Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem linking to PDF file from generated help

Jun 14, 2008 Jun 14, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp HTML, Version 7.02 to create WebHelp, and I cannot open a PDF file that I linked to some text in a topic. (I created a PDF file that contains all of the help system's topics so users can print them all.)

I can open the PDF file just fine when I preview the topic, but I cannot open the PDF file from the generated help system. (I set up the link to open in a new window.) When I click the link for the PDF file, nothing happens, not even an error message. If I right-click the link and select Properties from the menu, the Properties dialog box shows the following path to the file:

file:///C:/Users/Myname/Documents/My%20RoboHelp%20Projects/project%20folder%20 name/!SSL!/WebHelp/print_all_help_topics.pdf

To create the link, I first copied the PDF file into my project folder, Then I right-clicked the Baggage Files folder and selected New>Baggage File, and clicked Open to add the file to my Baggage Files folder. Then I dragged the file name from the Baggage Files folder onto the selected text in my topic, saved all and generated the WebHelp.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can fix this problem? Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to our community, claywriter

Probably you are seeing Mark of the Web in action. Double-click your WebHelp layout and look at the first dialog. Is mark of the web selected?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick.

Yes, mark of the web is selected. I just turned that option off and re-generated and the PDF opens just fine, but of course, I'm getting the Internet Explorer message that my browser is trying to restrict the webpage from running ActiveX controls ... I was using mark of the web so that my customer's users won't get this message, although I don't know what ActiveX controls my help system would be running. I'm just hoping that my customer doesn't balk at this message appearing. Is turning off mark of the web is my only choice for getting the link to work?

Thanks for your help and your welcome message. In case you can't tell, I'm a newbie to RoboHelp. BTW, your website was invaluable in helping me to create the link to begin with. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again

Happy to help!

Question for you. Where will the WebHelp be when your customer opens it? Will they be running it from their local drive or will they be accessing it from a server?

If they are accessing from a server, you should have no worries about them seeing the information bar. But if they are running locally and you have Mark of the Web enabled, well, you have an issue with the PDF links, as Mark of the Web inhibits any link such as that.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Customers will be running help from within a web app on a web server. It's good to know that they won't see the information bar. I suppose I'm seeing it because I'm running the help locally. (I haven't delivered the help system yet, so the developer hasn't put it on the web server or linked to it from the app.)

Thanks again for all your help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 04, 2008 Nov 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slightly after the event but thanks Peter for the solution to my mornings problems - was on the verge of throwing the laptop out of the window when I found your solution to my linking to external files problem.

Thanks again
Marian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooops sorry I mean thanks Rick - was thinking it was Peter Grainge who'd answered for some reason!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Understandable...ever since swimming together in the Dead Sea, they're looking more and more alike with each passing day.

Hmmmm.....Might this be the sign that signals the approach of the Rapture?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
LOL - That's doubtful. I don't recall visiting Megiddo on that trip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp