• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

migrating from WinHelp to HtmlHelp

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2007 Feb 15, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp X5 for MS Word. We've been using WinHelp in our apps, but since Vista doesn't support it, we have to migrate to HtmlHelp. So, I created another Single Source Layout and built it. I then ran CSH test to see if I could display a message. I selected the generated .chm, selected a map file, and a mapped #. When I clicked 'Show Help' nothing happened.

I can find the topic in RoboHelp and the properties have the same ID and map # as in the map file. I can run the .chm standalone and search for the message and display it. So, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the .chm file. Just the map links.

What is a little peculiar is that I don't get any response at all from CSH Test. Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2007 Feb 16, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe I have found the problem. I opened one of the sampe help projects that used a map file (.hh) and generated the help file and successfully ran CSH test on a several map ID's. I then noticed that .hm files (what we used for WinHelp) are in a different format than .hh - .hh use #define <helpid> <mapid> where, .hm uses just <helpid> <mapid>. So, copied and re-formated the .hh so that it was a .hm. Lo and behold, CSH test didn't work.

My conclusion is that HtmlHelp doesn't work with .hm map files. Is this true? Are there other differences between WinHelp and HtmlHelp that we should know about? I suspect there will be a mad rush to leave WinHelp in favor of HtmlHelp, since Vista doesn't support WinHelp. Maybe a whitepaper about migrating would be helpful.

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2007 Feb 21, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi Phil

I came to the same conclusion that HTMLHelp doesn't work with .hm files. RoboHelp recognizes the map ids and numbers, so I'm able to assign the map ids to topics. But after I generate the HTMLHelp, and try to open it within our application I get no response.

Our developers wrote a simple program that converts .hm files to .h files. (It simply adds the #define statement at the beginning of every line.) When I import this file I don't need to reassign the map ids because RoboHelp already recognizes that I've mapped them from the .hm file. So everything works. I just took a little tinkering to figure out the problem.

- Maura

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 19, 2007 Feb 19, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Phil

As far as I'm aware, the software calling the help file needs to call the <filename>.chm::/<filename>.html

This is how we have implemented it.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp