• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

indd file cs7

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2013 Jul 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We received an indd file that we want to open.  We have CS6 Design and Web Premium installed.  However the file will not open because it says we need CS7.  CS7 is not released, any fashion I can see?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be InDesign Creative Cloud.

You would need to purchase this.

And if you can't - the ask the person to firstly make a pdf of the file. And then to use a File>Save as and choose IDML from the options.

You can open the IDML file in older versions of InDesign and the PDF will give you a grasp of the layout should things move.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When CS6 and its patches were develeoped the engineers thought that after CS6 will come CS7. But it was renamed shortly before its announcement to InDesign CC.

Adobe has forgotten to repair this message which is found in CS5.5 and CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Willi – I think the fault lies in the IDML file format of InDesign CC and not in InDesign CS6 or CS5.5 IDML import filter.

CC IDML and CS6 should be harmonized.

At least for CS6 and CC there should be a new bug fix round in the near future…

I'm eagerly awaiting InDesign v8.0.2.
Do you ( or somebody else ) know a date for that?

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you so sure there's going to be one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing, but my confidence in Adobe … keeping their word.

http://www.adobe.com/products/cs6/faq.html

Can I purchase a perpetual license for Creative Suite 6?

Yes. Adobe will continue to make Creative Suite 6 available as a perpetual software license, and will provide bug fixes and security updates as necessary. …"

Ok. Here we have the word "necessary".

Will Creative Suite 6 be supported on the next release of Mac OS X?

Adobe is currently planning to support Creative Suite 6 on the next version of Mac OS X. As Apple releases more specific details about the next version of Mac OS X, we may adjust our plans.

Well. There is "currently" and "we may adjust"…

Allright.

It's not sure at all.

But is it unlikely?

Or very unlikely?

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlike Microsoft which is quite transparent about their OS plans, the interfaces for future OS versions, and careful not to break compatbility with existing application versions, Apple tends to err on the side of neat and cool as opposed to supporting existing applications and not springing surprises on both end users as well as their “valued” application developers.

That having been said, from what we know so far, CS6 applications should require at most relatively minor updates to fully operate on the next flavour of MacOS. However, if we are surprised by some new feature that requires major code rewrite of CS6 applications to work on either existing or more likely newly-announced hardware, yes, we may need to adjust our plans. (Can you say HiDPI screens as was sprung on us by the sudden appearance of Apple's so-called “Retina” displays? And “no,” there will not be a CS6 update to support that surprise MacOS feature.)

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All this is interesting information, but still the question is "How do I open the file" I am on the Cloud and have the most recent Update. I thought the Cloud would always keep me up to date with things. How is it that there's a file I can't open?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have obviously not installed CC you have only updated to the latest CS6.

You need to install InDesign CC. If you are in the cloud it does not mean that you have already downloaded and installed the latest version, it means only that you have paid for it. So go on to the cloud, download the CC applications and use what you have paid for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 27, 2013 Aug 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone resolved this issue yet?

I manage a creative studio with 6 designers. We all adopted CC at the same time, even though we had already purchased 6 complete box sets of Studio Premium. We are all currently running th absolute latest version of CC and perform updates whenever they are available.

We still regularly get messaged upon opening InDesign files created by one of our team telling us that we can't open the file because it was saved with a newer version of Adobe InDesign (CS7.0). Yet we are all running identical, latest versions.

Honestly, this whole Creative Cloud thing has been an expensive nightmare, and even though we were talked into buying a VIP support package -- there is no support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If someone gets THIS message he is not running InDesign CC, he is running InDesign CS6. (Which can be installed from the cloud as well!)

This message appears in that form only in InDesign CS5.5 and CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what confused me. These are brand new computers. They have only ever had the software versions that came from the CC interface.

But your post has given me a lightbulb moment. I presumed all versions of the Creative Suite on Creative Cloud were "creative cloud" versions. But I see now, after clicking a few various app searches, that the interface offers both CS6 and CC. The icons are identical but the text next to them differentiates them. Some of us have installed one and some of us the other.

I wondered why I was never having the buggy issues the others have, and I see I have been using the CS6 versions all along. With trepidation, I am moving us all to the CC versions. At least we should all be able to open each others' files.

Thanks Willi!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2013 Aug 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

vmalucas wrote:

I wondered why I was never having the buggy issues the others have

There was nothing buggy about it. It worked exactly as designed.

FWIW, I would recommend having CS6 and CC installed anyway. It never hurts to have the most recent version available in case you need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines