• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Flash installer continues to shove unwelcome stuff down our throats.

New Here ,
Jul 31, 2013 Jul 31, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest: Google Toolbar and Chrome will be installed unless you catch and uncheck a subtle checkbox before initiating the download (several steps before running the installation).

Long-standing behavior of authorizing automatic updates by default is also inappropriate.  Adobe is an irresponsible net citizen.  All active options should be opt-in, not opt-out.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The software bundling isn't going to change anytime soon, so you need to learn to read things before you click them. Java, VLC Media player, Corel WinDVD, Roxio Media Creator... all use bundled installers with something or other that needs to be "unchecked" to prevent it from installing. It's NOT just Adobe, and again, it ISN'T going to change as long as people want "free" software and updates.

And you DO have the option to choose how Flash Player updates, but apparently you're not savvy enough to figure it out, so I'll help you.

When viewing Flash content on any site, right click the video and choose "Global Settings". This will open your Flash Player settings in either the Control Panel (Windows) or System Preferences (Mac).

Then under the "Advanced" tab you'll see the following:

Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz005.jpg

In Windows... or:

System PreferencesScreenSnapz001.jpg

in Mac OS X.

So before you go accusing a company of being "irresponsible" for things you have the ultimate control over, perhaps you should become more educated, and responsible, yourself. Adobe DOESN'T run your computer... YOU DO.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not clear to me why you're defending this behavior.  It is irresponsible.  Fwiw, I'm familiar with the mechanisms to avoid these installations, and use them regularly.  I just find them annoying and inappropriate.  Opt-in should always be the default approach, not opt-out.  I'm open to a persuasive argument from a vendor, and I'm willing to pay for what I want.  I just don't like them trying to dupe me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see how you took ANYTHING I posted as "defending the behavior". I simply stated that it ISN'T going to change; not at Adobe, not anywhere in the indutry; so YOU need to change the way you do things (read before you click) or they're going to get you every time. The ONLY way it will stop is if Adobe (and everyone else who offers freeware with updates) starts charging ($10 or more) for each and every update.

If they did that you'd complain about having to pay to update software that "should be free", so there's really no pleasing you and people who think like you.
The ONLY thing I have a problem with (and I've witnessed it personally) is when the updater installs McAfee Security Scan without any opt out, but that's been documented and reported. As far as the stuff that people CAN opt out of and don't, that's not Adobe's problem or mine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough, you didn't defend them. Not wanting to be offensive here. and happy enough to let this go, but you are making unwarranted assumptions. As I noted, I am willing to pay for what I want, and don't complain that anything "should be free"  and I don't need to change my behavior - I do protect myself against unwanted installations. I was merely complaining that Adobe has implemented yet another unwelcome default behavior (one not covered by your instructions - it requires an additional, earlier prevetative step).  I suppose I should have titled my remark to the effect that Adobe continues to try to shove things down our throats - I don't let them. My intent really was to call attention to this additional step they've slipped in, to warn the less vigilant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They've done it since 2004 that I know of (I began testing Reader for Intuit Quickbooks and Turbotax compatibility in July 2004 and I've seen it since then), so it's hardly "the latest" thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines