• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I get Indesign CS6 to open JPG/PNG files?

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2013 Mar 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently purchased Indesign CS6. When I went to import a PNG, it failed to recognize it. I then tried a JPG to no avail. The exact error message reads as follows:

"Cannot open the file "photo.png". Adobe Indesign May not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be in another application."

How could the plug-ins be missing? Wouldn't these be installed with Indesign? Any advice as to how to proceed?.

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 02, 2013 Mar 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to use the file>place command.

This is very, very basic and I'd respectfully suggest that you take a step back and learn a bit about the program. This link will get you a free one week trial of Lynda.com where you'll find some fabulous video training: http://bit.ly/RS0GXs

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2013 Jun 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is one of the occassions where I wish Adobe would put a bit more information and recognise it's an image format and say "You are trying to open an image file in InDesign - to Place the image in the Layout go to File>Place and choose the image from your location. <insert link to placing images on help file>"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2017 Sep 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2021 May 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue with a recent download of the problem, but have been using the program for a decade. Elitist answers not necessery. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't be daft Barrett, merely use Place like the good folk say. I have no idea why you consider correct advice elitist, but I don't care either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You haven't been using the program for 10 minutes, no less 10 years if you think you can OPEN a graphic file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's a beginner's answer from her post that's been here nearly 8 years:

I open a new document. On my Mac I use command-D. It takes me to my desktop or to a folder. If it's the wrong place, I back out to the desktop and from there I choose whatever location my image is at. When I see the location, I click on the 'open' on the bottom right of the page and the image opens in the document. You can't open images directly.

By @Rebecca_Penso

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I open a new document. On my Mac I use command-D. It takes me to my desktop or to a folder. If it's the wrong place, I back out to the desktop and from there I choose whatever location my image is at. When I see the location, I click on the 'open' on the bottom right of the page and the image opens in the document. You can't open images directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines