• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I downgrade a project file from CC to CS6 and get back to editing.

Engaged ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started a project in Premiere Pro CC, in hopes that the program would do what I needed and that bugs would be at a minimum.  Perhaps I could even participate in these forums to help make Premiere better by offering up my beta testing insights to the community.  Now, after having paid my tithe in time to Adobe and having experienced several issues, a few crashes and a show-stopping issue (either a Multi-cam issue or an AVCHD spanning issue; I'm not sure), I'm ready to humble my appetite for the bleeding-edge technology and go back to CS6 so I can simply finish my project and pay the bills. 

The new CC features are and/or will be AWESOME when the kinks are all worked out.  In the mean time, how can I revert my CC project file back to a CS6 project file?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Nope CC is not backwards compatible.

Export as XML and import that into CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tested loading a CC-created PPro project into PPro CS6, it did not work (error reads, "The project appears to be damaged, it cannot be opened").  If you pull both a CS6 project and a CC project into TextEdit, you'll see that they are radically different.  I don't think what you need is possible.  I'd love to be wrong, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope CC is not backwards compatible.

Export as XML and import that into CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm guessing that CC would not be backwards compatible with CS 5.5? Is that true?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since so as to fulfill customers' needs and wants much better and deliver even more value Adobe stopped storing .prproj files as plain XML documents, good old tricks no longer work in CC. Hence, you're stuck monkeying with exporting to FCP XML, AAF or EDL, losing Dynamic Links, 3-rd party effects and even some built-in PrPro effects and transitions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are the hand-cuffs you willingly put on when going to CC. You can never go back. You have to keep on paying rent to access your own material, even 50 years from now, if you live that long.

So much for fulfilling customers' needs and wants.

Luck never lasts a lifetime, unless you die young.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cc_merchant wrote:

Those are the hand-cuffs you....

cc-merchant,

Remember to be constructive and helpful in your comments as stated in our community guidelines. If you want to vent, please take it to the Video Lounge.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not much is lost if you go back now. At most one weeks work is lost, but the longer you wait the harder it gets.

So, the only constructive and helpful solution is to cut your losses and continue with CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 28, 2013 Jun 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fuzzy Barsik wrote:

Since so as to fulfill customers' needs and wants much better and deliver even more value Adobe stopped storing .prproj files as plain XML documents

The files are still XML, it's just that the structure has changed slightly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe stopped storing .prproj files as plain XML documents

The project files are just zipped now.

Rename any .prproj created in CC to .prproj.zip and double-click to unzip. You'll get an XML file.

I tried this on a hunch, 'cause it's exactly what Microsoft did with .docx, .xlsx, .pptx to get the file sizes down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing that. My project files are pure XML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename any .prproj created in CC to .prproj.zip and double-click to unzip. You'll get an XML file.

Thanks for the tip.

I haven't tested CC by myself yet and judged by this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cscooper - How are you planning to downgrade your install to CS6?

Can you do it through the Cloud App manager? Or do you have original disks or something?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All good - I found this:

http://blogs.adobe.com/davtechtable/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines