8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 8, 2013 10:04 PM by shooternz

playhead position after ripple edit of head of clip

Dan Wolfe Level 1

does anyone know if I can change the default behavior of the ripple edit tool in PPCC?  I'm used to the ripple edit tool in FCP7.  in FCP7 when you ripple edit the head of a clip, the playhead then jumps to the new head of the edited clip, which is more natural to me.  in PPCS6/CC, the playhead stays at the last place you left you it, which means an extra keyboard stroke, the up arrow key, to jump back to the head of the newly edit clip.  when you're quickly editing many clips on a timeline this extra step gets pretty repetative & annoying.  I've scoured the preferences in PPCC and can't find any options.  I'll file a feature request unless someone knows how to change this behavior?

• 1. Re: playhead position after ripple edit of head of clip
          shooternz Level 6

When I Ripple Delete a space...the playhead jumps from where ever it was to the edit point.

Precisely at the tail of the last clip and the head of the next clip.

• 2. Re: playhead position after ripple edit of head of clip
            Dan Wolfe Level 1

yes, for the tail of a clip.  but say you're watching a sequence, and you pause at the point where you want to ripple edit the head of a clip.  you drag the head of the clip with the ripple trim tool to the playhead line where you originally paused, the edit is created, but then the playhead remains at the time where you paused, it doesn't jump back to the beginning of the newly shortened clip which final cut 7 does.  so now when you hit the spacebar to continue playing you're already ahead of the new edit, which is unnatural I think, and I always have to 'up arrow' to jump back to the new edit to check the flow of things...  make sense?

• 3. Re: playhead position after ripple edit of head of clip
              shooternz Level 6

I understand what you are saying but dont get it.

My preference is to leave the playhead where I made the edit and use any of the other tools to navigate back/forward/wherever. eg "Play around edit, PG Up/Dn, Scroll, JKL etc.

I dont understand the logic of going back to the head of the first clip.  A Ripple edit applies an edit  to to 2 clips. (Head of the second clip and tail of the first one).

Why go back to the head of the first clip (automatically)? 

eg. what if the head of the first clip is 7 minutes back in the timeline and all you want to do is play forward from the edit point?

That would drive me nuts.

• 5. Re: playhead position after ripple edit of head of clip
                Dan Wolfe Level 1

ok, so I didn't explain myself correctly.

- in FCP, clip A is 2 secs, clip B is 3 sec.  as I'm playing back, I realize that I want to cut one sec off the head of clip B.  I move the playhead to 3 secs on the timeline (or simply the frame I know I want to be my new in point on clip B), use the ripple tool to trim one sec off the head of clip B, when I release the mouse button the playhead jumps to the new beginning of clip B and I can just hit the space bar to continue playing right from my newly created edit.  this is how I've always quickly cut down a large amount of footage in FCP.

- PP, same deal, but when I release the mouse, my playhead remains at 3 secs in the timeline (where I initially paused it), and I now have to hit the up arrow to go to the beginning of clip B/my new edit.  I know it's only one keystroke but it slows me down and the FCP way is more intuitive, because I think it's natural to keep playing from exactly the last edit.

make sense?  seems like a simple feature request unless I'm doing something wrong.  additionally, a pref to chose between the types of post playhead placement would be nice...

ripple.gif

• 6. Re: playhead position after ripple edit of head of clip
                  shooternz Level 6

Are you using the actual  'Ripple Edit' Tool from the Tool Menu  (with a mouse drag) in this workflow you described above?  ("b")

If so..wrong tool for the job. IMO.

Try 'Trim to Edit Point'    (ie. Trim to Play Head)   "E"

I use this with all edit Modes and its my go to edit "trick" for 90% of my edits.

EDIT: ask me if you want more explanation of how I set this up or how I use it. 

Basically though...I position the play head at the point of the new edit after selecting an edit Mode (Rolling, Ripple L/R, Trim L/R) at the previous edit point.  (All done on the keyboard using short cuts and a custom toggle shortcut for the  edit Modes).

• 7. Re: playhead position after ripple edit of head of clip
                    Dan Wolfe Level 1

and there you have it...  I knew I was missing something.  the internet is a wonderful thing sometimes...

thanks!

• 8. Re: playhead position after ripple edit of head of clip
                      shooternz Level 6

Cool. Glad you got it.

Little tip...it's worth going thru the Custom  Keyboard Short cut list very thoroughly sometime.

There are a host of things in there that may suit unique work styles and preferences.

I have invested a lot of time developing what suits me. Usually for practical reasons and rarely for speed.  I have no problem crafting an edit (time). I dont edit the news!

Premiere is very flexible and "there are  many ways to skin the cat".  ( Not always obvious)