Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Parameter is Incorrect - error

Community Beginner ,
Feb 22, 2007 Feb 22, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

When I try to delete a file in RH 6.0, I get the message "The Parameter is Incorrect." The window name that has the message is "RoboHelp HTML." From the Project tab I right-click the topic to be deleted and select Delete and the message appears.

This is pretty annoying considering I'm sending these projects off to translation and these files I want to get rid of are still in the project.

Anyone have the same problem or a solution??

Signed,
Annoyed and desperate :-)

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the forum.

Not a common message but I have a feeling I saw it once soon after installing RH6. Didn't do anything other than close the project (maybe a reboot) and haven't seen it since.

The other way, having taken a copy of the project, is to delete the file in Windows. RH will whinge on re-opening and you might need to tidy some broken links.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried rebooting and same problem when I tried to delete the file.
Copied the project and deleted the file in Windows Explorer. Opened RH and got a red x beside the filename in the HTML Files (Topics) list. Tried to delete the file - same error "The Parameter is Incorrect."

Sigh!
Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, leaving your original untouched and with RH closed, go the copy project and delete the CPD file and then double click the XPJ file. That rebuilds the database and may fix it. Your project is on your hard disk I hope?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, project on the hard drive.

OK - on the copy of the project I deleted the CPD file (help.cpd) and double-clicked the XPJ file (help.xpj) to open the copied project.

Went to delete a file (any file actually) and still get "The Parameter is Incorrect"

Interestingly enough, if I right click on a file and selet Properties I get the message immediately and when I click OK to close the message box, it shows the Properties for that file. I just can't delete the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, project on the hard drive.

OK - on the copy of the project I deleted the CPD file (help.cpd) and double-clicked the XPJ file (help.xpj) to open the copied project.

Went to delete a file (any file actually) and still get "The Parameter is Incorrect"

Interestingly enough, if I right click on a file and selet Properties I get the message immediately and when I click OK to close the message box, it shows the Properties for that file. I just can't delete the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have to be a bit patient when posting!

Was RH installed with your logon?

How big is the project zipped up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL - yes, I'll keep my fingers off the Reply button! ;-)

Yes, it was installed with my login - actually it was installed for anyone who uses the machine.

It's under 500K zipped but I'm afraid my company won't let me send out "outside" to be looked at.

Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can anyone access it with your logon. RH will not work properly unless it is installed and used with the same logon.

If that's not it and I can't look at how to get into Fort Knox, it's a bit difficult to help. What am I going to do with the help? Limited market even on eBay! :-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duh on my part - I meant I installed it so anyone who used the machine could access it. You know, when you are installing and it asks if it's just for you or anyone on this machine.

Well, if you're out of ideas, maybe I should just send you the project to take a quick look. Where to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt it will make a difference but first uninstall and reinstall with the option limited to just you.

If it still fails, email me via my site and don't forget to tell me which topic(s) need deleting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2007 Feb 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter!

Problem solved!!

I ended up using your information on "Reverse Engineering" to recreate the project.

From the problem project I was able to create a clean CHM and use "Method 2" which was to use Keytools to reverse engineer the CHM to get a clean RoboHelp project. Other than having to add a custom skin to the project and redo the About box, it worked perfectly.

As a side, the files I needed to delete were already gone since they didn't exist in the CHM but I CAN delete in the regenerated project.

Thanks for all your help and your authoring pages.

Cheers,
Brian

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2007 Feb 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I was going to mail you later (didn't have your email address with me). I opened your project and had no trouble in deleting those two topics!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp