• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premier Media Cache Files eating up Drive Space

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Premiere Pro CS 5.5, Media Cache files are eating up the Boot Drive. I keep media and render files on 2 additional internal drives. When I tried to move the Media Cache files from inside Premiere Pro, it resulted in an inability to read the drives from the Startup> Computer menu on the Desktop. This window would open but it was blank  with green bar scrolling across the top (as though the computer was trying to read the 3 internal drives. I had to restore the System to correct the problem. How do I reset  the Media Cache files to my Render drive which has the most available space without causing a read system problem. When can one safely delete the Media Cache files?

I was an FCP user and all we had to do was delete the render files and/or the media files to get space back. Never had a read system problem from it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally what you did works fine.  Try it again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2013 Jul 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do three things.

1 Go to EDIT - Preferences - Media and CLEAN your cache.

2. You can also browse via explorer to the MEDIA CACH. The directory path is shown there in the screen where you CLEAN.

Usually the name is ..../user/yourname/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Common/MediaCache -  the path is shown on that screen and then delete items and render files etc.

3. At that screen, you can also change your Media CACHE to be stored with your Project Files and Autosave files.

4. I think you can delete them anytime, because even if you delete them. Adobe will re-create them next time you open the project, but it will want to relink. But maybe double cheque on this before doing. I have deleted render files out of here with no negative effect. But there are also other files here. That I would want

to do more investigation before deleted.  But as it is relinking..don't touch ANYTHING until it completes relinking because that seems to cause the sound and vision to go out of sync. It seems a bit of a bug in Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes tmztv that is exactly whet I ended up doing. Including placing the Media Cache files ona USB 3.0 external HD with my video files. Admittedly Adobe did suggest this cleaning out the cache files. As an old FCP user I just found FCP more concise with such files; Adobe just seems to throw stuff all over the place. I am a video editor not a programmer and having to tend to such issues is annoying. HEAR THAT ADOBIE PROGRAM YOUR SOFTWARE BETTER.

Thanks tmztv for your confimation. I think we should get paid by Adobie for dealing with these issues or get a 90% discount on their new software for assisting others and solving issues or creating work arounds.

Martin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks tmztv for your confimation. I think we should get paid by Adobie for dealing with these issues

You wouldnt earn much.  You dont even have any Adobe Forum points yet! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

hay, can i throw away the folder Media Cache AND media cache files? or ONLY media cache? thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 05, 2015 Mar 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After downloading tree size it led me to the adobe files that looked way too big. Then I found this site when asking if it would be okay to delete the cached files. After reading your post I tried it and I got back 66GB. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines