• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Insert | Hyperlink doesn't seem to allow linking to subtopics in RoboHelp 10.

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I updated to RoboHelp 10 yesterday and today when I try to insert a hyperlink it creates it to the top level, despite the fact that I'm using Find to locate the topic and click on a specific bookmark within the topic.  It used to work.  Please tell me I don't have to *gasp* remember my bookmark names.

Thanks!

-m

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand the issue. Can you please post a screenshot of what is going wrong?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. 

I Click Insert | Hyperlink

and then press the find button to select the exact link:

hyperlinkfind.gif

I select the link I want and then OK

and get this:

hyperlinkplain.gif

See how there's no bookmark reference?  It should end with #exclude. 

It certainly did in my previous version.

-m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using the Insert > Hyperlink menu item you should be getting the dialog below:

hyperlink.png

The dialog you display is only availabel from the TOC. Can you confirm exactly where you are trying to add the hyperlink and steps of how you are doing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the image you show (and the second of the two I show), you'll notice the bincoluars icon (aka: find) to the far right of Link to: input field.  If you click that, it will bring up the dialog shown in the first image of post.  I did briefly show my process, but to be clearer and reduce ambiguity, it looks like this:

Open topic.

Select hyperlink text in topic.

Click Find

Type name of topic (or more usually, paste it)

Select bookmark link from the list.

Click OK

Notice the bookmark link doesn't have my direct link.

Curse* and fume.

It should be noted that I can select a bookmark from the topics list in the box below, but I have a good many files and bookmarks and I was trying to cut down on the scrolling required.

Thanks!

-m

*Sometimes I omit the cursing for time considerations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure it used to work? I've just tried that workflow in RH8 and it doesn't. They only way I could make it work was to manually add the bookmark to the end of the URL.

Have you tried highlighting the area you want to hyperlink and clicking and dragging the bookmark from the Project Manager pod. It could be a much easier workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I checked too and, you're right.  It doesn't work.  I guess I got muddled because I did a several week TOC redesign project and it does work there. 

And your workflow suggestion is lovely!  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

The bookmarks are indeed present in the dialog you presented. They are represented as little flags on the left side. Are you not seeing a flag with the word "exclude" beside it?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was hoping to cut down on effort by selecting the bookmark link from the find dialog directly, rather than having to scroll through a GIANT list of files and bookmarks.  I thought I'd mentioned that in my previous. 

It's an unfriendly user interface that lets you select a bookmark from a list in the find menu, but doesn't bring forward the complete information that you select to the next menu.

Alas.

-m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although  guess it does locate me to the desired file in GIANT list, so i only have the list of bookmarks to scroll through, but that's after opening the find dialog...I still maintain that it's unfriendly.

-m

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp