins, I get the above shown pop up  box about my unresponsive plugin. Usually when I click the continue  button, after a few mins the page continues to work. This usually only  lasts a few mins before it freezes again and I get the pop up box AGAIN.  Sometimes it stays unfrozen for a while, and I have no issues but this  is very rare.  Now if I click the stop plugin option, this usually makes  adobe flash crash altogether, and I have to refresh everything.  Sometimes my page does not unfreeze at all, even after clicking the  continue button, my browser does not unfreeze, and I have to open my  task manager, and shut it all down manually. As for the other issue,  where I am told I have to download adobe flash to view something, this  does not happen EVERY time I try viewing something, but it does happen, I  would say maybe 2-8 times out of 10 it happens. It has happened while  trying to view videos, commercials I get while playing games sometimes,  or many other things, I am saying this because I want to make sure you  understand it is NOT just when I am on facebook or something, I just  happened to take the screenshot above while on FB when it happened this  most recent time to make this post here with.

Ok  so I have tried a LOT of things to fix this. I more then once tried  uninstalling and then reinstalling adobe flash, I did so following the  instructions for a CLEAN INSTALL as I was directed by someone else to  try. In case the issue was something to do with my anti virus, or fire  wall or etc... I have also tried uninstalling, then reinstalling while  my windows firewall was turned OFF, as well as my anti virus turned off.  I have tried uninstalling my browsers as well, then reinstalling them  AFTER reinstalling adobe.

According  to the flash checker thing on the adobe site itself, I DO have the most  current version installed, I also checked the page to see if it was  supposed to be working properly, and according to your site it said my  adobe flash WAS working fine, the images and etc... displayed fine. All  of my browsers and etc... are also ALL up to date. I have made sure that  ALL of my adobe products are up to date, the reader, active x,  shockwave, etc...

I  have tried everything and yet I still keep getting this message box,  and often enough I get the message saying adobe needs to be installed to  view something. I had not installed anything, nor had I made any  changes to my comp or system prior to this problem starting, though if I  am not mistaken, I think I HAD just upgraded to the newest version OF  adobe at the time, this was over a month ago now...

I  also want to add, so that I don't start getting suggestions to do so...  I do not have a virus on my comp. I have checked and rechecked my  system using a few different programs like windows defender,  malwarebytes, my anti virus Avast!, Spybot Search & Destroy,  Microsoft Safety Scanner and possibly other ones as well, and none of  them have ever found any malware, adware, or viruses.

As  for my system and info: I mostly use firefox (yes most recent version),  however recently I did download and try using Google Chrome in order to  find out if this was a firefox issue or something, as someone suggested  once. I encountered the SAME pop up box, and message while using Google  Chrome, as well as while using IE, which tells me even more this is not  a "browser" problem, but more an adobe/shockwave/flash or whatever  problem. I have windows 7 home premium on my comp, it is the 64-bit  operating system.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
May 22, 2013 May 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

124 views... but no replies? Can't ANYONE please help me with this issue? PLEASE???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lady Ann..just wanted to let you know you are not alone in this and I as well as you wish something was being done...I have the same problem...same everything...and I have had no luck in getting help at all...I even went so far as allowing more storage for my games so that they could move around better..I do not click anything when the box comes up I wait for a few seconds then click outside the box 9 out of 10 times it disapears and all is fine but I do get that 1 time where it crashes...this isn't a solution but at least I don't have to reload as often as I used to....If I get any get any kind of response back I will be sure to pass it on to you..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not normal behavior.  If this occurs with all Flash content, then I would suspect that there is another factor at work here that is interfering with Flash's operation (possibly virus scanner, malware, etc.)  If it occurs primarily with one website or game, then I would suggest posting the link so we can take a look.

Since this occurs with more than one browser for Lady Ann, then my first inclination wouldn't be Flash (since they all use different versions) but something else on the operating system that is interfering.

Of course, the typical troubleshooting steps remain:

1. Clean your cache

2. Do a clean install of Flash Player

3. Update your video card drivers

4. Reboot your system

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I get the pop up I send a report each time as well sending a report when it does fully crash...yes that has happened, daily as a matter of fact.....its not just one paticular place or game its anywher flash is being use...as for your other sugeestions they have been done so many times and its frustrating when thats all I am being told to do....my system is different from Lady Anns as in regards to virus programs and such...cant belive its a system problem when we have nothing in common accept Flash PLayer....I have even down graded flash to an earlier version..the pop up is stated different and in one version I never got a pop up, it just crashed not once but many times in a day...so for me its a Flash problem and I wish Adobe would take the time to actually look into it

Also in repy to bshrty...I do not have or have never had Adobe Air so that solution wouldn't work for me as of now I don't even have Flash for IE figured it best to deal with one instead of two...so the version for Firefox is the only one I have installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for these suggestions. I tried #1 only, and so far, so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 31, 2013 May 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a big problem that has just emerged and an urgent remedy is needed. The Firefox forum says it's a plug-in problem. This forum suspects "another factor". Meanwhile, users are seeing their businesses grind to a halt while they wait for a conclusive remedy.

We have several computers and they're all affected. There are no viruses and nothing new has been installed. Whether this affects just Firefox or other browsers and whether other factors are at work, nobody cares and everyone expects Adobe to grasp the thorn, investigate, reproduce the problem in their labs and provide a solution urgently.

Without a solution, I would predict that those businesses which are losing money are going to start sueing and when that happens, the floodgates will open and everyone will start. I'd therefore suggest that rather then discussing whether this should be on the Shockwave or Flash forum (no-one cares) or suggesting trivial solutions that everyone has tried already, Adobe provides a concrete answer to the problem.

JN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Campbell wrote:

This is not normal behavior.  If this occurs with all Flash content, then I would suspect that there is another factor at work here that is interfering with Flash's operation (possibly virus scanner, malware, etc.)  If it occurs primarily with one website or game, then I would suggest posting the link so we can take a look.

Since this occurs with more than one browser for Lady Ann, then my first inclination wouldn't be Flash (since they all use different versions) but something else on the operating system that is interfering.

Of course, the typical troubleshooting steps remain:

1. Clean your cache

2. Do a clean install of Flash Player

3. Update your video card drivers

4. Reboot your system

Same steps if you get the identical error msg, but starting "Shockwave Player..."? If not, could you pls refer me to where you provide the steps?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ Chris Campbell, thanks for the reply... however as I mentioned in my posting, I already did a clean install, more then once actually. I also have cleand my cache on both my browser and my adobe flash itself often ( I DID do it again after reading your suggestion still no change). My video card is up to date, as of a month ago, and when I saw your post I checked again and it is still up to date. Also as mentioned in my posting, I have tried doing an instal with both my windows firewall, and my anti-virus's turned off. I have also tried browsing a site I know to be safe while these were still off, and I still got the pop up box about the flash player as shown in the image I posted here. It does not happen with any one site primarily, it has happened on any site that has flash content. As far as I know and can tell I have no malware, virus or etc... on my computer. I say this because I have scanned and used many things to make sure I do not, after this started happening. Windows defender, that other scanner thing on the windows site (I forget the name now), as well as things like malware bytes, spybot search and destroy, etc... including my own anti-virus which is Avast! and none of these ever find anything, they all say my comp is good. I keep all of my programs up to date including my windows related things, my browser, and etc... I also do a disk defragment when needed, and a disk cleanup once a day or more depending on how active I am. Other then recent adobe updates, windows updates or the like no other changes have been made to my comp, nothing else has been installed right before or around the time this issue began.

So if you actually read through this, you will see I have tried a LOT of things to figure this out. I have searched the web for a solution, I have read through your forums, I have asked in different places other then this site. What I DO find is that I am NOT alone, there are tons and tons of other people with this exact same problem, and for them as for me it just started a couple of months ago. What I am NOT finding is any solutions, only people suggesting the same things you have, which I like to call a "cookie cutter" response. Suggestions to update all of my stuff, try a clean install, try a new browser, clean cache, etc... and I have done all of these things too many times. As I mentioned I even tried uninstalling adobe & uninstalling my browser. Then reinstalling adobe first, then my browser, this didn't change anything, so then I did it all again only next I installed my browser first and then adobe, still no change. At this time I tried again without my anti virus turned on, and etc... nothing ever changed, I still got online, and got the pop up box. So PLEASE help me. Someone in your organization has to know something... I had been working online, now I am unable to work because one of the things I needed to be able to do, I am unable to do reliably anymore without this issue happening. PLEASE help...

@bshrty, thanks for your suggestion, I did uninstalled adobe air, but I still have the same problem, nothing changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2013 Jun 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem has been bugging me as well.  After some trawling the web, I hit on something that fixed it.  Disable the Silverlight Plug-In in Firefox.  Looks like Silverlight and Flash don't play nice with each other. Let me know if this works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I have the same problem as Lady Anne. I have posted elsewhere on this forum but not got any intelligible replies so I'll add my pennyworth here:

IT IS AN ADOBE PROBLEM.

It happened this morning as soon as I had downloaded the latest version. I know your stock answer @Chris Campbell, is that it lies elsewhere. But Adobe is careless with its updates as I found with the last reader update. (It broke Canon scanning software - because you changed the directory in which Acrord32 is situated - once I realised that it was easy to fix, but it was a bug introduced by Adobe).

But I digress. What is happening is that when I scroll in a game it freezes. If I scroll with the mouse I just have to wait and pick my nose or something till it deigns to unfreeze. However if I use the bar at the side of the Firefox screen it works just, interspersed with flashes of a blank screen. Perhaps this will give you a clue as to what is happening?

FYI I am using Windows XP Pro and Firefox with all the latest updates. I don't use Adobe Air (what is it?). I am trying to play Forge of Empires (so it is not quite as critical as Lady Anne's).

Also fyi there is another bug I would mention that was present before the latest update. Flash crashes when the screen turns off. When I move my mouse to reactivate the screen and click to log in again I find the flash has crashed and I have to wait a minute or two (if the focus is on that window in Firefox) and reload the page.

I will go back to an older version, as suggested, and let you know what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 13, 2013 Jun 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this problem and couldn't think why it had suddenly happened. I had bought a Western Digital Passport external drive and installed it. I uninstalled all the software (which you don't need anyway) and it fixed the problem. For some reason there was a conflict between the WD software and the Shockwave stuff.

Simply uninstalling all the WD junk fixed it.

By the way, the WD is a good drive and not having the software doesn't prevent it from being password protected.

JN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No answer, just commiseration. This has been happening to me for about a week. Really bad in Firefox, but also happens sometimes in IE and Chrome. I'm not a techie -- just frustrated.

Update 5/29/2013 -- I tried Chris Campbell's suggestion above,#1  clean cache. So far, so good.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lady Ann, I made an account just so I can assist; this problem almost shut down my business with its incessant irritations.

I think I can help you. I started having this exact issue directly after installing/updating Adobe AIR. I UNinstalled it completely, and ALL issues disappeared immediately. I also got two other people at my work to try it, and it fixed their probelms as well. Give that a try and it should work for you as well. I just left the thing off my system completely, I will not be bothering with it again.

On an important side note, Adobe:

When MULTIPLE people are having the SAME ISSUES on various type of computers, OS's, and browsers at the SAME TIME, logic dictates that the issue is ON YOUR END, does it not? By tossing out prearranged default "answers" that it is always something on our end is, frankly, lazy, and drives your once-loyal customers far, far away. I say this in such direct terms only because this pattern of behavior is rampant in the forums when people politely and patiently ask for help and get pat responses that....defy common sense and logic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bshrty:  I have tried everything else so I am going to give your advice a shot.  I have already uninstalled Adobe Air so I will see how it goes.  I will let you know what happens.  Thank you for the support.  I agree with you that customer support should do more when so many people are complaining about the same problem.  Even if this doesn't work for me thanks again for the advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lady_Ann,  I've been having the exact same issue mostly when I play the Village Life Facebook game but it also happens sometimes with other games or sites.  It is VERY frustrating!  I thought it was Firefox's new plug-in container for awhile but now I see that it is an Adobe issue.  I've done all the suggested things and even done what Firefox suggested but nothing helps.

I'm using Windows XP and Firefox.  Everything up to date.

Adobe, this problem is on your end and is probably affecting more people than just the ones posting here.  Please take a serious look at our problems.  If you need to contact me directly, please let me know.  I will help however I can to get this issue fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warning:  Unresponsive Plugin

Shockwave Flash may be busy, or it may have stopped responding.  You can stop the plug now, or you can continue to see if the plugin will complete.

FAO Chris Campbell, Arpit Kapoor, Rave, Jeromie Clark, Hitomi Kudo, libflashplayer.so -

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5402430#5402430

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the next things I'd try if this was my machine.

1. Revert back to a previous version of Flash Player to see if you can determine when the problem started occurring.  It would be great if we could narrow this down and, for example, find that it started with 11.6.602.180.   That'll give Adobe something to work with to reproduce the issue (which we have not been able to, as this would be a release blocking problem if it was easily reproducible.)  From there you can choose to use the most recently working 11.x version or you can roll back to the latest 10.3 version of Flash Player to receive all of the latest security updates.

How do I revert to a previous version of Flash Player?

Where do I find previous versions of Flash Player?

2. If it happens with older versions of Flash, then I'd start to suspect something else happening on my system.  First, I'd try rebooting in safe mode with networking enabled.  This should disable all third party utilities and services from starting and possibly interfering with Flash Player.  If Flash works fine under this mode, then it's a matter of determining what else is loading at startup and eliminating the possible causes.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/start-your-computer-in-safe-mode

http://www.netsquirrel.com/msconfig/msconfig_win7.html

3. If it still occurs in Safe mode, then see if either of the two Microsoft KB updates have been applied to your system:

KB2670838 – Platform Update for Windows 7 x64

KB2670838 - Platform Update for Windows 7 x64

If so, and you have verified that all of your video drivers are up to date, uninstall them and see if that makes a difference.  We've had reports from users that this can cause problems with Flash Player (though typically these symptoms are video and audio related.)

4. Finally, I'd report this as a bug to the Adobe bugbase.adobe.com bug database.  Details of what we absolutely must have for investigation can be found here:

How do I report a Flash Player crash to Adobe?

After entering the bug, the next most crucial step would be telling other people with the same problem about your bug report.  Provide a link to your bug here and other community locations so that people effected can add their comments and votes.  A bug with no comments or votes just won't carry the same weight as a bug with multiple other users chiming in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2013 Aug 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a suggestion

1 offer to pay one of the people here to do all this experimenting for you.  $100, a free copy of some software, something.

2 ask your boss today to get the error message changed from (shockwave flash .....) to either shockwave or flash.  And if he can't use your companies suggestions system, and quality system (because there can't be a person on this planet who thinks what happens now is good)

My contribution - it happens to me not only on existing systems but also on DAY ONE on a newly installed PC   Vista Business installed on a blank replacement HDD.  You could even try that for yourself.  (firefox, ie, thunderbird, office 97!, open office

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2013 Aug 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the following systems that ALL were "day one" within the last two months (as in: I had NONE of them prior to June 23, 2013 - NONE of them at all)

Windows XP SP3 (IE8)

Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 (IE9)

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (IE10)

WIndows 8 (IE10)

Mac OS X 10.7.5 (Safari 6/0/5)

Mac OS X 10.8.4 (Safari 6.0.5)

Every one of these systems also has Firefox 23, Flash Player 11.8.800.94 (or 11.8.800.127 - debugger), and Shockwave 12.0.3r133 plugins installed and NONE of them have this error in either the default OS browser or Firefox.

I DID have a WIndows 7 e-machine with anAMD Sempron processor (single core - 32 bit), 2GB of 667mHz DDR, and Nvidia integrated graphics with 128Mb of VRAM... and it had this error ALL THE TIME. I uninstalled BOTH the Shockwave Flash plugin, AND the Flash Player plugin. I then downloaded the Shockwave FULL installer and the latest Flash Player and installed them IN THAT ORDER, and the error messages disappeared.

Another factor is possibly that I run AdBlock in ALL my browsers, and it completely disables Flash ads, many of which use Shockwave to enable links in the ads. As long as those don;t ever appear, there is no call to the Shockwave plugin for them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I investigated this on the Adobe site. Evidently Real Player is not compatible with Flash Player. I checked my programs list and there it was. I had not downloaded it (that I recall). I uninstalled it. So far, this has worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2013 Aug 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Edit:
This did not work for long. Solution: Use Intenet Explorer

If you're using Firefox... I tried all of the advice from Mozilla & it did not work, but tried this & it did:

In Firefox, type about:config in the address bar & press Enter.
Type dom.max_script_run_time in the Search box.
Double-click the entry & change it to a higher number (it was set to 10 so I set it to 99999999 to stop Firefox annoying me every time I debug).

I expect it would popup after a long wait, but it allows more time. This will probably allow other scripting errors to continue, but using Tab Mix's Session Manager I can just end the process when necessary, restart Firefox and close the offending page before it loads.

I used a higher number for a while, but eventually started getting 'A script on this page may be busy' errors. You might need to lower the value if this happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines