• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get projects online with Captivate 7?

Jul 15, 2013 Jul 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to be able to upload my project, publish the powerpoint with video that I've created. However, I'm finding it impossible to find ANY thing giving an explanation on how or which to use.  There seems to be multiple ways, but I don't know WHY or when to choose one method over another.  Or whether to zip files, create a folder, when to either or both use swf and html or even executable, and what to do with those files when "published".

It would seem that many of the tutorial videos are about the new features of Captivate 7 and seem to assume that everyone who's bought it has previously used other versions of captivate!

I have not. 

I want to stream some videos that i currently host on Amazon S3 into my project, but it won't let me do that.

If i link videos stored on my computer it all works wonderfully.

I'm using Captivate 7 (32 bit)

I've slides with audio added and video embedded as a video object.

A SIMPLE getting started guide would be great, not just saying - here are all the options - I need to know why one way would be preferable over another. Step by step, 123 - published (ie ONLINE), not just "published and watch on your own pc".

I've watched many videos as well as this:

http://www.adobe.com/support/captivate/beyondbasics/demos/publish_web.htm

i've read this:

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/captivate_reference.pdf

Much of it is very easy and intuitive to create, but the frustration I've felt these past 2 weeks about getting just my first (of many multiple future projects I need to do) is driving me nuts from the waste of time searching forums, youtube and adobe! Its making me regret buying this.  Sorry for the rant.

Maybe I'm completely missing the point and it's really easy, but I'm now so confused I don't know what to do.

HELP!

Thank you 🙂

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 16, 2013 Jul 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello saguthrie,

In CP7, Streaming Videos are not supported as SlideVideos/Event Videos in HTML5Output.

You can use the interactions for the same:

1. WebObject Interaction:

You can use WebObject Interaction shipped with CP7

Provide the streaming link to the address column provided in the Interaction and publish the course to html5

2. Youtube Interaction:

You can upload the video to youtube and can use the Youtube Interaction shipped with CP7

Provide the URL link and publish the course to html5

Please revert back for any clarifications.

-Mayank

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mayank

I tried to use the WebObject before but I may well have been looking at the swf file not the html5.

So therefore it's not possible to have videos at all in a swf file format??

I don't want to use YouTube.

I still don't know how to get it onto my website though.

The resulting zip file is currently huge. Do I ftp it?

Thanks

Siobhan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captivate versions prior to Cp5 had the option to embed videos inside the published SWF.  But all versions of Cp since 5 now externalize video by default.

If by 'website' you actually mean a SCORM compliant LMS, then the zip file would need to be a SCORM package, and in that case you would definitely be uploading a zip file that gets unzipped on the server end.

However, if you want to upload your course, including video files, to a normal website (not an LMS), uploading as a zip file is not usually the way to go.  You would need to transfer the unzipped files via FTP.

Rod Ward

http://www.infosemantics.com.au/troubleshoot-adobe-captivate

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob, And I've no idea what

you mean by a "SCORM compliant LMS".

I am using a regular website with wordpress installed.

If I unzip the files will it know to get the videos from amazon S3?

So do I still "publish" to html5??

And if I ftp them, do they all go in one folder, or separate folders as they are when zipped?

Again apologies if this is extremely basic.

What is a SCORM compliant LMS - maybe that would be better if it's something I can install on my website?

Thanks

Siobhan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An LMS is a Learning Management System.  You can Google for info about SCORM and LMSs.  It's too big a topic to cover here.

Your published project will only know to get your videos from amazon S3 if you've correctly entered links to that content and configured options in the Insert Video dialog in Captivate.

But since you're using HTML5 it may be a bit moot as your Amazon site is a streaming video site and Mayank has already pointed out that streaming video is not supported for HTML5 output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rod,

Thanks, yes I found out it's Moodle etc, which I have experienced on the customer side before.  I wasn't planning on using it, as I'd hoped to password protect the pages with a plugin, but I guess I could have a look at Moodle.

However, Mayank said though that I could use WebObject and I got the impression that I could then use html5.

I don't know/care which format to use. I just want to get the thing up on my website.  I don't know what the difference is between html5 and swf except I got the impression that swf was for ipads etc.  But I'm now just so confused.

1. WebObject Interaction:

You can use WebObject Interaction shipped with CP7

Provide the streaming link to the address column provided in the Interaction and publish the course to html5

HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ipads use HTML5, not SWF. 

You can use the WebObject interaction with HTML5, but only if you are accessing normal web pages.  It won't work for you in HTML5 if you are trying to use it to access streaming video, not because there's anything wrong with the web object interaction itself, but because HTML5 does not support streaming video.

That's what Mayank is trying to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok.

So perhaps you can advise the best course of action.

I have powerpoint presentations with audio over them created in a Captivate project.

I'm using a theme provided by Captivate.

I then want to have a video that my customers can watch related to the content in the slide.

Is that possible?

And if so, how do I do that?

Thank you for your help in this.

Siobhan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add your video as an Event Video or as a Multi-Slide Synchronized Video where the video resides in the same folder as the other published files.  (Details about how to do this are in the Captivate help files.)

As long as you publish to HTML5 and not SWF, and your video is not being streamed, then it should still work on an iPad.

Whether the time it takes for the video to start playing will make your end users unhappy is another thing.  That depends on how big your video is and how good their bandwidth is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does that mean if I want the videos to work on a regular website, then I have to have the videos uploaded onto the same website (as opposed to being hosted elsewhere - like YouTube/Viddler/Vimeo/AmazonS3).  I have several gb of videos I want to use on this "course".

And not to use swf at all?

Thanks Rod

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we've actually answered all these questions already and may be going round in circles.

You can insert links to video streamed into a Captivate SWF at runtime and these videos can be located on a different server, but you can also have the videos on the same server as the Captivate SWF.  (Look up the help files I pointed you to.)

SWF is MORE likely to work with streaming video than HTML5, but from your posts so far my understanding is that you've indicated your intended output is HTML5 and we've already explained that HTML5 output from Captivate does not allow for streaming video.  If you want your content to work on iPads and (most) Androids then you cannot use SWF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going round in circles - quite possibly. I've been totally confused for the past 2-3 weeks and I'm only now getting just a little clearer.

I have no idea what the difference is between swf and html5. I didn't have any specific requirements whether to use one over the other, or both.

I just want to put videos into a captivate project on my website.

That is why I bought Captivate 7.  I'd seen someone use a very simple powerpoint with audio and video on a website and thought - fab, that's what I want to do. 

I'm exhausted trying to work it out.  I've a HUGE project to do, and time is now backing up.

Thank you Rod for your patience and explanations and I'm still struggling with what to do.

At this stage I'm wondering if someone out there can take my project on.

I've lost so much time and not getting anywhere.

Maybe Captivate isn't the software I need afterall.

Maybe I should just go with Moodle and upload the videos to there, and the students can work off a workbook instead.

Thank you and warm regards

Siobhan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2014 Mar 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

We just created a new plugin for Wordpress that makes it easy to upload Captivate content into Wordpress.  For more information, see the link below:

http://www.elearningplugins.com/products/insert-embed-adobe-captivate-content-wordpress-plugin/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources