• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a Pantone equivalent to RGB black 0,0,0?

New Here ,
Jul 20, 2013 Jul 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a Pantone equivalent to RGB black  0,0,0?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kornbif,

You could check for 419 and 426 pantone color.

Is there any specific reason you are looking for Pantone equivalent for the RGB value ?

What is the intent of the Indesign document ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am doing a graphic standards guide for a project with school and we have to include the rgb, cmyk, hex and pantone equivalent. There probably isnt an exact equivalent with the pantone. So basically I have to have the exact equivalent to it or nothing at all. Is the 419 or 426 the equivalent to the RGB 0,0,0? It's the blackest one I have seen but I think it has to be exact. Thanks for the reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It isn't as simple as you make it. Your question about RGB=(0,0,0) leaves out a fairly critical piece of information. Exactly what RGB color space are you intested in? Adobe RGB? sRGB? Other? Based on what you wrote, your project also deals with CMYK color as well. But you have the same issue there. There are many different CMYK color spaces. You must specify which when trying to equate colors.

- Dov

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm I see, I might just have to ask the professor about it. Thank you all for your help though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Equivalent" is a pretty loose term, too. Pantone has spot to process "conversion" numbers for many of their colors, but I"m not sure I would consider most of them as truly equivalent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm I see, I might just have to ask the professor about it

You would hope the point of the assignment is to show  there are no equivalents because color conversions depend on the device, that's why there's such a complex color management system in place.

Single hit process black printed at normal densities can't come close to 0|0|0 in any of the provided RGB spaces, and you would have the same problem with single hits of any of the Pantone blacks. Pantone Black 6 C is the blackest at Lab 8|-2|-7.

Or if your starting color is 128|128|128 AdobeRGB gray and you want the CMYK values for a sheetfed coated press in Japan, sheetfed coated in the US, and a US Newspaper, you get this range of conversions:

cmyk.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much for your help! No that's not what the assignment was for šŸ˜ž thats what it felt like though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines