Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using Adobe Reader on 2 computers

Jul 17, 2013 Jul 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a new laptop, downloadedd the reader and realized when I had problems reading the research book that I didn't finish the authorization. Doing that it says that I can't use the same email address and password I used on my other laptop. My identity hasn't changed.

How will I be able to read this book on both laptops as I'm not getting rid of th e other laptop. I also have a number of e-books on that one - how will I be able to transfer and read it on the new laptop?

Regards,

Karen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What software are you talking about?

There's no "activation" for Adobe Reader and no requirement to log in.

There is for Adobe Digital Editions and Adobe Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry I wasn't clear - I'm talking about the Digital Reader to use with E-books. It requires one to authorize the program by entering your email address and a code.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions/faq.html

You can authorize up to six (6) devices on one account.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe screenshot.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm searching through those files - this is my 2nd device only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You really better ask in the Adobe Digital Editions forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[ moved to the ADE section ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says digital editions - discussions at the top of this page - I can't find the ADE section?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question:
Are you using a router, or a hub to connect both computers?

If it's a hub, they BOTH have the same IP address.
That will cause the server to identify it as the same computer as the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - I haven't connected them on a hub or so. I'm not that computer-literate. On occasion I have just used a network cable and an intranet(?) type of connection to read files on the old one.

Perhaps I should have copied the software from one to the other rather than re-downloading it from the web. OR I'm misunderstanding the use of 6 divices on one email-adress / ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes ADE gets its registration/activation confused and in a semi-authorized state.

Unfortunately, it often then gives misleading error messages about what is wrong.

One of the common erroneous messages is the one shown in your earlier post.

Try completely removing any authorization using ctrl-shift-D to ADE (cmd-shift-D if on Mac).

Restart ADE, and then reauthorize with your Adobe ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot. It worked:). Now I'm just waiting for the supplier of my book to reset my activation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My supplier (Kalahari.com) refuses to help with the - "contact the e-book provider to have the activation reset for the e-book" after explaining it all to them. I guess I wasted the money on that purchase. Amazing how a few glitches can cost one. I'll never buy from Kalahari again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jul 20, 2013 Jul 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I have misinterpreted something in the thread above, but ...

What ID were you using when you first bought those Kalahari  books (presumably on the old laptop)?

If it was an anonymous 'not registered with Adobe' ID then you may be stuck (see below).

Otherwise, you should still be able to read them on the new laptop as long as you use the same ID used when you bought them on the old laptop.

~~~

This is a vicious trap that Adobe lays for unsuspecting customers.

When you register 'without ID', ADE creates an anonymous/implicit ID with limited powers (eg can't be used to share with other devices).

Whenever you first load a DRM book, that copy of the book is associated with whatever ID the computer is registered to at the time.

Any book you load while this anonymous ID is active gets associated with that ID, and can't be read on any other device.

When you properly register your computer with a real ID, that old anonymous ID is lost.

Now you don't have any devices that can read the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 20, 2013 Jul 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yip - this is exactly what happened to me - I downloaded on the new laptop. And I didn't intentionally not authorize / register it before downloading the book - I was in a hurry and thought I did.

It's very expensive and vicious - research books are very expensive and I defnitely can't buy a 2nd copy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well - I can't find a help-document relating to my problem after more than 2 hours. The live chat doesn't have Adobe DIgital as an option so I fail to see how buying a support licence for "adobe reader" will guarantee success.

If anyone else reads this and have some solutions - Please help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines