• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does framemaker7 compatible with Window7?

New Here ,
Jul 09, 2013 Jul 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have framemaker7 license and was working on windowXP, but now we're planning to upgrade all the OS to Window7. But since we have a lot of framemaker documents and some of them are more than 1000pages which is really complicated.

I don't know if framemaker 7 is totally compatible with Window7?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 32-bit or 64-bit?

And what edition of Windows 7: Home, Premium, Ultimate, Enterprise, Pro?

I'm building a new PC with Windows 7 Pro. I'm expecting that I will need to run FM7 in "XP Mode" (XP32 emulation, a free download for Ultimate, Enterprise or Pro, but not available for Home or Basic).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window 7 Ultimate, Windows7 64-bit.  Is it possible to use it without "XP Mode"?

I tried find out on abode's website if framemaker 7 can be used on Window7, but only find that framemaker 11 can be used on Window7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, you have two challenges.

One is FM7, which I'm going to guess won't run properly on a 64-bit OS. As far as I know, you can get XP Mode for Ultimate. You do need a CPU with hardware virtualization for optimal performance. All recent 64-bit AMD chips (since 2006 or so) have "AMD-V" available. Whether Intel "VT" is present and not fused off on your Intel CPU is less certain. XP Mode also costs 1GB of physical RAM I hear, so I'm installing 16.

The other issue is Acrobat. You probably have Acrobat 5.x, which also is very unlikely to run in 64-bit Windows.

Can FM7 running in XP Mode print/save-to a later Acrobat (say, IX) running in native 64-bit? Interesting question.

It's apt to be a couple of weeks before I have personal experience with all this, as the new PC parts haven't arrived yet, and I'm still running FM7/Acro5 on XP32 SP3. I'm assuming that I will need to install both FM7 and Acro5 in XP32 emulation on Win7P/64.

Perhaps other users can comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll be able to get it to run in 32-bit mode, but there will be

incompatibilities.

I wouldn't want to trust an antique program that's five revisions old

running on an operating system that it was NOT designed to run on with my

company's docs -- if you're getting new systems it's time to update and

convert.

Art

Art Campbell

art.campbell@gmail.com

"... In my opinion, there's nothing in this world beats a '52 Vincent and

a redheaded girl." -- Richard Thompson

No disclaimers apply.

DoD 358

I support www.TheGrotonLine.com, hyperlocal news for Groton MA.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2013 Jul 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

> I wouldn't want to trust an antique program that's five revisions old running on an operating system that it was NOT designed to run on with my company's docs ...

Well, in my case it's for home use, but as I bring up the new Win7Pro64 PC, there are some things people might need to know about XP Mode:

1. It's on the same support life as XP itself, so there will be no security updates after 2014-04 or so. This may not be a problem if, in XP mode, you never surf the net, read PDFs, play Flash, or open other file types commonly used as malware mules.
  2. XP mode may not be available for download at some point in the near future (it is not bundled with the Windows 7 versions that permit it). If you think you'll ever need it, act soon. It is a full XP install, by the way, so it's huge.
  3. XP mode is not supported in Window 8 (yet another MS footgun blast on Win8), but reportedly can be hacked into working. You can still buy Win7 retail and OEM versions if you're building your own PC, as I'm doing, but from PC brands, you usually have to select from their business product lines to get Win7 or an option to downgrade to Win7.

I suspect I'll have more to report as I bring up various bits of legacy code in XPM.

If Adobe doesn't footgun the TCS licensing on FM12, I'm likely to upgrade to it at home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines