• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mac installation says Safari is open, but it is not.

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2013 Apr 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPBr

OSX 10.8.3

Adobe Flash Player Version 11.7.700.169

Tried to install newest version of flash player when prompted.

Flash installer says that Safari is open and it can not continue, so I check my tasks and Safari is not open. I open safari and then close it with CMD+Q to ensure all instances are closed. This does not work.

Restart my computer to ensure that safari isn't open. Attempt installation again with fresh restart. Flash installer says that Safari is open and it can not continue.

Can not install newest version of Flash, nor can I locate information pertaining to this issue.

Any help is appreciated (assuming that it's not a problem with the latest installer which will be remedied shortly).

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 13, 2013 Nov 13, 2013

@Mike M - Agreed!

Note: Before using my method above, Safari was completely shut down and was not "lit".  Users should definitely check to ensure Safari is completely closed, before taking further measures.

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having same problem on both my macbook pro and mac mini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2014 Oct 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Command key + Q should close the program...hope is useful

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, tried for a week and no luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2013 Apr 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue at home on my personal 2011 Macbook Pro and at work on my 2012 Mac Pro Desktop. Both running OSX 10.8.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2013 Apr 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem still persisting. Flash wanted to install again today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 20, 2013 Apr 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem here! Anyone heard from Adobe about it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I am hoping that they either are working on the fix, or will soon respond to at least acknowledge that this is, indeed, an issue. Perhaps they ignore certain posts until they reach a certain number of replies. No idea at this point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I have no idea about Mac OS, and it appears that nobody else currently active in this forum has.

Does Mac OS provide something like a Task Manager, as Windows has?  Something to close processes that are running in the background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2013 Apr 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a windows tech all of my life. I'm new to Mac OS, but if you read my original post again, you'll note that I checked the running programs and safari was not running and I, then, took additional steps to ensure it was not running. Everything I know tells me this is a problem with the installer, not the user.

Thanks for the attempt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ADOBE - are you going to chime in here or attempt to fix the installer? That would be swell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2013 Apr 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that there is something called Activity Monitor on Mac OS; use this to close processes that run in the background.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2013 May 01, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

Your continued dedication to this thread and extending help to those with this issue is very appreciated. I do agree that it is quite common that user error is to blame over something else.

However, I am quite tech savvy, and I assure you that the issue is not related to safari running during the process. It is NOT running.

My assumption after spending some time trying to resolve this issue that it is, somehow, related to the installer. I would not have started a thread on these forums otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2013 May 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed issue on my Mac by uninstalling Flash with the uninstaller

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-mac-os.html

It will allow you to force close Safari (even though Safari doesnt apper to be open but there will be something running somewhere on the machine somewhere using a Safari library or plugin).

Then install as normal, and this time it shouldnt complain that Safari is open.

Regards.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2013 Jun 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Adobe proves Steve Jobs correct again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2013 Jun 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Adobe! I've spent the last month or more trying to install the latest version of Flash in Safari 6.0.5. I uninstalled Flash and reinstalled it, again getting the 'success' message but it's still not working. I wouldn't mind but there are still a few benighted organisations, like the BBC, who rely on Flash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, being prompted for days.  It's actually interrupting my work.  I'm going to uninstall Flash and monitor this thread for a post of a fix before I re-install.

Edit: I ran the Flash Player uninstaller, located here, which also prompted me to close Safari, which I did.  It then proceeded to uninstall without issue.  So again, to reiterate OP's point, Safari is NOT running and the Flash Update thinks it is.

However, I also am still getting the prompt from Adobe Flash Update.  So either a) the Adobe Flash Player isn't the problem, but actually Flash Pro or Flash Builder (both on my system) or b) it's still running and trying to update Flash Player even though it's uninstalled.  I'll reboot and see if it continues to prompt.  Then I may be forced to uninstall Flash Pro, then Flash Builder, to see if that gets rid of this obnoxious prompt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the offline installer here: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/mac/install_flash_player_11_osx.d...

If it won't download directly, right click and "Save as"

Quit Safari (Cmd+Q - DON'T just close the window)

Go to: Mac HD/Library/Internet Plugins

Trash the Flash Player.plugin file from there

Go to: Mac HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe

Trash the Flash Player folder (the whole folder)

Empty the trash

Reboot

Mount the DMG you just downloaded and run the installer.

Launch Safari and open a page with Flash content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

McBlob, Your soluution does nothing that using the uninstaller does. What that leaves out is that when you've done all that, Flash Player will claim to be installed but no Flash content will be visible after the initial Flash test screen. You have to go to Preferences>Security and select 'Allow all other plug-ins'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so you know... "Allow all other plug-ins" is selected BY DEFAULT in Safari.

SafariScreenSnapz001.jpg

I've had my new Mini for a month and I've NEVER made a single change to ANY Safari preferences (primarily because I use Firefox as my browser and Safari for testing web designs ONLY). As you can see it's checked (as it was when I took the Mini out of the box June 22nd), so if YOURS was unchecked, I submit that  YOU DID IT. The solution I posted is a combination of working recommendations from Adobe AND Apple, and it works for 99.9% of the people who follow it.
I held Apple Help Desk certification from 2004 to 2007 (when I worked for Intuit), and I know that the installer is SUPPOSED to replace the plugins, but I also know it doesn't always do it. THAT'S why those two steps are in the instructions. Better to take a minute to do them and be sure, than spend hours posting here looking for another soltuion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm talking about the UNinstaller.

Well, I didn't deselect it either (after all, I was using tthe Flash Player before) and it wasn't checked after I installed Flash Player. There have been innumerable cases of this happening rported on the internet which is how I learnt of it. My guess is that they changed something recently. And I used to have Apple Help desk certification too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point is: It's selected by default. The Flash Player update DOESN'T and DIDN'T unselect it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I give up. You obvuously know better than anyone else and you don't even use Safari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use cocaine either, but I know what it does to people. Make a point or leave the argument. There was a jackwagon on here last night who, because he had a cheap antivirus with bad definitions which ID'd Adobe as an attack site and he was unable to download anything, went into a couple dozen threads posting that the offline installers were no longer available because Adobe had done away with them. He had NOTHING to back up his false claim and I called him on it. He admitted his antivirus was the cause after he finally uninstalled it and was able to access the downloads again, but he screwed up his system and his first answer was "It's Adobe's fault." I don't buy that. I have seven different OS's (Mac, Win and Linux) running on as many machines without all the problems I see here daily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made my point and you have just ignored it. I have two Macs running Snow Leopard. On BOTH computers, I had Flash Player installed and it was working on Safari. When I installed an updated version of Flash Player, it did not work on EITHER. I eventually discovered, through another thread which is not dominated by an egomaniac, that 'Allow all other plug-ins' needed to be re-activated, so I thought I'd do others a favour and mention it here.

Now, I know that I did not change the preferences on my two copies of Safari just before installing the new Flash Player, so something did. Perhaps Flash Player didn't cause this but something did. But you know better. It occurs to me that there was an update to 10.8.4 shortly before the Flash update and that included a safari update which might conceivably have caused this. I don't know whether that caused the deselection but SOMETHING DID.

Wow, OSX, Linux and Windows, like half of the population. I can hardly contain my admiration. I came here looking for a solution (and when I had one, I wanted to share it) and all I got was you telling me how you knew better than anyone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines