• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't add synonym that contains a hyphen

Explorer ,
Jun 24, 2013 Jun 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The software I'm documenting refers to both email and e-mail. I was searching for something using the Search tab (in the compiled help) the other day and couldn't find it. To my surprise, searching for email versus e-mail produces different results.

I figured I would work around it by mapping a synonym. (File > Project Settings, then click Advanced, and then click the Synonym tab.)

I entered email, and then tried to add the synonym e-mail.  I got this error message:

"Synonym editor cannot map phrases. Please provide single word."

Is there any way around this? The only thing I can think of is to do a global search, find all the topics with either, and enter index entries for both email and e-mail.

I am using RH 9.

added RH9 to the tag list.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The RH synonym list does not accept hyphens so things like "e-mail" and "sign-off" are unacceptable. You may want to add your voice to the many who cry out for this to be added as an enhancement. You can do so at the link below:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform&product=38

If the application is inconsistent, maybe it is best to suggest to the developers / Product Manager that this is changed. I know this can go down like a lead balloon, but if they are serious about usability and user assistance they should at least listen to your argument.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And on the other hand...

You have four fingers and a thumb!

But on  more serious note, I'm able to gleefully enter any word (or string of words) I like to my index.

Just sayin... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

Quite true, but I was trying to find a way to avoid having to put in all those index entries. Oh, well. I'll add it to my task list

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Aaahhh yes. The pains of creating a helpful help system! Well, I know them!

Have fun... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Column,

I submitted a request. Regarding a suggestion to the developers, this is not software that my company creates; I am writing help that describes the company's internal processes around using the software. Therefore, I can't ask the developers to make the spelling consistent.

(It's Microsoft Dynamics GP, so the developers are Microsoft developers. The problem is that not only do you have the base product, but many smaller companies develop add-ins that may or may not use the same style guide as Microsoft.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp