Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

problem with using RH pop-up in windows 8 IE11

Jul 01, 2013 Jul 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using tech com suite with robohelp 9 under windows 7.

Normally, if i create a pop-up (insert>popup) and specify "display in custom sized popup", the link will open the specified htm file in something that looks like a tool-tip at the cursor location. This is what I want.

Unfortunately, in windows 8.0 IE 11, it opens a new browser window in the top left corner of the display. I don't like this because, instead of easily clicking away to close the pop-up, the user has to close a browser window.

I would appreciate a way to modify the html to continue to get the tool tip style pop-up in windows 8.

here's the html robohelp creates:

===

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
<meta name="generator" content="Adobe RoboHelp 9" />
<title>Home Page 03</title>
<link rel="StyleSheet" href="default.css" type="text/css" />
</head>

<body>
<?rh-script_start ?><script src="ehlpdhtm.js" type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2"></script><?rh-script_end ?>
<h1>Home Page 03</h1>
<p>Type topic text here.</p>
<p><a href="javascript:BSSCPopup('User_Experience.htm');" id="a1">This
is a link</a></p>
<?rh-script_start ?><script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2">//<![CDATA[
if( typeof( FilePopupInit ) != 'function' ) FilePopupInit = new Function();
FilePopupInit('a1');
//]]></script><?rh-script_end ?>
</body>
</html>

===

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 04, 2013 Jul 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are not having a problem with IE10 then maybe this is a bug with IE11 which I believe is still a beta version.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 08, 2013 Jul 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

You are right, I was actually using IE 10 on Windows 8 tablet. I think the issue is that Robohelp pop-ups no longer seem to work on touch devices as a "tool tip" type display. As I noted, now a new browser window opens. I hope team robohelp will take a look at this issue. In the meantime, i would appreciate a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WebHelp is not designed for tablets. Also it is my understanding that the version of Windows on a tablet is not the same as on a PC.

You need the HTML5 output available with Rh10. See The RoboHelp Tour on my site.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

Thank you for your interest in my issue. I'm not publishing to WebHelp. I am publishing to XML and using the generated HTML files. The HTML that is generated has the issue.

Are you saying this particular issue is resolved in RH10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What I was saying that webhelp generated from Rh9 would not work on that OS but that Rh10 has a Multiscreen HTML5 output that will.

I don't know how Rh10 will fare with your workflow.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Popups are not ergonomic on tablets or phones of any kind. Multiscreen HTML5 does have the option to convert popups to hyperlinks for specific devices. So that will solve this problem.

Afaik, the XML output is unchanged in RH10. So upgrading while retaining the workflow will not solve your problem. But you can create HTML5 layouts from scratch and this allows you to create an output that greatly resembles the XML output.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the reason "popups are not ergonomic on tablets or phones" is because they use "hover". It is still valuable to have a container of small text appear at the cursor location using a tap gesture.

William wrote "Multiscreen HTML5 does have the option to convert popups to hyperlinks for specific devices. So that will solve this problem."

If I understand your answer, i don't think is solves this problem because the problem has to do with how the link is being displayed on a touch device. When I tap a link (image) on a tablet, I want it to have pop-up like behavior (a container of text at the cursor that closes when I click away). Instead, it opens a new browser window (this is the problem).

I can do this by creating my own CSS html project, but I prefer using robohelp. It seems to me that any robohelp developer team persons reading this topic should take note because of the suggestion that if robohelp discontinues to serve my touch device requirements, i will have to discontinue its use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, the response I recieved in microsoft forum requests me to post "source script for BSSCPopup, FilePopupInit" How do I locate this file?

Here is an excerpt from the microsoft forum reply:

==

Please provide the source script for BSSCPopup, FilePopupInit

or a public link to a test case.

Probably its academic to be talking about win8/IE10 as 8.1 preview with IE11 is near RTW.

these are the HTML and DOM changes for IE11 - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/Hh700404.aspx

1. window.confirm

Not supported.

1. window.dialogArguments

Not supported.

1. window.dialogHeight

Not supported.

1. window.dialogLeft

Not supported.

1. window.dialogTop

Not supported.

1. window.dialogWidth

Not supported.

1. window.execScript

Behavior change. This method can  be used to execute only JavaScript. It can't be used to execute VBScript.

==

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See Multiscreen on my site. There is a link to demo and you will be able to see popups working in the Equal Opportunities 1 topic.

Download the demo to the setup.

BTW Threats don't help. This is a user to user forum.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will visit your demo.

Hopefully RH product managers keep abreast of these forums. I see it more along the line of unsolicited advice, not threats. One customer's dissatisfaction probably has no impact, but failing to address touch issues could eventuate in product obsolesence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 26, 2013 Jul 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@jeffc2010 - don't hold your breath - the only official way of telling Adobe anything is to use the bug reporting/suggestion link - https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify on the conversion option: It converts popups to regular hyperlinks. So clicking a link that is a popup normally, on a mobile device you open the link in the same browser window as any regular hyperlink.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp