Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Downloading a new version on Surface RT

New Here ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I just got a Microsoft Surface RT and am still getting used to both it and Windows 8, so I apologize if this is a stupid question. I'm trying to download the most recent version of Flash player (currently I have 11.3-something) but whenever I go to the download page, I get redirected to the "Compatibility issues | Windows 8" page before the download page finishes loading. I'm not sure if it's because there's another way I'm supposed to download Flash player for the tablet, or what. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi surfaceguy,

The Surface should come already bundled with Flash Player.  Flash Player comes bundled with Windows 8 devices and updates come through the windows update service.  To confirm that you have flash already installed, please go here and verify:

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dandab,

Thanks. I was already on that screen earlier. The version I currently have installed is 11.3.377.15. I was trying to download the more recent version since this one wasn't working for videos on one of the main websites I use. I tried looking through all the different reasons why it might not have been working and it seemed the only one that was applicable was the outdated version. That's why I was trying to download the most recent one, which didn't work. Any thoughts?

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this issue only happening on a specific video from a specific website, all videos on a specific website, or all videos on all websites? Can you link the video so I can try on my end.  You can pm it to me if you'd rather not post on the public forum.

...and just to make sure all the bases are covered, have you tried everything else on this page?

http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-issues-windows-8.html#main-pars_header_0

disabliing the ActiveX filtering may solve you're problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of now I've only had a problem with one website, and it's all the videos on that site (that I've tried, anyway--just tried a few). The site I've been using is Chabad.org. There are a bunch of videos here: http://www.chabad.org/multimedia/default_cdo/aid/591213/jewish/Jewishtv.htm

I think I've done everything on that page. Double-checked ActiveX and it wasn't a problem. Tried using Desktop mode. Flash player looks like is activated and other sites like mlb.com and youtube apps have worked fine. I clearly don't have the most updated version of flash player installed though, according to the version that this website told me. Getting to that download screen is where I had problems. Specifically, I was trying to follow the first link of Step 4 on this page: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.  I've read all the suggestions on this site and like surfaceguy, have followed all the directions given.  I must be doing something wrong, however, because I end up getting the same error message on almost every video I try to watch and also on Snapfish when I tried to work on scrapbok projects.  Any other suggestions?  My Surface is new and I'm ready to return it for something more functional.  Thanks for any suggestions you can offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! So as you can see, I never got an answer to this, but I think it worked itself out when I downloaded updates for the Surface itself. (Check the power button--if there's an update and restart option, press it.) I don't exactly remember but I think once I got all the updates on there, the issue went away. I didn't find out anything particular that got it to work. If you really just got it, maybe that's the problem for yours too.

Hope that helps! I've become a big fan of my Surface personally so I hope you get it working.

All the best,

surfaceguy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows 8, Flash Player is updated via Windows Update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to both Pat and surfaceguy.  I thought we did all the Windows updates last night but I'm still getting the same error messages on the videos I tried to watch and Snapfish.  I will work on it again today. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It may be delivered under Optional Updates, but I don't know since I do not have (or want) Windows 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines