• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS5 - Cannot open File. Please upgrade your plug-ins to their latest version, or ....

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS5 - Impossible to open a lot of indd. file. You can see exactly what happen in the fallow screenshot. Updates and upgrades done.

What can I do for open those indd. ??? tx

cannot open file.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

These are CS5.5 files and cannot be opened directly in CS5. They must be exported from CS5.5 to .idml, and those files should open in CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are CS5.5 files and cannot be opened directly in CS5. They must be exported from CS5.5 to .idml, and those files should open in CS5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error message here is misleading; these files were saved with InDesign CS5.5.  You either need to upgrade to CS5.5, or open these files up with CS5.5 and export an IDML file which can be opened up in CS5.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2012 Jan 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks guys, now is clear. I didn't realize the version number. I thought CS3 > CS4 > CS5 > CS6 (why CS5.5 ??).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2013 Jan 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the same error (with slightly different plugins). I am opening a template. I Am POSITIVELY using CS5.5 to attempt to open it. I can open the included .idml file. Frustrating.

id.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2013 Jan 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your template was probably saved from CS6. you can check using this script: Adobe Forums: [Ann] Identify Your InDesign File

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 03, 2013 Aug 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i've been having the same issues, and read all the notes i can find which suggest that they save their file as an IDML file, and that STILL DID NOT WORK! what the heck! i've wasted 3 work days and need this resolved.

ONE file was done on my cs5.5 and opened by a client on the cs7 version and saved back to me.

ANOTHER file was started on an older version, not sure, and i'm trying to open it to finish it.

BOTH did the idml and neither are openable. Isn't indesign responsible to get all versions compatable with a patch or plugin or something? what can i do? thanks for your help, desperate,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 03, 2013 Aug 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your CS5.5 patched to 7.5.3?

What is the EXACT error message you receive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what patch? i have to get a patch for each version THEY have? my editor sent me an indesign file from an older version also and could not open that.

after much searching, i did what some suggeted and bought SOXY software for $20, acting like a filter, and it worked great this weekend, not sure if the OTHERS will be able to RE-open the files but that's their business, i guess. i'm angry at adobe for not having a go-between for this. i've been advised to NOT go searching after the long list of plug-ins but if you know of a patch or update that will fix these i would be eternally grateful!

thanks!

lisa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lihain2 wrote:

what patch? i have to get a patch for each version THEY have?

For every version Adobe periodically releases "service patches" that contain bug fixes and the final patch usually also updates .idml compatibilty for the next version. The last patch for CS5.5 was 7.5.3 and it solves a lot of problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And it adds a different alert that specifies that the file you're trying

to open was created in a later version of InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines