• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nuisance Pop-up Window

New Here ,
May 15, 2013 May 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have, within the last few days, been experiencing a nuisance pop-up window that shows the following text....

Flash Player WARNING!

Your FlashPlayer Have Serious Secure Bugs!

Please Update NOW!

The webpage name shown at the address bar is http://mplayer5888.info/flashplayer/install/

When using Mozilla Firefox, the window opens randomly in the same window I am currently using and puts a smaller window in front of it with the poorly written text in it. This means that whatever I was doing is terminated and I have to either back out, or close the browser. When using Google Chrome, it seems to open a new tab, again randomly, and the same windows and text are evident.

I am not sure if I have described this adequately but I hope that it can be understood.

I have not used Internet Explorer (I have version 8) so have not noticed this same thing happening.

Having seen this pop-up, and been concerned about it, I visited the official Adobe website and installed Flash Player 11 latest version from there but the same pop-up still randomly occurs. Furthermore, a virus scan and a malware scan is not showing any problems with my computer.

Any ideas? Is this a real concern, or just a phishing attempt?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing has been happening for me, starting a few days ago.  Ran a full-scan with Bitdefender and everything was clean.  It was a nuisance at first, but now it's starting to worry me quite a bit.  Does anyone know how to get rid of it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just happened again while i was foum browsing at mmo-champion.com, but this time it redirected me to a different website than before(the old mplayer588.info)

Here's what it looks like:

flashpopup.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered the same problem. Is this a malicious site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 16, 2013 May 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine started 3 days ago.   Only having problems on one particular website.   The appearance  of the message  has changed 3 times since it started.   The screen shot in your comment is exactly what it looked like last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's a malicious site, but avast! isn't picking it up. All I know is mplayer5888.info was registered on May 15, 2013 and the registration is private. I'm not sure that I'm not already infected with something, but I haven't installed whatever it is that they want me to install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's definitely not something from Adobe; either your systems are infected with malware, or the website you are visiting is pushing it (may also be infected).

Try http://www.malwarebytes.org/ (free) to check your own systems for malware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2013 May 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a paid up user of malwarebytes and neither that, nor Avast has picked up anything during a scan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2013 Jul 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if any of you have determined if this is just a phishing attempt or if just by having the website / pop-up means that the computer was actually compromised. I received the same pop-up message, coming from a website that was fake but looked a lot like the Adobe website, but the pop-up warning was badly written.

The new browser window appeared as I was reading an article on a dentist's blog. Once this new Window appeared, it only gave me the option to press OK on the pop-up Window, go Back, or close the Window. I went back and closed it. It has only happened once (yesterday).

The website, however, is not the same as you've listed above. For me, the problem was caused by http://funnygamel.com/FlashPlayer/index.html. I've run several URL scanners and all of them determine that there's no threat or vulnerability. I'm assuming that's just a phishing attempt but went ahead and notified Adobe through Facebook and an InfoSec guy in the office.

This is the link to the URL Scanner report: http://urlquery.net/report.php?id=3872690

This is an image of what the site looks like (a screen shot provided by the URL scanner):

screenshot.php.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem seemed to go away on its own for me. I never did download whatever it was that the pop-up wanted me to load. I have a couple of theories why it went away, either it was because I kept legitimately updating everything I could as often as I could (adobe, anti-virus, windows, etc), or perhaps a server on the site(s) where I would get the pop-up was infected and now it is okay, I don't know.

What would have happened to us if the pop-ups were better written?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to VirusTotal, the website that you listed was/is indeed a malicious site; mine doesn't get flagged as such:

Sophos URL description
URL subjected to threat Mal/HTMLGen-A.
Websense ThreatSeeker URL category
Malicious Web Sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be careful, according to whois funnygamel.com was registered on July 17, 2013. I think it's not on any lists because whoever is behind this moves from one site to another.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, I noticed that too. But I haven't clicked on anything because it's obvious that it's fake. The spelling was awful in the pop-up. But, should I be worried if only the new browser Window opened and I just closed it? I know that there are times that things run on the background...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines