9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2014 6:34 PM by Franck Payen

Control DPS with an Edge animation

Alán_M

I'm looking for a way to interact in a DPS file with an Edge animation.

For example : want to press button made in Edge and make it change a page in a DPS file…

Other examples are possible but mainly i want to "control" the DPS navigation with an Edge nav menu.

Think it's possible ?

• 1. Re: Control DPS with an Edge animation
          AllDayDev Adobe Employee

A quick search of the DPS documentation shows that they support "navto://" links. You might try putting some of these links in the Edge Animate composition, referring to either InDesign articles or anchor links that you create.

Here's the article I am referring to: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/digitalpubsuite/using/WS67cb9e293e2f1f60-8ad81e812b10bfd837-80 00.html#WS9293e1fb3b977c5c53fe9e2612b12c9933c-8000

I don't personally have much experience with DPS, though, so hopefully someone else can reply to give you some more suggestions. Perhaps you can also post your question on the DPS forum area.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Control DPS with an Edge animation
            Alán_M Level 1

I had searched a lot before posting here but my keywords were not as good/clever as yours

I will try this asap.

Thanks so much for this answer.

• 3. Re: Control DPS with an Edge animation
              Alán_M Level 1

Unfortunately the navto:// command does not from edge into dps.

The question remains opened

• 4. Re: Control DPS with an Edge animation
                Franck Payen MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Hi Alán, as you noticed, navto:// doesn't operate outside of the edge comp inside of a dps animation. I'm looking around this issue, because it should be a question of scope of the commands.

Right now, in Edge, if you want to go to a URL (and add the desired code snippet) it gives us a javascript :

Symbol.bindElementAction(compId, symbolName, "${_Button}", "click", function(sym, e) {

window.open("navto://DPSDocPage2#1", "_self");

});

Whereas if you try in a regular basic HTML doc :

<body style="margin:0;padding:0;">

<a href="navto://DPSDocPage2#1" id="button">

Page2

</a>

</body>

It works like a charm, wether on desktop or on iPad…

So i wonder if we can have another kind of code snippet to navigate.

• 5. Re: Control DPS with an Edge animation
                  Alán_M Level 1

i have to try this

Thanks Franck

• 6. Re: Control DPS with an Edge animation
                    soyoko Level 2

well i want to make some menu items in edge animate - so i can animate them and import the menu into in design so i can save it out to dps    the navto command works to go to a url but not a page of my pdf   any ideas ?

• 7. Re: Control DPS with an Edge animation

Months later, i answer my own question by navigating to the forum :

Here and there are 2 solutions i found to navigate in the Folio.

First one, and easy, in Animate, replace window.open("navto://url","_self"); by window.location ="navto://url"

'navtos' are working in edge with:

window.location = "navto://articlename"

Second one is more complex but might help you automate :

This problem is caused because Edge uses window.open JavaScript method to open URLs.

We have created a work around by appending an anchor <a> tag inside the <div> that should be linked. Here are the details:

1. You no longer need to add an Action to the <div> that will be clickable.
                      2. Instead, add the following code as a Trigger. By going to Timeline => Insert Trigger

var myElementVar = sym.lookupSelector('myElementID');

$(myElementVar).append($('<a style="display:block;width:100%;height:100%;" href="navto://MyArticleLink" />'));

* Note that "myElementID" should be the ID of the clickable <div> element.
                        * You can also change myElementVar to distinguish it from other variables.
                        * You can repeat the above code for each clickable element. Note that you'll need to change myElementID and myElementVar to be unique.
                      3. Save the Trigger and test.

This will create an <a> tag inside the <div> that you want to be clickable, instead of calling window.open JavaScript method, which will work seamlessly on Adobe Content Viewer when published to Adobe Digital Publishing.

Hope this helps someone else

BTW those functions don't seem to work on Desktop viewer, but work on the device, so you have to try for real.

Oh, by the way, Piotr Walczyszyn made a youtube video explaining the full workflow (watch start at 5'30)

• 8. Re: Control DPS with an Edge animation
                        Cjoe

Bonjour Frank,

MILLES MERCI ca ma vraiment vraiment vraiment aider alors que je cherche ça depuis longtemp GOD BLESS YOU

Par la meme occasion svp sur une animation Edge comment svp masquer et faire réapparaitre une image ou un élément avec un boutton fermer pour masquer l'élément

Merci bcp

• 9. Re: Control DPS with an Edge animation

Par la meme occasion svp sur une animation Edge comment svp masquer et faire réapparaitre une image ou un élément avec un boutton fermer pour masquer l'élément

1. Ça mériterait un autre sujet.

2. Si vous préférez en français, alors, je vous invite sur le forum en question : forums.adobe.com/community/international_forums/francais

Ici, on est en anglais, sur le forum dédié DPS