• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to update flash player on Mac OS 10.6.8 with Firefox 22.0

New Here ,
Jul 13, 2013 Jul 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to update, or run the uninstaller as suggested by the FAQ, the follow message pops up.

"Adobe Reader could not open 'uninstall_flash_player_osx.dmg' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded)."

This has acctually happened with several minor and two major versions of Firefox. Once I was able to run the update by downloading it directly without using the autodownloader installation. However, I have not been able to find where I can get the direct download again... every link takes me back to the "http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?promoid=JZEFT" page where the same problem just occurs again.

It would be REALLY nice to solve so the autodownloader worked again.

Any solutions will be gladly appreciated. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The full offline installer can be found here

It sounds like you have an application preference set wrong. DMGs cannot and should not open with Reader. Right click the DMG and choose "Get Info". Under "Open With" it should show Disk Image Mounter.app.

FinderScreenSnapz001.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, I don't know why "reader" is trying to open this DMG... is looks like DiskImageMounter.app is set to open it.

DiskImageMounter.jpg

Things are getting curiouser and curiouser. When I launch install_flash_player_osx7.dmg by double clicking on it from the downloads folder using finder it installs. It only fails with it is launched via firefox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be a Firefox preference gone awry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2013 Jul 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OK, makes sense. Any idea what the DMG preference should be in Firefox?

It was set to "Always Ask"

FFprefDMG1.jpg

... and I changed it to "Use MacOS"

FFprefDMG2.jpg

The funny thing is that all the other updates (these were Add On updates) that I ran downloaded the DMG file and it started right up. It is only the Adobe products (Acroread, Flash, ect) that are having troubles, and they all get the same error.

BTW - Thanks for helping!

NEW UPDATE:

Found /System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app and set the Firefox preferences DMG file to use that now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines