Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Coldfusion : Developer Version

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can we use a developer version purely for development purpose? The code set developed using the developer version will be then moved to the live environment where the Standard edition is installed. Mu question is whether we can use the developer version for coding and for which the code will be deployed in a production server which is having Standard edition COldfusion.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, you can use the developer version of coding to production.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am confused about the bolded point which is taken from the Adobe license agreement.

(h) You shall not (A) use the Developer Version for any application deployment in a live or stand-by production environment or staging environment, in each case, including, without limitation, in any environment accessed by application end-users including but not limited to servers, workstations, kiosks, and mobile computers , (B) use or deploy the Developer Version other than internally for the sole purpose of designing, developing, and evaluating applications pursuant to the terms and conditions set forth in this EULA, (C) access the Developer Version from more than a single IP address at any given time, or, only if you are using the Developer Version of Macromedia Flex, from more than five IP addresses at any given time, (D) use the Developer Version to deploy applications that are accessed by end users, or (E) use the Developer Version of Macromedia Flex to compile .swf files for deployment outside of a validly licensed copy of the Macromedia Flex presentation server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the usage of the word "deploy" in the EULA is incorrect. The CF server doesn't deploy code, it serves it. Well certainly int he context they are using the term here.

To be very clear: the licence only applies to how the application server is used, it has no bearing whatsoever on how the source code (which is, after all, yours, not Adobe's) is created.

General practice is to develop & test code using a developer licence, then deploy it to a server with a full licence (be it standard or enterprise).

Make sense?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah Adam. I am also in the same impression that you have explained. Is there any way that I could get an authenticated response from Adobe regarding this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note that I work for Adobe, but this is my non-Adobe forum account. Adam is right.

There, you can feel safe now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get in touch with them, I guess.

This is not an official support forum, so not an avenue for reaching out to them. Sometimes they reply here, but it's very patchy, and the official line is that this is a community-driven effort.

That said, there is not a jot of doubt in my mind that what I said is correct.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ray,Adam,

Thanks for the info. Feel a little bit safer now . But is there any way that I could get an official reply from Adobe regarding this? Any email address that I could send mail to? So that I could say I am very much Safe..

Thanks..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go tot he ColdFusion page on the Adobe site and there's support contact details.

However given Ray does actually work for Adobe, I think it's ebing a bit pedantic and not a good use of your time to faff around chasing this up further. What - in a real world sense - are you going to gain from doing so?

--
Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 26, 2013 Jun 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello balumohan,

Thank you for your post.

Yes, you can use a developer version for development purpose and then move the code to Production/live environment irrespective of ColdFusion edition (Standard/Enterprise)

Thank you Adam and Ray for your inputs.

Regards,

Anit Kumar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2013 Jun 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Ray, Adam and Anit. Very very happy to know that we can use the development version. Was having a big argument regarding its usage for development. All because of this line in the Adobe license agreement.

You shall not use the Developer Version to deploy applications that are accessed by end users

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation