• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a map ID to an external link using RoboHelp 5?

New Here ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work on RoboHelp 5.0 to create JavaHelp files that are intergrated with a Netbeans application. I have been asked to add the following references the <appname>Help_map.xml file: 

•    <mapID target="org.netbeans.core.windows.options.WinSysOptionsPanelController" url="Options.htm" /> 
  •    <mapID target="netbeans.optionsDialog.general" url="Options.htm" /> 

However, I am not sure how to go about doing this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Following is how the _map.xml file looks when opened in notepad++

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='ISO-8859-1' ?>

<!DOCTYPE map PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems Inc.//DTD JavaHelp Map Version 1.0//EN" "http://java.sun.com/products/javahelp/map_1_0.dtd">

<map version="1.0">

<mapID target="intro_screen_htm" url="intro_Screen.htm" />

<mapID target="Introducing_Product_" url="Introducing_Abc.htm" />

<mapID target="html8_popup_topic_htm" url="html8_popup_topic.htm" />

</map>

I attempted to create the map ID using the following steps but it failed:

1.          Clicked the Project Setup tab.

2.          Clicked the Context-Sensitive Help folder.

3.          Right-clicked All Map IDs and selected Edit.

4.          Clicked Create Map ID and entered the Topic ID as org.netbeans.core.windows.options.WinSysOptionsPanelController.

I received an error msg at this point.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite sure why you’d want a mapid to point to an external link in the first place – why not just code the reference either in a topic in the help or directly from the application itself?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that these options file are outside of the project, right? If so I see two ways going forward:

(Please note, I’ve never used JavaHelp myself)

• Generate the JavaHelp. Unpack it and change the xml file in the output.

• Follow Jeff’s suggestion and add the missing url to your help. Then use a redirect to send the user to the correct file. See http://www.robowizard.com/RoboWizard/NewProject.htm#MonthlyScry/062005.htm for more information.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for the suggestions.

Options is a file within the RoboHelp project. What the team wants is that when a person opens the application and selects Tools>Options, then switches to the General or Miscellaneous tab and presses the help button, these links need to open. The suggestion is to do this through the RoboHelp project so the Help is kept in sync with the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 18, 2013 Jun 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused - what you describe just sounds like CSH: I'm in my app, I select Tools > Options, then I go some other place in my app & I press F1 - I should get the help for the page/place I'm currently at, right? That's CSH in my book! What's different in your scenario?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that is exactly the scenario in my project too. The Help button is linked to the relevant entry in the map.xml file and takes the link reference from this file. However, i am not able to create this reference in the map.xml file using the source RoboHelp project.

I thought i could do this using the mapID feature in RH, but it's not taking the entry. I'm a new user of RoboHelp and am at a loss as to how this is done. Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You should be able to use the MapID tool within the RH project to create mappings for all your topics that you want to be able to see when the help is launched in your application. If they all exist in the MapID file (usually BSSCDefault.h in my projects) then maybe you need to check how your developer is using the file to call the help. There are a number of ways - see the CSH folders in your local copy of RH or check out Peter Grainge's site (grainge.org) or Willam van Weelden's site (wvanweelden.eu) on CSH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The help file is going through numerous changes. The problem is that it has to be updated and the JavaHelp file has to be generated quite frequently, so I'm not sure how feasible it is to constantly change the xml file in the output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp