14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2013 11:49 AM by A.T. Romano

Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files

bradhamner Level 1

Equipment-

Sony HVR-V1U recording to HVR-MRC1 (Flash card)

Adobe Premiere Elements

iMac

I can pull the .m2t files straight into Elements with no problems, however because of the file size limit of FAT32 formatting, it splits clips about every 20 minutes.  Sony has made a utility to "stitch" these back together for Windows and even a plugin for FCP.  Premiere is said to be able to pull these in and it seemingly does, but playback always has a skip.

After close investigation I believe it is playing the video back correctly but there is a slight skip in audio where this "stitch" occurs.  Does anyone know the correct settings in Premiere for importing .m2t files or if there is a SOny plugin or utility that I could use.  Please don't tell me to import real time or to convert the files as that defeats the time-saving part of tapeless recording. 

Another option- seemingly the HVR-MRC1 can format the files to .dv but when I import them there is no audio?

Please help, I can provide more info if needed.

• 1. Re: Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You're probably not going to get perfect interfacing with this camcorder, since it shoots in professional HDV/DVCAM and Premiere Elements is a consumer product that edits consumer hi-def tape-based HDV and AVCHD only. So this program really isn't built to handle that kind of video. You'd probably get much better performance with a professional program, like Premiere Pro CS6. I

That said, how are you getting the video from the camcorder to your computer? I ask because this is apparently a hard drive camcorder that can apparently record a DV or HDV compatible video stream -- but are you streaming it into Premiere Elements' capture workspace in real time as if your video was recorded on tape?

And which of its variable formats are you recording to and outputting as?

I'm sorry, but this camcorder is really in a whole other league, and there is just not going to be a smooth interfacing between it and Premiere Elements. Are you taking your video through some sort of intermediate device or software?

• 2. Re: Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files
            bradhamner Level 1

I see.  I'm simply pulling the .m2t file straight into Premiere Elements.  Either by dragging and dropping it onto the timeline or using the media import.  I do this for our church (30 minute message every week) and its simply used for a video podcast (mp4).  I also rip the audio for an audio podcast (.mp3)

Can I change the type of file that the MRC1 saves as?  I wish I didn't have FAT32 file format or could change it (I believe that's why it cuts files to 4GB chunks)  I don't need 1080p quality its just the camera that we have had for a while.  Every now and then I will use it to shoot video to go to DVD or something of higher quality but for the most part its a video podcast week to week.

I'm not taking the video through any sofware b/c I am hoping for the speed of tapeless.  We've had the camera for a long time and I used to just pull the video from tape (but it took at least 30 minutes) into iMovie.  Got the MRC1 HDD a few months back and just got around to playing with it.  Still trying to learn. Thanks!

• 3. Re: Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files
              A.T. Romano Level 7

SG

You wrote to bradhamner

You're probably not going to get perfect interfacing with this camcorder, since it shoots in professional HDV/DVCAM and Premiere Elements is a consumer product that edits consumer hi-def tape-based HDV and AVCHD only

and it was the hi-def tape-based HDV of your response that caught my attention. Could you elaborate on that for bradhamner since he  concludes in post 2 that he "still trying to learn..." The point of clarification that seems to be to point....often, when there are problems with HDV data capture firewire into Premiere Elements Capture Window, the recommendation is to use the HDVSplit for capture firewire to the computer hard drive and from there get the HDV data into Premiere Elements with Get Media or Add Media/Files and Folders. In this approach, the file from computer hard drive to Premiere Elements is the HDV file MPEG2.m2t.

http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

When I look at the video specifications of the Sony HVR-MRC1 (with file to HDD) that I believe bradhamner to be using, I see that it offers capturing the camera's internal hard drive as the HDV file MPEG2.m2t file. What then is the difference between the HDVSplit MPEG2.m2t and the Sony's MPEG2.m2t in this regard, making use of the Sony footage questionable.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/micro/hdv/brochures/HVR-DR60_HVR-MRC1K_Brochure_F inal08.pdf

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

ATR, if you've got a suggestion, please offer it to the client.

• 5. Re: Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

bradhamner

Please refer to my post (numbered 3) to SG regarding your particular situation that I was picking up on in discussion between you and him in the thread.

Part of your initial question was

Does anyone know the correct settings in Premiere for importing .m2t files

From what you wrote and from what I have read of your camera, it sounded like you were putting MPEG2.m2t on the camera's hard drive (or probably a flash card) and from there you were taking the MPEG2.m2t to a save location on your computer hard drive. Did you ever say what version of Premiere Elements you are using and NTSC or PAL setup? I did not see that information. So for now assuming Premiere Elements 11 probably Mac, my suggestion is to set the project preset (new project dialog) yourself to NTSC/HDV/HDV 1080i30 via File Menu/New/Project, making sure to have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on this Project before exiting the new project dialog. Then use Add Media/Files and Folders to get the MPEG2.m2t into Project Assets and from there drag it to the Timeline Expert view.

Now for this "stitching" matter. When you shoot your footage, does each MPEG2.m2t have all scenes complete, that is, does the last  clip in the first MPEG2.m2t end at the beginning of the next MPEG2.m2t that you drag to the Timeline? I am not seeing a reason why you cannot manage the ends of the clips by trimming to create the transitioning that you need to keep the movie flowing.

What caught my attention in all this was the fact that HDVSplit (Windows) is frequently used to obtain split clips for import into Premiere Elements, especially when there are problems with HDV capture firewire into its Capture Window.  In your camera's option to save HDV data as MPEG2.m2t to camera hard drive or flash drive I see in it a HDVSplit of sorts (HDVSplit appearing to be a Windows Only program)

Just some thoughts for now. I come from an Elements Windows perspective, so, if I overlooked any essential difference between Windows and Mac here, please let me know.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files
                    bradhamner Level 1

Thank you for suggestions.  Here is what I can tell you.  I pull video as a raw file into Premiere Elements 11 Mac.  I do not stream it into the workspace as I could do this from tape.  I pull an .m2t file using the Add Media browser.  The 30 minute video is split into 2 or more files because of FAT32 size limits so I pull in all appropriate files.  ATR, I can manage the ends of the clips just fine, the problem is they should be seamless as the clip is usually cut mid-sentence.  (I don't control where it cuts it it is automatic).

The video actually works pretty good if I simply butt the clips together.  However the audio has a very noticeable skip in it.  Obviously depending on the sentence I can hide this or fade it in/out.  I tried ATR's suggestion on forcing the project settings and that didn't change much.  It seems to be something as small as only one frame but its noticeable. 

Does anyone know anything about the Sony MRC1 that maybe I can change the format to allow for bigger files?

• 7. Re: Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

bradhamner

I do not have your camera nor Premiere Elements Mac, but I did find something that might be of interest, not sure how practical for you.

First, from what I have read, the answer remains No when recording presumedly to ONLY card.

Does anyone know anything about the Sony MRC1 that maybe I can change the format to allow for bigger files?

But doesn't your camera have any option to shoot to tape AND card. If I understood what I read on that, then the last post in the following 2011 thread appears to go to your basic issue of those "skips" between files.

http://community.avid.com/forums/t/72364.aspx

But, the suggestion of tape + card seems to be shot down by the following discussion (also around 2011), but take a look at the last post especially where it suggests adding the Clipwrap program to the workflow.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/35/859167

Have you contacted Sony for any very recent updates on this matter?

ATR

• 8. Re: Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files
                        bradhamner Level 1

The only solution this really offers is to use the tape to import the split second that is missing.  That's pretty impractical.  Since I only use these for a video podcast, I'm going to try and bump down the quality to see if I can get it all in one clip.

Again, the problem is that the FAT32 file size limits HD clips to about 20 minutes, which is usually right in the middle of my recording. Premiere Elements seems to do ok and I even tried a trial of Premiere Pro to see if that helped (it doesn't).  They pull the clips in but skip about 1 frame.  It wouldn't be that big of a deal if it wasnt right in the middle of the video.  I'm a little nervous to go out and buy Final Cut Pro if it's gonna do the same thing. 

Can anyone verfiy that Final Cut Pro does pull in clips with the Sony extension (or add-in) and splices them together perfectly?

• 9. Re: Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files
                          bradhamner Level 1

ATR-

I have seen options like clip wrap, etc. but it defeats what I'm trying to do kind of.  To join the files in clip wrap takes additional processing time.  I haven't actually tried ClipWrap so maybe I can get a trial to see how long it takes.  I'm trying to avoid the "import" time from tape and be able to streamline my workflow. 

• 10. Re: Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

bradhamner

As I said, I do not have the camera nor the Mac, but I would be curious to learn if this ClipWrap program will do that job at all and in a timely fashion that would be acceptable to your workflow.

Thanks for the updates.

ATR

• 11. Re: Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files
                              bradhamner Level 1

Ok I still didn't try ClipWrap but I did try this-  I changed record settings from HDV to DV on camera to see if I could lower the file size.  Quality is not much of an issue on a week to week basis so I could use tape when it is important.  This didn't do what I wanted it to a create a small enough file to fit on one clip (< 4GB )  However, it did splice the 2 files together completely seamlessly in Premiere Elements.  I'm not sure if I just got lucky or if the lower quality helps.  I will try again next week and see what happens.

• 12. Re: Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files
                                nealeh Level 5

Have you formatted a memory card to NTFS outside of the camera to see what happens? From the user guide:

Note. The compact flash cards are formatted following the FAT32 specification. This format can be read/written on both Windows and Mac based platforms without the need to install additional software. However, this format has a maximum file size of 4GB, which corresponds to approx. 16 minutes of recording. When the recording time is greater than this, the memory recorder will automatically start a new file when the 4GB size is reached. The files can then be seamlessly merged back together on a computer.

It doesn't explicitly say it can ONLY use FAT32 cards (although I suspect that will be the case).

There is a thread here that sounds similar to yours - the user there suggests that formatting the cards in the camera cured his dropouts - maybe it does something slightly different than formatting on a PC or using as formatted by the card vendor.

Cheers,
                                --
                                Neale
                                Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children.

• 13. Re: Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files
                                  bradhamner Level 1

Thanks but in that thread everyone says formatting outside of the MRC1 kills the card.  The MRC1 will format but only to FAT32.  So no dice.  thanks though

• 14. Re: Sony HVR-MRC1, Premiere Elements, and .m2t files
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

bradhamner

Just got back to your thread and read

I changed record settings from HDV to DV on camera to see if I could lower the file size.  Quality is not much of an issue on a week to week basis so I could use tape when it is important.  This didn't do what I wanted it to a create a small enough file to fit on one clip (< 4GB )  However, it did splice the 2 files together completely seamlessly in Premiere Elements.  I'm not sure if I just got lucky or if the lower quality helps.  I will try again next week and see what happens..

We will be watching for your results to see if that is a consistent finding.

Thanks for the follow up.

ATR