Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing Excel Files/Tables

New Here ,
Feb 27, 2007 Feb 27, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This is my first posting. I am a nurse clinical consultant on a software project and am trying to put our clinical orientation manual on our softwares help system using RoboHelp HTML. I have no training in Robohelp!

I have been able to import the excel file with a table and can view the table on the page in the TOC. When I generate the primary layout I get athe message "The page cannot be displayed"

Also: My TOC is organized by book and pages. How do I remove/hide the pages below the last book: These are lpages that are linked or actual pages already in the Books above.

Text

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary,

First a question - Is the "The page cannot be displayed" message being displayed for all pages or just the page with the excel table. If so, are you trying to view the .chm over a network? The .chm file format is better viewed locally (e.g. loaded on the users c:\drive).

On the TOC organisation. You can remove the pages or books by pressing the Delete key on your keyboard or right-clicking on the book/page and selecting the delete option.

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your prompt response. For the table how can I have this file visable over the network? And to the second, if I delete the pages will they remain within the books and as links already set?

Again I am a first time user of RoboHelp trying to clean up after a former employee and I don't want to cause more problems, so your help is most appreciated.

Thanks so much
Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary,

What version of RH are you using? How did you import the excel spreadsheet?

Also, if you don't want to cause more problems. First thing to do is take a full back up of the project. As with any software product, it is quite easy to damage the project without redumentary knowledge of the tool you are using. Robohelp is probably the easiest of help authoring tools to get to grips with, but you will need to take some time to get to grips with the user interface. There is loads of information in the online help.

Table Issue: OK, lets forget the network stuff. I'm just trying to establish whether you are having a specific issue with the topic with the table or whether there is an issue with the way that that the whole project is being displayed. So my question is whether you see the error on all pages once the help is compiled, or just the page with the excel spreadsheet imported.

TOC Organisation. From your first message, I thought that you wanted to reorganised the TOC? You can delete items (books and pages) from the TOC folder WITHOUT removing them from the project. If you delete the pages, they will not longer remain in the books as your rightly point out. But in the first message you said that you wanted to delete the books and pages.

I'm a just a little confused with what you are trying to achieve, sorry. My experience on these forums is it is sometimes more helpful to get clarity on the question before dealing with the answers.

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Craig,

RoboHelp HTML X3 Build 228

First, I did make a back-up to both my local and network drives. Second I did delete all the pages that were not part of the books in my TOC and everything is working and looks great! Thanks to your help!

Now for my table problem. This is the only page I cannot see when I compile. Previously only word files have been imported or I have had recreated the tables in RoboHelp itself and I feel ready to learn this new skill for future use but am clueless.

Hope this is clear,

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary,

Glad you are getting on track.

How exactly did you import the excel table?

If you need to include an excel spreadsheet in a help file, one option is to take a screen shot of the table and add that screen shot to the topic via the insert image button. Another option is to provide a link to the xls file using something called shortcut controls. The last option is a little bit more complicated and will involve shipping the source .xls file with the .chm file - so it depends if you want to give the users access othe .xls file and how adventurous you feel today.

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved the excel file as HTML file then went to RH and file import HTML file. Is this correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mary,

The trouble is that RoboHTML may not interpret the html version of the .xls file. It depends how complex the table is. The method you described will work if there is nothing complex in the spreadsheet, but I'd be a bit apprehensive about maintaining the imported excel spreadsheet in RoboHTML. The .html version you create from excel may have tags that RoboHTML does not understand. My guess is that your spreadsheet has external references/links or some unusual calculations marcros that RoboHTML is not picking up.

If you want to keep the excel spreadsheet maintained outside of RoboHTML it may be better to use one of the methods I mentioned rather than importing the .html version each time you update it.

Kind Regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you are so right because the excel file is kind of complex. I will work with it to see if I can simplify it or simply redo it in RoboHelp. Thank you so much for your time and attention.

My regards,

Mary

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome Mary.

And don't forget the screenshot options. If you have access to a graphic tool like paintshop pro or snagit, you may find it easier to take a screen shot of the .xls spreadsheet (you can do this from the excel preview window) and then save the screenshot as a .gif and use it in your topic. Very quick and easy workaround.

kind regards
Craig

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 28, 2007 Feb 28, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Mary,
Following on from Craig's response and your msgs. The best way I found to do it was to re-do the table (yes I know it's a pain) within RoboHelp HTML.
I had to redo our phone list for the company manual project. But what I also included was the Users email address - which I also linked to Outlook - so selecting the addr. opened a blank email already addressed to the appropriate User.
Regards
Al

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2007 Mar 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That is what I finally ended up doing but was disappointed. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp