• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot print WebHelp topics in Firefox 8 and Expand/Collapse button not functioning

Nov 14, 2011 Nov 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using RoboHelp HTML version 8.0.2.208 to generate WebHelp output. In the WebHelp output file, the Print and Expand/Collapse toolbar buttons are not functioning in Firefox 8. Table of Contents, Index, Glossary display fine in Firefox/IE. Print and Expand/Collapse buttons work fine in IE.  Do I need to enable a Firefox 8 setting (our QA dept tried enabling/disabling multiple Firefox options but didn't fix the problem)? Or, could this be a matter of editing a JavaScript file in the RoboHelp output files?

Basically, if you press the Print toolbar button in the WebHelp output, nothing happens - no error and no Print dialog appears as it does in IE.

Pressing the Expand/Collapse toolbar button in the WebHelp output does not expand/collapse the drop-down text in a topic as it does in IE.

Any suggestions much appreciated!

Dana

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2011 Nov 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

What script are you using for the show/hide all and print button? My guess is that you're using an old script and that switchting to a more recent script will solve your problems. See

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 18, 2011 Nov 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam, the PrintTopic() script worked like a charm in IE and Firefox. However, the Expand/Collapse toolbar button script (from the Toggle.js file) still doesn't work in Firefox. The instructions didn't indicate to add the toggle.js file as a dependent file in the "Advanced" tab below - I will try that to see if that does the trick. Per the instructions I indeed added the toggle.js as a baggage file in Robohelp. Do I have an incorrect OnClick javascript action below? Here is the RoboHelp 8 skin setting for the custom toolbar:

toggleJSScreenshot.jpg

Thanks and have a nice weekend,

Dana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2011 Nov 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Do you use the latest version of the toggle script? Just tested Peter's example project with RH9 and FF8. Get the latest version of the script from: http://www.grainge.org/pages/various_rh_projects/rh8_showhide_toolbar/toggle.js

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 22, 2011 Nov 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Willam, yes I tried the newest script - same thing in Firefox 8 - Expand/Collapse button does not function. I have RoboHelp HTML 8.0.2.208, so perhaps the script only works when WebHelp is generated from RoboHelp 9.x?

I've tried enabling some settings in Firefox 8, but to no avail. Since Firefox is our secondary supported browser, our QA team is fine with the Expand/Collapse toolbar button only working in Internet Explorer, which is our primary. 

Thanks for the assistance.

Dana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2011 Nov 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Try and download the example project from Peter's site: http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/twisty/twisty.htm That is an RH8 project and it works in that project. Perhaps you can see what is going wrong in your project by examining the example project.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm also experiencing a problem. I have RoboHelp 8. I added the toolbarscript.js to my Baggage File and configured a Print button in the Skin Editor. I selected the Print button in the File > Generate > Primary Help layout dialogs, etc. It works like a charm in IE, but I can't print or do a Print Preview from Mozilla Firefox. I'll take a look at the sample project on twisty.htm the William mentioned. I was just wondering if anyone know of other resolutions since this topic was last discussed. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded the example project and I can't print or use print preview from Mozilla Firefox using RoboHelp 8. I guess I need to upgrade to 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Print Preview is a Firefox menu item, nothing to do with this script.

Try generating the help from the Single Source Layout tab and make sure you have the correct buttons selected.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter. I still can't print RH8 output from Firefox. I can print RH8 output from IE, though.

A Firefox sample of the blank Print Preview screen is below.

RoboHelpFirefox.gif

An IE sample of Print Previwe with content is below:

RoboHelpIE.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I understand now what you meant about Print Preview being unrelated to the script for RH. Even though I don't see help content in the Mozilla Preview screen, I can print content if I select Print as Displayed in that same hep project (rh8_showhide2.xpj). I'll experiment more with my project. Thanks!

PrintPreview.gif

The following is printed, but content doesn't appear in Print Preview (Preview is above).

Print_as_displayed.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 29, 2013 Jul 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Peter,

Thanks! I used toolbarscripts01.js and I can now print topics from Mozilla Firefox. I don't see content in Print Preview, but at least topics are printed via either the skin's Print button or File > Print. This is great.

Regards,

Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp