• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get my ereader to appear on the left hand side of Digital Editions?

New Here ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Kobo Vox ereader and it works well.  It connects to my computer and appears  when I look at My Computer.  It doesn not appear on the left hand side of Digital Editions under Devices (devices does not appear either) when ADE is started.  The book I downloaded appears in ADE and is readable in ADE.  How do I get the Kobo to appear within ADE so I can transfer the book.  ADE does not seem to see the device to ask me to register it as the help screen suggest it might.  I've made sure that it is connected before I open ADE.  Please help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 14, 2013 Jun 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are lots of bugs in ADE2.0.  These include not seeing some eReaders.

Try replacing ADE2.0 with the older but more reliable v1.7.2.

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Some eReaders (mainly Sony's) need special drivers installed before ADE will see them, even though they appear on My Computer without.

Not sure if that is true for Kobo Vox, check the instrucrtions that came with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got the older version and ADE still does not show my Pandigital eReader. My issue is the eReader shows up on my desktop, but not on the laptop that I am using. I deactivated the reader from the desktop and reactived the laptop with new information. Any idea how I can get ADE to recognize the eReader. I hear the sound that the eReader is connected, but the reader just goes into PC Mode and does not appear in ADE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The eReader is authorized/activated with an AdobeID rather than with a computer.

It is possible to have multiple computers and multiple devices all authorized with the same ID.

The eReader gets its authorization when you Authorize Device from any computer;

and then should work find when connected to any other computer authorized with the same ID.

~~~

One possible reason for your issue is that you haven't authorized the laptop with your AdobeID.

In that case ADE generates an anonymous/implicit ID with very limited capabilities.

In particular, one capability missing is the ability to pass the implicit ID onto a device;

so it is possible (???) that in that case ADE does not show the device.

If that is the case

1. ctrl-shift-D to ADE (cmd-shift-D if it's a Mac) on the laptop to remove the anonymous ID
  2. restart ADE (maybe not needed)
  3. authorize ADE with the same ID as you are using on the desktop
  4. restart ADE (maybe not needed)
  5. plug in the eReader and see if it is recognized

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I already did this. Is there something I need to do on the

Pandigital eReader?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be that you need special driver software (really irritating).

Sony eReaders do.  Without the driver they show up as a Windows mounted drive, but won't show up in ADE.

The driver is installed with Sony Reader software supplied with the eReader;

you don't need to run the Sony Reader software, just install it to make sure the driver is installed.

I don't know if the same is true of your Pandigital.  Check the manual that came with it just in case.

There wasn't any such nonsense with a Bookeen Opus I had.

~~~

There are lots of bugs in ADE2.0.  One of these is that it is stoppy about recognizing some eReaders.

Try replacing ADE2.0 with the older but more reliable v1.7.2.

Version 1.7.2, it is a little difficult to find, available on Adobe site for Windows and for Mac.

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-editions/kb/cant-install-digital-editions.html

The forum software is sometimes corrupting the link above.  There shouldn't be a blank in 'editio ns.html'.  The following redirects to the same page: http://tinyurl.com/diged172

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for trying to help me. After much searching I did find

and load the older version of ADE, but it still did not display

the Pandigital ereader.

I might try reloading the Pandigital driver. This is so frustrating! I do

have a Sony eReader also, but it does not display in color, so I don't use

it.

I was also looking at downloading software for Windows other than ADE. Any

recommendations????

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The only two I know of for Windows that support DRM are ADE and Sony Reader.

You can download and use the Sony Reader software even if you didn't have a Sony.

They are both pretty poor: I find ADE1.7.2 the least bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines