Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rename Project for Browser Title

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2007 Jan 17, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I've read through the forums quite a bit and still cannot figure this out: How do I rename my project or file so that the new and correct name appears in my internet browser title?

When I first began my project, I gave it a name for a small and specific topic. I then decided I was going to build around it and use it for my entire Help project. The old name remained. The instructions that I've found to rename the project pointed me to File > Project Settings > Project Title. I've done that, and the correct name is there, and the correct name also appears in my Primary Layout Properties window. Still, when I publish the project to the server and view it on the web, the old name appears in my browser title. That is not the name that our clients should be seeing!

I've gotten the impression that I'm NOT supposed to manually change the file name in Windows...right?

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2007 Jan 18, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are the files that get published when all you do is change your project's title the way you mention:

...\cshdat_robohelp.htm
...\cshdat_webhelp.htm
...\Start_Page.htm
...\Start_Page_csh.htm
...\Start_Page_rhc.htm
...\whcshdata.htm
...\whnjs.htm
...\whskin_homepage.htm
...\whskin_info.htm

If you're not seeing those in the list of files published, then something's up. What happens when you change the project's title and do a one-time publish with "Republish all" selected?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

btw... What does File > Rename Project... do for you? Same results of the name not changing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your tips.

You know what? I haven't yet manually deleted the old projects from the server, as I am prompted to do under File > Rename Project. Earlier today I PREVIEWED the project, and my new and correct name came up in the Browser Title there, but it still didn't change when I actually published to the server. I'm going to delete the old projects from the server and re-publish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'm officially stumped. I deleted the old project folders from the server to which I'm publishing. I renamed the project under File > Rename. I renamed the project under File > Project Settings. And I made sure the correct name was entered under my Primary Layout Properties Window (WebHelp Pro), both in Project Name AND Output Folder. (They really should have added MORE places to change the name!)

When I published to the server, the old name still appeared in my browser title. The only thing I'm wondering is: When I go to File > Rename Project, the Project Folder listed there is of the old name. But that is just the one on my machine, not on the server to which I'm publishing. And I can't edit that field anyway. Does that make sense? Is there something I've missed?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lorem_Ipsum,

If its just the matter of the Title displayed in the Frame, then the below is the way out...

A simple way to do this would be opening the Start page of your webhelp in an editor (Notepad), e.g. - "...\Start_Page.htm".

Edit the syntax:

<title>ENTER THE NAME YOU WANT</title>

and save the file and open the webhelp, this would display the changes.

NOTE:
You will have to do the above everytime you generate your webhelp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2007 Feb 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi:

I am also having the same problem. And, I have a merged WebHelp file (X5) with a whole bunch of sub-projects. The sub-projects are the ones that have the incorrect title in the browser. The main topic (container that holds all the sub-projects) is fine.

It's just not feasable for me to rename each one in the title tag every time I compile. There must be another way....can someone help me find it?

Thanks!

Diana O.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2007 Feb 12, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about the project title?

The title for the sub projects will only appear if those sub projects are called direct, otherwise you get the title for the parent. If you change the project title in the way ClubHans describes in his second post in this thread, once changed it will stick.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 01, 2007 Mar 01, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue (I think). I had my project first named as "XYZ Documentation," but later changed it something more meaningful by going to File > Rename Project. When I published the project, the file I got which I use as the link to documentation was still "XYZ_Documentation.htm" I guess you just have to manually change the file names. I was hoping to find a more automated method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I manually changed the filenames (generated and then re-published). That worked for getting the correct name in the URL, but the Browser Title Bar still reflects the old name. I guess you have to open .html file in notepad and change it manually. If anyone knows of an automated way, please post!

Right click the file and select Open with. Select Notepad. Once that opens, you'll see the HTML script. Search for the title tags (<title> </title>) and replace the old title with the new one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS. There are three Project HTM files and I'm curious to know the difference:

Filename.htm
Filename_csh.htm
Filename_rhc.htm

Update: Nevermind ... I found the answer by searching on WebHelp Output files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File | Rename does just that, it renames your Project, not your Start Page.

The start page is defined in the first page of the wizard and does not have to be the same as the project name. Indeed, many people follow the example of the norm for websites and call it index.htm.

The first file is in your list, the others two are files that the webhelp uses.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 2022.3.93 - Open your project, select Output, select Output Presets, right-click your output presets and click edit. I am using Frameless so the edit has "title" which when changed and published the web site will now show the new name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 22, 2024 Jan 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Rich.R Why post to a 16 year old thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp