• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere CC extremely slow on export

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just started testing the new premiere CC as a replacement for the Pro5.5.

Most of my clips are AVCHD from the dreadful Panasonic 130 / 160 cams.

Although the new premiere works well as far as handling these clips (surely better then CS6 with the BUG) , when I try to export to mpg2 DVD … well …. Trees grow faster.

For some reason the premiere cs5.5 does it faster, way faster than the CC.

The CUDA engine is active in both cases, but has no visible effect on speed.

The computer I am using has the I7 6 cores dual threads, 32 GB memory, SSD for system disk and GTX570 for GPU…  SO WHY?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Preview files when exporting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try a Direct Export, instead of going through AME.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I am also experiencing this problem. I tried changing the Render engine between GPU acceleration and software rendering.

Very strange bug.

Everything else works great in Premiere CC versus CS 6. However, when it comes time to Render or Export, it is noticeably taking much longer. I am guessing it must be a bug, considering how much faster playback and operation seems.

I have a 1 GB ATI Radeon Card, with 17 GB of RAM, on an 8 core Mac Pro, so I really shouldn't be seeing such a slow down here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or use my method here which has helped many avoid the the slow export bug:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1039888

I 've had recent issues with Premiere not finding specific preview files and have explained, in that link, what to do to get around it quicker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thing is... I was not getting as slow of an export in CS6. It was quite normal, at the very least a bit faster than FCP 7. Would usually take about 15 minutes per video. Our videos average 5 minutes in length, 1080p.

FYI... I am exporting to 1080p H.264, using the YouTube preset.

The slow-down is a new issue to my workflow, specifically in CC.

Re-importing the preview files, seems to me, like it will take a bit of a drop in quality, no? I would like to preserve the highest quality from the source footage, as we tend to archive our exports and sometimes delete the footage after the newsworthiness has dissipated.

I am going to try reset to default settings, as my adjustments to enable GPU processing actually did not fix anything. It improved render times, but was still slow on exports, if not slower. Enabling GPU processing also literally brought my system to halt during the export stage. Any background task, like browsing the web, etc. would be seriously lagging.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any background task, like browsing the web, etc. would be seriously laggging.

That's normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

Any background task, like browsing the web, etc. would be seriously laggging.

That's normal.

Understandably so.

However, this wasn't necessarily the case with when I used CS 6. I was able to let exporting happen in the background, do some web tasks, and wouldn't really get such a slow down. Furthermore, the exports would still take a bit less time. So, I'm wondering what Adobe adjusted in terms of the export stage in CS 6 vs. CC, so I can pinpoint what change is perhaps causing such slow exports.

When I reset to default settings, which resets GPU acceleration to Software rendering, the exports do not cause major lag in my background processes, like browsing, but the exports still take longer than CS6 did. So, what gives? What did Adobe change?

I'm guessing it is a just a bug that needs to be patched. As mentioned, everything else is a major improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is currently a bug in AME, when using 2-pass VBR encoding in H.264.  The YouTube presets default to 2-pass VBR.

In that forum post, 2-pass resulted in video quality problems.  Perhaps it also results in the slow exporting you've described.

I would re-enable GPU acceleration and try outputting again.  Choose whichever YouTube preset applies, but change "2-pass VBR" to "1-pass VBR".  Does this affect render time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joshweiland wrote:

There is currently a bug in AME, when using 2-pass VBR encoding in H.264.  The YouTube presets default to 2-pass VBR.

In that forum post, 2-pass resulted in video quality problems.  Perhaps it also results in the slow exporting you've described.

I would re-enable GPU acceleration and try outputting again.  Choose whichever YouTube preset applies, but change "2-pass VBR" to "1-pass VBR".  Does this affect render time?

Ah. Thanks Josh. Now we are talking...

Just gave this a shot and I think this was the culprit. First off, it isn't putting my system to a halt, even with GPU acceleration enabled, and the export time was cut in half, back to the exporting time of CS 6.

I wasn't having a drop in quality like some of the other users were having, when using 2-pass VBR, in fact the videos maybe looked a little better. However, switching back to 1-pass made a huge difference in the time of the export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

switching back to 1-pass made a huge difference in the time of the export.

That's normal, though.  Doing something once should take less time than doing it twice, so 2 pass taking longer isn't an 'issue', it's just the way it is - for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True.

So I suppose the real question is: in CS6, were you using 2-pass or 1-pass rendering?

If a 1-pass render in CC takes as long as a 2-pass in CS6, there is still a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joshweiland wrote:

True.

So I suppose the real question is: in CS6, were you using 2-pass or 1-pass rendering?

If a 1-pass render in CC takes as long as a 2-pass in CS6, there is still a problem.

Sorry, to reawaken this thread, but I got a bit slammed with work last week to provide any follow-up.

Yes, Josh, that is indeed the question! I checked my co-worker's computer to see what CS 6 was defaulting to, as he hadn't switched to CC yet and to my surprise "2 pass" was the default setting in the YouTube preset. So, while switching to 1 pass obviously cut down my time in half, that would have been normal and a shared trait in CS6.

However, I think Jim Simon has pointed out the problem I may be experiencing. Hardware acceleration was tweaked in CC. There seems to be some major changes in GPU / software between CS 6 and CC, which is probably the cause for my increase in encoding time.

Anyways, exporting is still somewhat tolerable for me at this point, even if slower. I just have to keep my final cuts "final" for now, so I won't have to export again to fix minor changes.... ha.

I'll keep an eye on what heppens during an export of my next HD video to see if there are any major anomalies. I just need to keep testing, I suppose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback.

Why has Adobe made this so confusing?!?  If GPU/hardware acceleration is available in a system, why isn't it used everywhere?  And has any of this been changed with yesterday's update?

I've always used AME.  I suppose I will continue to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well - as for my original problem -

I’ve made some testing and for now had no real progress as far as normal exporting.

1 .The mercury GPU is working on all testing

1. 2. For a 75 minutes of Panasonic MTS with very basic transitions - exporting to AVI DV PAL wide and to MPEG2-DVD Pal - more the 3 hours

1. 3. Tried same footage with maximum render quality - same results.

1. 4. Tried with use previews - same results.  (The project has the yellow line; I did not try to render into green)

1. 5. In some cases, when trying to export to other formats, I received “error compiling movie” this seems to be related to the maximum render quality switch - I have a feeling that this has something to do with the GPU acceleration.

Now as I write this message – I am trying something new:

I marked the “match sequence settings” on the top of the export windows” this yielded a “new” exporting format name “mpeg preview” that has same frame size ,frame rate and field order as the original footage”

It worked fast and was ready in about 20 minutes or so.

Using the AME to convert this to mpeg2 DVD also was fast.

The only question – what will be the final quality when burning DVD?!

I can’t answer that now since I have a burner problem and only tomorrow I will be able to replace it and gaze on the results of this experiment.

I will, of course, update as soon as I can.

I do hope someone (adobe guys?!) will do something about solving these frustrating issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For starters, CC7 no longer uses hardware acceleration when you export through AME.  For another, Adobe has added a new MPEG encoder, or revamped it somehow, and going Direct is now significantly faster than going through AME, even without accelerated effects.  It'll be even faster still with them as Direct will use GPU acceleration.

So again I say, try a direct Export, instead of hitting Queue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2013 Jul 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tried both ways - direct export and AME export - both the same.

BUT - I HAVE SOME NEWS!!!!

I just find out that when I shut down the GPU acceleration (software mode) - exports become fast - and I mean really fast (at least on my computer with its I7 - 6 cores dual threads and 32GB memory) - now it is faster than ever before.

Can someone do the same test and see if it is only me or it’s a premiere bug?!

BTW my GPU is GTX570 so it should have done the job well…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a link to the "software mode" export solution back in post #4 of this thread, guess you missed it. Now is your timeline rendered and do you have "Use Preview Files" on when exporting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2014 Jan 10, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Cavemandude and everyone else,
I've been following all your posts and came across with all the issues u had since cs6, i did everything u tried, first keeping the preview files on one project then dupicated that project and erasing the previews, used the GPU on a 1:31 minute video, H.264 1080p, 24fps with multiple photoshop layers and blending modes (instagramish style) video. That was taking over 1 hour to render, the fans started to run very heavily. So I stopped it. Changed the settings to software only, erased the previews and rendered again, took 3 mins 35 secs. And the fans didnt run that fast.

The thing that dragged me here to this thread was basically why does the computer start to fart and not letting me do anything else, like browsing on the web or even jumping from app to app. Actually writing you here is taking forever. Did you have issues like that too??
I know u r on PC, I have CC 7.2.1 on a MacBookPro Quadcore i7, 16GbRAM and my videos are on a 7200rpm external HDD thru firewire 800.

Thanks for any suggestions, used to edit on fcp7 and never had an issue like that before even with my older macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2014 Jan 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Had the same issues you did, It made my mac unusable during exporting.  But changing it to "software only" fixed the probulm. Now the same projects take mins to export instead of years to finish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when I shut down the GPU acceleration (software mode) - exports become fast

I did see a very slight increase in export times when turning GPU acceleration on, both in Direct and Queued exports, even without any effects.  It was only a second or two, though, which I considered within an acceptable margin or variability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 02, 2013 Aug 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have titles in your sequence?  I noticed when I create a new sequence, drop a video file in and DON'T add any titles, it encodes fast.  When I add titles, it takes about 2 times the actual length of the clip to render.  CS6 did not have this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 02, 2013 Aug 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're seeing is probably the results of this:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5562273#5562273

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2013 Oct 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to revive this, but i've read this and pretty much every other linked article and haven't found anything that helps.

My gear:
Blackmagic cinema cameras with Hyperdeck and Atem Switcher shooting ProRes at 29.97fps
Mac Mini, 4GB ram, 2.6gHz quad core i7 running Adobe premiere CC

My Project (church service):

Two clips, one ~6:00 (intro video), one ~45:00 (main sermon), audio imported seprately.

What I've been trying:

1: Format: H.264

Preset: Vimeo HD 1080p 29.97fps

Not using max render quality, not using previews, not using frame blending, not importing into project.

Directly exporting from Premiere.
No presets changed, no filters added.

Export time: 1:05:45

2: Format: Quicktime

Preset: HD 1080i 29.97 H.264

Not using max render quality, not using previews, not using frame blending, not importing into project.

Directly exporting from Premiere.
No presets changed, no filters added.

Export time: 1:30:10

Maybe my machine is just not enough, but it indicates the main stress is on the cpu as only about 25% of RAM is being used by any Premiere related processes during export, while 500-700% of cpu is being juiced.

Bottom line, we need this to happen faster, and for the simplicity of what we're doing (splicing a still graphic on the front of an intro video, which is spliced onto the front of the sermon) the time its taking seems kinda crazy to me. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

P.S.

Went to disable GPU rendering, but the only option I have is Software rendering so that's not the issue (I assume).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 28, 2013 Oct 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your case, I'm pretty sure your hardware is not up to it.

It looks like the Mac Mini uses integrated Intel HD GPUs.  You won't have GPU acceleration in PPro because of this.

ProRes is a high-bitrate format.  What is your disk setup?  System drive, media drive, and output drive config?

Regarding RAM, 4GB is a possible bottleneck.  PPro realizes that you only have 4GB total, and therefore will limit the amount it uses.  You can change this in Preferences, Memory & Multi-Processing, to use more of your available RAM.  If you're able to add another stick of RAM, it'd likely be beneficial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines