• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC - Slight lag

New Here ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never had a problem with the performance of any Adobe program to date. I've been using CS6 since it was released and on my current computer, Photoshop CS6 was very responsive. I just installed Photoshop CC and was immediately shocked at the slight lag that's present with absolutely everything I do. I've heard reports with previous versions that there was a lag with the brush tool, never personally experienced it but I am seeing it now.

Besides the brush tool, I've also noticed the same 1/2 - 1 second lag when making a selection, zooming, erasing or pretty much any other tool. The odd thing is that it seems to be happening for non-intensive things as well. Even on small documents, if I hold the spacebar and drag with my mouse to pan, there's a 1/2 second delay before the pan starts, then once it gets going it's business as usual.

It seems like a dumb little issue, but when you're trying to work quickly and you're moving around a lot, having a delay before any/every action gets annoying really quickly.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 22, 2013 Jun 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It definitely sounds like a glitch.  What OS are you using?  Did you import your CS6 settings when you first opened CC.  I'm thinking of your GPU settings in the preferences > performance tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm guessing it's a glitch as well but I can't get to the bottom of it. If it did import my CS6 settings, I didn't realize it. Either way I compared the performance settings of my two versions and the only difference was that Photoshop CC had GPU enabled and CS6 did not. Changing it does not really make a difference. Going to try and uninstall and reinstall the program now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same problem with photoshop. And Indesign lags to.

GPU settings is same on both versions

OS - Windows 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If both programs show the same problem, it is most likely related to activation or fonts (because that's about all they have in common).

I'd check your system for corrupt fonts, or a corrupt OS font cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope. Photosop and Indesign is trial. And no problems with fonts.

My Photoshop and Indesign CS6 work fine.

When i start Photoshop CC my videocard becomes very hot in 5 seconds.

Photoshop CS 6 work fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've had reports of some video cards heating up or consuming excess CPU time - we are investigating, but it sounds like a bug in the OpenCL driver code for that particular family of GPUs.

But InDesign doesn't use the GPU.

So the one thing left in common between ID and PS is fonts or the OS font cache.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indesign CC works slowly than indesign CS6.

Photoshop heating up my video card about 1 minut. And then works with lags

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2013 Jul 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20 years ago I use PS 2.x on 100MGz 486 processor. And common operations

took as much time as now. Maybe less. The interface works much faster.

Versions were replaced and at some point I stopped on PS 4.x. My computer

at the time was the 500MHz Pentium III. The PS 5.0, 5,5, 6.0 was released,

I still use the PS4. Bro, that was something. With a gigabyte of RAM and a

RAID0 (2x Quantum Fireball) PS4 was just like a bullet. These were the

best years of my life. Then I updated the version and everything was like

a bad horror movie: getting worse and worse. Something similar to the old

days when I felt just before the release CS3 bought a new computer for

6000 bucks. For a while it was like comfortable work. Before CS4. So

here's a secret: every time when Adobe updates products line, you have to

buy a new computer for 6 grand. No cheating, I'm mean it. The latest

graphics card, the latest disk array, the latest CPU. Adobe will gobble up

everything. Welcome to the modern world, bro. It's way, how it working now.

Recently I meet CC, by the way. On CPU with resulting frequency almost

8GHz (80 times faster than my first PC) and a video card with a gigabyte

of video memory (god, my first PC has five times less disk space) it

like... zombie nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2013 Aug 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problems.. Windows 8 and activated Photoshop CC.

Any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2013 Sep 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting this problem too. Everything works fine for a bit after launching Photoshop CC, however, after a few minutes things start to lag badly - zooming especially.

Windows 7 64-bit

16 GB ram

Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti

256GB Samsung SSD 840 PRO Series

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this may actually be Wacom tablet related. This behaviour only seems to exhibit itself when I am using my Wacom Intuos 3 with Photoshop. Perhaps a driver issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking "Use windows Ink"... did the trick for me...   Control panel - Wacom Tablet properties - Pen - Mapping....  Uncheck the box .

Fixing a drag lag for Wacom tablet in Photoshop under Windows 8.1 - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2013 Sep 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In terms of lag the only tool that acts wonky for me is the Lasso tool. I'll open a new document and want to select something. The marquee tool is no problem, but as soon as I try to lasso something in any of the three modes, nothing happens. It sits on the tool for a very long time. To get out of this I have to hit the escape key - then it's back to normal. This only happens on opening a new document - both when Photoshop CC is running for a while and when it first starts up. (Closing the doc and reopening it also works) but this happens every day, literally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 24, 2013 Oct 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, my lasso has lag too. I do have a Wacom tablet driver installed by am using the keyboard and mouse when I notice this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 12, 2015 Aug 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this problem also. I have reinstalled the drivers etc but to no avail. Feeling very frustrated at the moment.
I notice it is also very laggy in Onone software also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 08, 2013 Sep 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue..Windows 8.1. I've unchecked GPU settings in Photoshop and I'm still experiencing this strange lag. It's very annoying.

I will add that I did not experience this before installing new Wacom drivers (which I installed last night) so there may be a conflict there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 28, 2014 Jun 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Has anoyne found solution for this problem ?

I have 2 GPUs in my machine

1. Gigabyte 660GTX OC 2GB
2. Asus 780 GTX STRIX OC Edition 6GB

Both cards ar earoudn 37-38 degree Celsious when using compute rin windows. As soon as i start Photoshop CC my GTX 780 starts to heat up slowly (like 1 degree every 3-4 seconds) and it goes up to 70-75 celsious even if i just leave machien idle or put Photoshop in background. As soon as i QUIT PhotoShop then teperature slowly goes back to normal. IT happens only at 780GTX (660GTX stays fine aroudn 38C) and i've tried 3 different cards and no difference but problem happens ONLY in Photoshop CC (CS6 works fine no GPU heating up) so it has to be some Adobe Glitch/BUG ?

HELP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or it could be another bug in the video card drivers.

Try updating the drivers from NVidia's website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardly unlikely 'coz like i said it happens ONLY in Photoshop CC, all other programs (3D and 2D) work fine, even photoshop CS6 work fine.

Also i have latest Nvidia drivers "GeForce 337.88 Game Ready WHQL drivers" for windows 8 64bit

There is some BUG in PshopCC for sure and it's serious one 'coz if i go away from machien and leave PShop open it'll heat like crazy

Please FIX it ASAP, Thanks.

P.S. I can save video if you want to see how it's manifesting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bear in mind Photoshop CC certainly uses different features and stresses your GPU differently than any other software.  The realm of graphics software is incredibly complex.

"Game Ready" means very little in the realm of professional tool operation.  In fact the features games need are almost certainly not the same things Photoshop needs.  I develop graphics software myself, so I have some insights into display driver implementation.

Nor does "WHQL" carry much weight.  Ask yourself:  How much in general does Microsoft appear to care about quality?

Display driver development is driven first and foremost by people spending money on toys, and it's a very cutthroat business with major players trying to one-up each other constantly.  We're kind of lucky "gamer" GPUs can be used with Photoshop at all.  There have always been driver releases that are better or worse.

-Noel

P.S., Traditionally I've had about 50% more trouble with nVidia drivers than ATI drivers.  And about 300% more trouble with Intel drivers than nVidia drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reply Noel, I appreaciate your participation. BUT bear in mind that GPU temperature rises when NOTHIG is being done/worked on in Pshop (it just sits in backgorund empty wiht no canvas), it just Idle so it can't use GPU if is nothing been done and also Photoshop CS6 has same performance/GPU settings and yet it has no such problem. Also I'm using very stressfull programs for GPU (Octane GPU rendering) and it's not heating GPU unless i hit render which is normal and expected behaviour. Heating GPU while is idle in PShopCC definitely is not good or proper work so it's surely PhotoshopCC specific issue (I tiread Premiere CC and it behaves same probelmatic whiel AE CC has no such overheating GPU issues so it's easily weird). So what could be it that PhotoshopCC and PremiereCC are sharing/have in common to expose that BUG whiel AE CC is NOT ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something's kicking the GPU into high performance mode.  Perhaps it's a program Adobe has loaded there.

I don't presume to know what Photoshop is doing to maintain its display, but I do know it doesn't kick every GPU up into fast clocks and high heat output just by being running.  So something to look for is:  What's specific to your setup that's not true in the general case?

That brings to mind a possibility...  Photoshop has been known to balk in a setup where multiple different GPUs are present.  In your case the same driver is providing access to both GPUs.  Anticipating what Adobe engineers might find interesting, could you copy the information the GPU sniffer puts in your Help - System Info dialog?  Who knows, it might reveal something.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GPU sniffer ? Is tha tsomethign MAC specific or we hav eit on Windows also ?
Funny thing is that Photoshop Dont' even SEE 780GTX in preferences, it sees only 600GTX which drives displays. 780GTX has no displays connected ('coz i use it specificalyl just for GPU rendering so i need all the RAM free)

check the screengrab of Pshop preferences:
Screenshot 2014-06-29 01.32.08.png

and screengrab of Device manager
Screenshot 2014-06-29 01.36.14.png

plus system screengrab:
Screenshot 2014-06-29 01.36.18.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in Photoshop for both Mac and PC (I'm a PC user like you by the way).

In Photoshop, choose Help - System Info.  There's a bunch of info in there about what Photoshop has detected in your system.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines