• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open CC, indd files saved in an earlier versions in CS6

New Here ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When attempting to open CC files inside of version CS6 that have been saved by students in version CS4 and later, I get the following message" Cannot open "fileName.indd" because it was saved with a newer version of Adobe  InDesign (CS7.0) You must use tht version or later to open the file... How can I open these files? I also get plugin messages.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They probably use  Adobe InDesign CC that is why you can't open it back in Adobe InDesign CS6 or CS4. The only solution for that is to open that file back in InDesign CC, and Export that file into .idml format to be able to open it in lower version of InDesign. But you can't open .idml file in Adobe CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2013 Jul 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhpas I didn't pose the question well. I am trying to open the CC files that students resaved in an earlier version so that I can open it in CS6ā€”I don't have CC.

So far, they saved ther files in indd, inml, indt, and pdf. The pdf is the only file type I can open, which only lets me see their work, but I cannot check any of their formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They need to save as .idml to be opened in earlier versions, but the files will not look the same. You should all either be using CS6 or all be using CC. Subscribers to Creative Cloud can download and install BOTH versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's weird. But I guess they didn't properly Exported the file into an .idml file. Save As is different from File -> Export to idml

If your student did just File -> Save As, thinking that Save As works just like MS Word that saving it will work with backward compatibility to a lower version of InDesign then probably it won't work.

However, just ask them to Re-Export the file to .idml and see if you can open it in your InDesign CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is INCORRECT. File > Save As IDML is identical to exporting to IDML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My Bad. I'm sorry for that. I stand to be corrected. Since I been using InDesign I wasn't doing Save As, that is why I didn't notice it gonna work. Haha. Lesson learned. I always File -> Export to idml that is why I overlook the possibility that there is indeed an option for Save As idml.

Sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as should works fine, as long as they choose .idml from the file type dropdown and don't simply type the extension in place of .indd.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error messages were written before the decision was made to drop CS version numbering in favor of CC. When you see CS7 it means the file was saved in the vew CC version (Indesign 9.0). CS6 is version 8.0.

If you are a creative Cloud subscriber you can download and install the new versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines