• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC - working with paths/direct selection tool

Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Since version CS it was very easy working with paths with the direct selection tool. I just upgraded to Photoshop CC, and noticed this annoying bug:

When I select and anchor point using the Direct Selection Tool, I can no longer de-select it clicking inside the shape. This is so frustrating when working with icons.

I used to grab the Path Selection Tool to select the entire vector shape, then I switched to the Direct Selection Tool  if I wanted to modify a specific anchor point. All I needed to do was clicking inside the shape, then select the anchor point I wanted to work with. Now if I switch from the Path tool to the Direct Selection one, if I click inside the shape it doesn't deselect anything, if I click on an anchor point, it doesn't deselect the other anchor points. I figured out that if I click on the path of a different vector shape, then I can go back and select an anchor point on the vector shape I was working with, but it's too much work for de-selecting a point.

Is it a bug or a new way Photoshop CC behaves?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it must be a bug as I am experiencing similar behavior.

On a vector mask, using the Direct selection tool (or the keyboard modifier with the Pen Tool) when I select a point, the entire path is selected. Tapping outside or inside the path doesnt help. When I go back to the point, again, the entire path is selected.

If I use the Pen tool to make a new path in the same mask, for example a quick triangle or even a single point then delete it I am able to use the Direct selecton tool.

This is repeatable behaviour.

A key seems to be to never actually use the Path Select Tool as when the entire path is selected the whole bug starts again. I have disabled the Path Selection Tool Shortcut of "A" so now the only tool availabe is the Direct Selection Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this problem. Working with icons is a frustrating mess!

Hoping an update will fix this as soon as possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear I'am not alone on this. Hope they will fix it very soon, for the moment I prefer to use CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 21, 2013 Jun 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dont mind the implementation of new features as once I am used to them I use them.

However, the ability to drag across the canvas and select multiple points/paths from different layers quickly breaks down when the paths are vector masks that often lie on top of each other on different layers.

The solution is the new Isolation mode but now we have an inconsistency in layer behaviour. Double clicking vector data sets you in isolation mode to work on the vector data. Double clicking anywhere outside of the vector data gets you back.

This becomes a problem if you switched tools to work on the non vector portions of that layer. Now you have to switch back to the Path Selection tool and double click to get back. Why not allow double clicking with the move tool?

In addition, double clicking to get back out of Isolation Mode leaves you on NO layer, instead of the one you may have been working on unless you double click ON the path itself, thereby requiring one to choose a layer before continuing to work.

Now what if I want to work on pixel data in Isolation Mode. Why can I not simply double click on that data? Why is the Path Selection Tool or the Direct Selection Tool the only tool that can invoke isolation with a double click?

Furthermore, why when I use the Direct Selection tool and double click on pixel data while in isolation mode it doesnt change the Layer Filter to "Kind" but in fact turns the feature off. Requiring two operations to get it back on again!

I think perhaps it was the Vector people in the team that brought the Isolation Mode in but really didnt flesh it out for pixel data people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isolation mode toggling is available from the move tool context menu, as well as the Select menu item which can be assigned a keyboard shortcut

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I realize that but the point is its different behaviour from that of the simple double clicking while using the Path Selection Tool.

In addition, the default filter for the layers is set to "Kind". Once Isolation mode is activated via any method and then deactivated, instead of returning to Kind, the Filter feature is actually turned off. Requiring one click on the red tab to turn it back on (which sets it back to "Selected") and another to access a different Layer filter or return to Kind.

Surely that cannot be the intended behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 23, 2013 Jun 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is currently the expected behavior. You can reset the layer filter to default by option clicking on the switch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll take that Option!. Now, if you add it to the already in place contextual menu... it becomes super powerful.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Isolation mode toggling is available from the move tool context menu, as well as the Select menu item which can be assigned a keyboard shortcut"  True

"Escape key will keep the path active while deselecting all points on the path. You can also toggle to the Direct Select Tool via holding command(mac)/control(win) and click on the point/segment you want to edit." Also very true.

Wish I'd know about the escape key three hours ago! As a UX/UI designer I know that changing anything is bound to elicite complaints from users who have become accustomed to an app working a certain way. I think the point you are not understanding is that making these changes without seeming to document them anywhere is going to generate even more customer disatisfaction. The two solutions you mentioned are fine with me. I can work with that but how would I have found out about them?

I am betting you will come back with some url that points to a document listing all these changes. All that proves howerver is that someone spent the time to document all this but did not have the means to make sure users could easily find it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if it would be possible to program a feature that can:

• detect if the user is upgrading from a previous version
  • alert the user to new, minor enhancements with a dialog asking if they wish to view a tutorial of old vs new functionality.

That way, current users wouldnt be blindsided (and frustrated) by these kinds of changes.

It would also be much more tool specific than the workspace of "Whats New" which simply, although helpfully highlights menu items of new features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2013 Jun 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Escape key will keep the path active while deselecting all points on the path. You can also toggle to the Direct Select Tool via holding command(mac)/control(win) and click on the point/segment you want to edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is another issue I have found while using the direct selection tool on a point. There seems to be a 1 or 2 second delay from when you make the point to when you can use the direct selection tool (command on mac) to move it. I have a thread started here:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5431201#5431201

And here is a video of the issue:

Please tell me this is a bug and something that has a fix in the works...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign CC is defective and now we are finding defects in PSCC.

Does Adobe really think I am going to rent defective software.

At least the great thing for those that decide to try the CC is that you only have a month of rent into it, so if it is defective you can just cancel it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Was DYP You can cancel it, too. Just call your credit card company and tell them your card got hacked online. They will issue you a new card. Cancel your CC membership. Adobe cannot bill you anymore. It's that simple.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You would have thought that Adobe would have at least taken efforts to fix the bugs that are in CS6 in the released version of CC. That certainly would have help in getting people hooked on the CC drug. Showing no effort in fixing these bugs does not bode well for future updates once people are hooked onto CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also having this issue I figured out though that if you click and drag select a single point it will only select that point and you don't get the issue of selecting points from a shape on another layer like you got in previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 22, 2013 Jul 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that this is an unwanted "feature". I'm getting very frustrated working with the Direct Selection tool with vectors in Photoshop now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2013 Jul 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a UX/UI designer and this tool is CRITICAL to my workflow.  The change made to this tool's behavior is BEYOND FRUSTRATING and is completely garbling my workflow.  Please return the Direct Selection Tool to its former glory and restore the behaviors we all expect it to have.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2014 Jun 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a UI/UX designer a year later, I can confirm that this is still just as infuriating as it was last year....

Why are you FORCING your paid customers to comply with whatever "features" get added / changed / removed especially when their current workflow DEPENDS on these features? Give your customers a warning adobe, this is NOT the first time this has happened with your product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2013 Sep 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, what the heck have you done with the whole vector part of Photoshop? The Lag with the RupperBand is annoying, the merging of the Layer Mask icon into a Shape layer icon is just stupid (makes moving a vector mask to another layer so much faster and easier ... not) but the usability of the path selection tools is an insult. Not to mention the impossibility to set subtract, intersect and so on before you start drawing a path or the lag while moving a paths and anchors.

Are you guys on crack changing perfect working solutions that worked for years and create such a mess?

Nope sorry,  I wanted to update to PsCC but i don't pay a cent for such a piece of crap and stick to Cs5... what were you thinking?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2014 Nov 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have found it frustrating that i can't change to the move tool or the brush tool without losing the preview of the vector mask/path.

I use vector masks nearly every day and i like to be able to draw my path, make a vector path and then brush in a colour or clone stamp within that area.

In CS5 i could still see that path which helped me to be able to see where i'm going.

But NOW it switches off unless i am using the direct selection tool.

I would really like to know who they test these changes on and what design discipline they use it in, because it seems like it's a very narrow field of research (made obvious by the huge outcry of designers around the world).

- Staff: Please implement a "Legacy" mode for tools? Please?? Pretty please???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2014 Jun 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also very frustrated with this. I perform this kind of action hundreds of times a day.

Will someone at Adobe please address this? Isolation mode is not an answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 05, 2014 Sep 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here..... This is completely messing with my workflow.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines