Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem opening PDF in Windows 8/2012

New Here ,
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

we have a problem with our CHM files in Windows 8 / 2012 environment.
If we try to open a PDF file with a link inside CHM, it don't open nothing, just shows a little black "X" in the CHM window.
The link are made like this: <a href="file://PATH-TO-THE-FILE">Link name</a>

Please note that we install Adobe Reader, and normally the PDF are showed succesfully inside the browser.
In other operating systems the problem doesn't happens.
Have you an idea of the issue's cause?

Thank you very much

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 8 I understand but not sure what you mean by 2012.

Try this thread.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5377293

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

With 2012, I mean "Windows Server 2012", sorry for the inaccuracy.

I think there could be a problem with Adobe Reader XI and my operating systems, I opened another thread for this problem: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1255832

Please let me know if you have something about my problem!

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the end of Item 15 at http://www.grainge.org/pages/snippets/snippets.htm#webhelp

That refers to Windows Server 2008 but maybe it is the same problem.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

what do you mean when you say:"The solution is for the end user to enable the JavaScript by adding the webhelp as a Trusted Location in IE10 settings."? (I'm not sure what exactly is "webhelp")

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry my mistake, I didn't look far enough back to see you are working with CHMs. Does the CHM otherwise work OK on that operating system?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CHMs are working great, on both network or local drives.

The only thing that didn't works is the action of open a PDF file.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Given what you have identified in other threads it could be an Acrobat issue but I'm also wondering if it is as simple as the link format.

Could the PDFs be added as baggage so that they form part of the CHM?

If that would not work, could you enter the path with the server address rather than the file prefix?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I never bagged the PDFs inside the CHM, but I prefer not doing like this, because we often update the PDFs without touch the CHM.

I did another test: I added to the CHM another link, this time a PDF file on the internet (this: http://www.adobe.com/enterprise/accessibility/pdfs/acro6_pg_ue.pdf).

The result is the same, no difference from the local PDF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will see if I can recreate the problem.

What system is Rh running on?

What version of Rh?

Does this occur if you click View after generating the CHM?

Who is accessing the CHM and how?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm running an old version of RoboHelp, we are still evaluating an upgrade to the latest version.
I also think RoboHelp is "innocent".

The problem occur even if I try to open an .HTM page composed like this:

<html><body leftmargin=0 topmargin=0 scroll=no> <embed width=100% height=100% fullscreen=yes src="file:///PATH-TO-THE-PDF"></body></html>

Internet Explorer 10 says a message like this:
"Internet explorer restricted this webpage from running scripts or activex controls"

This happens on every system where I have Internet Explorer 10.

I think the problem is this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CHMs do not open IE. When does that message appear?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

I tried to extrapolate the code from one of our CHMs, and I saw that the result is the same (the same little "X" in the left-high corner, as in CHM).

The only difference is that CHM doesn't say nothing, and Internet Explorer alerts me with that message.

I know that CHM and Internet Explorer are strictly linked, so I imagined that the cause could be the same.

Have you tried my code on an IE 10 equipped PC?

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not until later today and not until you answer the questions I asked.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry

If you mean "When does that message appear?", I answer "Immediatly after the page opening in Internet Explorer".

For other questions regarding RoboHelp, I answer:

1) I have no problem in the machine with RoboHelp, and please note that there is not IE 10 on that PC

2) Our customers access CHMs double-clicking them on local or network drive. The PDFs are located in the same directories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was referring to the questions in Post 9.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp