Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 10 Layout Properties does not display, cannot Generate

Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I recently upgraded to TCS 4 from TCS 3. In one of my projects, I am unable to Generate output. In the SSL menu, I double click any of the layout options (I'm primarily interested WebHelp and Printed Documentation). The Properties window never displays and the output is not generated. I tried this several times right-click the layout and click Generate... and also right-click Properties. The properties window simply never displays. Nothing happens. I should note that the application does not lock up, the window simply never dispalys. Generate Layout and right-click Properties seems to work fine with another project.

I tried doing a Batch generate, and selected WebHelp (my primary layout) and Printed Documentation, and the generation did work. However, I need the Properties windows to set or adjust settings.

Creating a new Layout has the same issue -- the Properties windows never displays, so I cannot configure the Layout.

Any suggestions for how I can repair my Layouts Properties so I am able to configure and Generate again?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have RH10, but this may work. It's possible the dialog box has fallen into the gap between screens.

1. Double-click your layout.

2. Press Alt+Spacebar+M

3. Press any arrow key.

4. Waggle the mouse wildly until you see the dialog box snap to the cursor.

5. Click to drop the dialog box where you want it.

HTH,

Amber

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it certainly seems like the dialog box has gone "missing". However, clicking New Layout or Batch Generate from the Single Source Layouts pod, brings up the related dialogs just fine...the Properties dialog simply never displays (I've hunted around for it, it doesn't appear to be hiding behind anything, it seems to never launch).

Since the settings dialog launches fine in a different project when I double-click, click Generate layoug, right-click Generate, right-click Properties, I suspect there's something with this particular project that is causing the Properties/settings dialog to fail to launch, but then I wish I would see some sort of error or warning message, or even the application "thinking"...I get the swirly "working" icon for a fraction of a second (the time it would take for the dialog to display) and it goes away...

Alt +Spacebar+M does nothing (it may be because I'm on Windows 7?)...Alt+Spacebar brings up the option to minimize the entire RH window, but that is no help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Have you tried right-clicking the Single Source Layouts pod and choosing to create a new layout? I know you said you did part of that, but you don't say whether you followed through with it. What I'd like to know is if the properties will display once you have created a new layout and saved it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Same issue, the Properties/Settings dialog never displays:

1. Right-click > New Layout.

2. On New Laout dialog, use the default Name: New WebHelp Layout, Type: Web Help. Click OK.

3. Note the New WebHelp Layout appears in the Single Source Layouts pod list. No settings dialog displays.

4. Note the following methods do not launch the Properties/settings dialog: Double-click New WebHelp Layout, right-click > Properties, right-click > Generate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried deleting the CPD file? I don't think that is it but it needs to be eliminated.

You definitely have not been using two monitors?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't tried deleting the CPD file. I just tested it, though, a couple times and it doesn't make a difference.

I am using two monitors... when I get myself into the place where the dialog might be open (double click the layout) and click Alt+Space, it immediately opens the main RoboHelp Restore/Move/Minimize/Maximize window. Alt+Spacbar+m brings up the four-sided arrow and moves the main RoboHelp window. So if the dialog is open somewhere off-screen(s), I cannot select it...are there any other methods to try to retrieve a missing dialog/window? I also note that moving other dialogs around (New Layout, Batch Layout) between monitors and then closing the dialog, the dialog always re-opens in the middle of the main RoboHelp screen, wherever that screen is located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also...getting myself to the place where the dialog should be open (double-click the layout) and then right-click Cascade windows from the task bar does not bring up the missing dialog. When other RH dialogs are open and "off screen" (e.g. Project Settings), this works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2014 Jan 31, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CFretty.

I have this exact scenario playing out with one of my RH9 projects.  Over the past couple of months I had no problems generating/publishing the project's webhelp output.   Then, without warning, all of a sudden one day I can not access the WebHelp Layout Properties.  As you state, the dialog just does not open.   I don't have multiple monitors.  

Were you able to arrive at a solution?   Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

When the dialog fails to open, does RoboHelp appear to lock up until another action is taken? Or does the dialog simply refuse to show and you are able to do other things in the application such as editing a topic?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick.

RH9 does not lock up, and I am able to perform other actions such as editing a topic.  The SSL's properties dialog just never displays.  This is project related, as other projects do not present this behavior.

Is there a project XML file (or other format) that controls the SSL Layout property?  Wondering if I can rebuild/recover a specific file just for the layout.

Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I'm wondering if the answer is as simple as right-clicking and electing to create a totally new Single Source Layout. Then adjusting the properties as you need.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have tried that.  The New Layout dialog to name the new layout appears, and after OK, no properties dialog is displayed.   The newly named SSL simply displays in the SSL pane.  Double-clicking it or right-click/properties does not present the properties dialog.

Any chance the SSL files in the project folder may be corrupted?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 11, 2014 Feb 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to bring closure on this thread, it appears that Virus protection scan corrupted my project's webhelp.ssl file.  Fortunately I had a backup, copied the new file in, now the project's SSL properties dialog appears.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp