• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 and PDF Opening

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2013 Jun 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to open a PDF in InDesign CS6, I get a warning that the PDF can't be opened because a) a necessary  plug-in may be missing, or b) the document is already open. The document isn't open, so what's happening?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign cannot open PDF without a special plugin. The normal workflow is to place PDF the same way you would place a graphic so that it is just another picture.

With one of the commercial plugins you can open the PDF file and edit the content in ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter

I was rapidly coming to that conclusion when I saw a number of them in a

Google search. Is there one you would recommend?

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, there are only two, and I've never used either one. You should see if you can find some reviews -- I take the vendor claims for retaining styles information, if any, with healthy dose of skepticism, for example, but I've got nothing to back that up.

My impression is that they work quite well if you have no other options beyond starting from scratch, but that you need to expect to do a fair amount of work rebuilding a real structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I've been doing is converting some pdf books into pubs to read on my

Kobo (like a Kindle). There's a great online Free tool for doing this, but

it's limited to 25 Mbytes. That gets most of my books converted, but I have

a couple that are over that limit.

See: http://www.2epub.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is Recosoft and Markzware who have professional PDF to InDesign conversion tools. Markzware, whom I represent, offer PDF2DTP, which has the years of desktop publishing conversion, preflight and packaging technolgy behind it and will even also import native .AI files, in addition to PDF to InDesign CS6 or soon also InDesign CC.

Here is a video demonstration of PDF2DTP PDF to InDeisgn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've used Recosoft's PDF2ID many times. Works well on some PDFs including a 120pp catalogue that I converted, other times not so good, and a waste of time on some, you'd be quicker starting from scratch on those.

I've not used Marzware's offering though their Q2ID plug-in is excellent and means I'll never have to touch Quark Xpress again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines