• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't download via the direct link for IE (HTTP 403 Forbidden)

New Here ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Win7 Pro SP1 32-bit
IE 10.0.9200.16635

When I try to download/install from  http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ I get the "cannot contact reliable source", so I then tried the Direct link for ActiveX/IE:

and I get a HTTP 403 Forbidden. I have also tried that link in Firefox and Opera, but all I get is an empty page. I've also tried with antivirus off, firewall off etc... no luck.

BUT... If I try the second direct link(Plug-in/All other browsers)

Then I started up an old XP PC just to compare, and the download ActiveX version were succesful.
Why doesn't the direct link for ActiveX work on my Win7 PC, regardless what browser I use?

(I have never had any problems with updating/installing Flash Player before, on any computer including my Win7)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I was unclear: The "Direct Links" I referred to, ARE the offline installer links.

The link Flash Player for ActiveX (Internet Explorer) doesn't work(forbidden access),

but the link Flash Player Plug-in (All other browsers) works.

BTW, is there perhaps any other URL to a offline installer, besides the one that doesn't work on my PC?

(http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/support/install_flash_player_ax.exe)

flash.png

Added screenshot of trying to download offline installer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a problem with YOUR IE on YOUR machine.
To support that claim, I have XP (SP3 - IE8), Vista Ultimate (SP2 - IE9), Windows 7 (SP1 - IE10), WIndows 8 (IE10), and Mac OS X (10.8.4) and I can access the link in ALL of them.

BTW since it's a .exe link (the actual downloader), have you tried right clicking and saving it? My browsers ALL save it directly by clicking it but I can also do it by right click.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right click and save doesn't work, since I can't access the URL at all, so I get an almost empty file if I try that.

It can't be my IE since I've tried Firefox and Opera too without luck.

But the strangest of all is: if I remove "_ax" from the URL, too instead download the offline installer for plug-ins, then it works!

(URL with install_flash_player.exe instead of install_flash_player_ax.exe)

If one of the 2 offline installer links works on my pc, why is there a problem with the other link? The only difference in the URL's is that "_ax" is removed in the link that works, but they both refer to an .exe

It just makes no sense...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing AX from the url takes you to a DIFFERENT download. The AX is the IE plugin, but you probably already know that. You've most likely got a setting that BLOCKS ActiveX downloads or links to them.

If you can go to a wi-fi hot spot or download from another system (like a public library) onto a flash drive and then copy the file from there, you can work around it, but this is definitely a setting on your system that's preventing access.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your time and response.

You're probably right, guess I have some kind of system block for Active-X, since I can't download in other browsers either.(although I've never heard of such)

I checked my router logs as well, and strangely none of the attempts to download the ActiveX version were there. Only the Plug-in URL. Very strange!!!

But how can my PC know from just a file name in a URL that it is an ActiveX I'm ttrying to download? Not possible, must be something else....

(I'm not expecting an answer to that )

Anyway, thanks again.

Logging out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You got me there. I'm without a clue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first thing I would try if I encountered such a strange problem was to clear the browser cache, then try again.

If that still does not let you download, then here are two alternate downloads for the ActiveX installer

http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_active_...

http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_active_...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally a link that works: the .msi Thanks!

FYI, the blocking of download an exe for ActiveX seems to be related to F-secure in my case. I tried turning off everything incl realtime virusscan, firewall, deepguard etc but no luck. Then suddenly F-secure crashed, and then I was able to download the exe(in all my 3 browsers even). So it seems to be something in F-secure, but that is not possible for me to turn off within the F-secure GUI...

But I rather have F-secure blocking too much than too little

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

GordonOla wrote:

But I rather have F-secure blocking too much than too little

Until the day it "decides" your email is an attacker.   LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines