• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

how to check if web application already running?

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it any way to check, if a web application is already running on clients computer.  In other words how to prevent users to opens second instance of the same running application??

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps checking the client IP address or use Websocket.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiple users could be coming through the same proxy, or route.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the answer, but I would explore Websocket. Internet is stateless; but Websocket allows us to maintain connections. Perhaps, you could take the advantage and apply it to the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not sure what you mean.

The application (scope) only runs once.  A user cannot force another application scope to open up, ColdFusion controls this.  If no request is made within the timespan set for the application timeout, then the next request fires off the onApplicationStar() BIF automatically before the request BIFs are executed.

If you mean that you don't want them to have more than 1 browser open to the same website, I'm not sure that's going to cause any issues; as what was said before, the web is stateless.  ie:

If I open Chrome, and in Tab 1 I goto home.cfm and in Tab 2 I goto home.cfm the to ColdFusion, it basically sees 2 requests to home.cfm made from (in essence) the same person (even though it doesn't know that until you implement some form of user tracking).

But even if a person logs into a website, the session data is shared for the browser or session (depending in how your sessions are setup)  So even if he logs in on Tab 1, the next time he goes anywhere in Tab 2, it'll be when he's logged in.  The 2 tabs share the same session data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation