20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2013 8:58 AM by Was DYP RSS

Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD

TRigs02

I am trying to add Acrobat 9 PPD to my Indesign Cs6 presets. When I try to follow the following steps I have the presets folder highlighted and when I try to add the folder it goes to another location in my applications. I tried to drag it into the folder and it goes into a sub folder. I feel stupid there has to be an easier way. I am on a MAC 10.7.5 - Thanks

• 1. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
          Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

I found this in the comments from two years ago to this article: InDesignSecrets » Blog Archive » Acrobat’s Adobe PDF Printer Replaced in Snow Leopard

Short description to the workaround Solutions
          —————————————————–
          1) Usual workaround for printing with Distiller under SL and InDesign CS4:
          Copy the PPD called “ADPDF9.PPD” (download-link here in this topic) to Library/Printers/PPDs /Contents/Resources/en.lproj

Works for CS4. Problem: Does NOT work for CS5.

2) Workaround for InDesign CS5:
          - Go to Applications/Adobe Indesign CS5/Presets
          - Create a folder called “PPDs” (attention: foldername is case-sensitive!)
          - Copy the PPD called “ADPDF9.PPD” (download-link here in this topic) into this folder.
          - PostScript Printer will be useable within InDesign CS5

Hope that helped and clears up all questions so far.

Cheers, hi2hello

My guess would be that the same procedure will work in CS6.

• 2. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
            Willi Adelberger MVP

In case you want to add the PPD to produce a PDF you should use the export function inside InDesign to create PDF. Avoid postscript as far as possible in the use with InDesign.

• 3. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
              Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

You don't need to add any PPDs to export to PDF, but unfortunately you cannot export from Print Booklet, which may be the source of the OP's problem.

• 4. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                TRigs02 Community Member

Thank you for the ideas. The reason I am going down this long twisted road if for my InDesign class. I need to print the color seperations and I have a large format printer. A Canon Pro9000. It will not let me choose color seperations in the Indesign print settings. I was reading a bunch of different things and came across how to ad the PPD to my presets and I can't do that. I still don't know what it's not letting me create a folder. In short my hope was to be able to I was trying to save a pdf for each color seperation and print it. I was running into all sorts of issues with the post script and adding the PDF printer. I do not really know or understand what distiller does. I am a student and just starting out. I do have Cs6 so if anyone knows a better way I would love to hear.

• 5. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                  Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

OK, that makes sense. The only way you can get seps out of ID is to print them, and you can only print seps on a CMYK device (meaning it interprets Postscript). It appears your Canon printer is an RGB device.

The only way I can think of on your Mac to make use of the PPD to print seps, however, is to load it, then print to Postscript file. To print that file you need either a Postscript pinter, or you need to have Acrobat Distiller installed (It's part of the full version of Acrobat, not Reader) to distill the Postscript file to PDF, which you can then print on the Canon. Do you have Acrobat? Do you have access at school to a Postscript printer? It would be a lot easier to just print to a printer that can handle the seps...

• 6. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                    TRigs02 Community Member

I do have the full version of Acrobat and I do have Distiller installed. I just don't understand how to use it. As you can see I have enough informaiton to be dangerous. I would love to just have someone else print it for me but finding a printer that is open when I need it has been the challange. 16 credit hours is crazy. I know for the future when I am doing design full time for a living give yourself plenty of time for printing corrections. So for now I am trying to muck thru with my trusty Canon and the help from the fine folks in the Abobe forums

• 7. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                      Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

So where do you stand on getting the PPD installed? Did you follow the directions in step 2 from my post above? The directions mention that things are case sensitive, but don't tell you to leave out the quote marks.

• 8. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                        Was DYP Community Member

Not sure why you want or need to print color seps. But you could create a CMYK PDF from IDs export and open it in PS and select each separate CMYK channel only and print each one through the normal printer driver.

• 9. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                          Was DYP Community Member

- Create a folder called “PPDs” (attention: foldername is case-sensitive!)
                          - Copy the PPD called “ADPDF9.PPD” (download-link here in this topic) into this folder.
                          - PostScript Printer will be useable within InDesign CS5

Hope that helped and clears up all questions so far.

Cheers, hi2hello

My guess would be that the same procedure will work in CS6.

Folder names should be PPDS not PPDs.

• 10. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                            Peter Spier ACP/MVPs

I'm just quoting the InDesignSecrets article -- I'm a Windows user with no way to verify...

• 11. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                              Steve Werner ACP/MVPs

The folder name "PPDs" works for me. See below:

PPDs.jpg

And the result in InDesign CS6:

PPDs2.jpg

And it still works in InDesign CC as well!

• 12. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                                Was DYP Community Member

Must not be case sensitive then.

• 13. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                                  Steve Werner ACP/MVPs

Whatever works for you. That has worked in every version of InDesign I've tried.

• 14. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                                    dwegowy

I know this issue has been hanging around for a long time, and I appreciate the solutions/workarounds provided here and elsewhere.

My issue now is that the PPD I've installed is not available for other users on this same computer.

i.e. "My" InDesign allows me to print to postscript with this particular PS printer PPD, but another user logged in on this same Mac doesn't get that PPD as an option in the print-to-postscript dialog. It's simply not listed there.

Any advice?

Mac OS 10.7.5 - CS5.5 (ID 7.5.3)

• 15. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                                      BobLevine UGM

Advice? Sure...Export to PDF.

• 16. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                                        Was DYP Community Member

dwegowy wrote:

I know this issue has been hanging around for a long time, and I appreciate the solutions/workarounds provided here and elsewhere.

My issue now is that the PPD I've installed is not available for other users on this same computer.

i.e. "My" InDesign allows me to print to postscript with this particular PS printer PPD, but another user logged in on this same Mac doesn't get that PPD as an option in the print-to-postscript dialog. It's simply not listed there.

Any advice?

Mac OS 10.7.5 - CS5.5 (ID 7.5.3)

Where did you install the Adobe PDF PPD? In the same folder as the app resides or in the User folders somewhere.

• 17. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                                          dwegowy Community Member

If I have to justify my question: I have encountered files that produce an error when exporting to PDF, and sometimes a workaround is to print to PS and then distill to PDF (may be font related). As well, with some workflows, it can be handy to batch-distill a set of PS files with one setting, then the same files with another, for different results/purposes.

• 18. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                                            dwegowy Community Member

It's in Applications/Adobe InDesign CS5.5/Presets/PPDS/ and it's visible there for any user.

N.B. I found no difference using PPDS or PPDs as that folder name.

• 19. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                                              dwegowy Community Member

Ah, you got me thinking about file permissions and that was the catch. First tried giving "everyone" R/W access but that didn't work, so, logged in as that user, I added them to the PPD with R/W access and now it works.

Thanks for the mental nudge, Was DYP.

• 20. Re: Issues Installing Adobe Acrobat PPD
                                                Was DYP Community Member

You beat me to my next question - suggestion.