Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conditional Text Not Being Processed Properly

Mar 05, 2007 Mar 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have configed all my references for softcopy and hardcopy. They are configured like this: "For more information, refer to {start softcopy}Applying Schedules.{end softcopy}{start hardcopy} "Applying Schedules" on page nn.{end hardcopy}

When I build the help, I am creating the online help file so I specify NOT Hardcopy. At any rate, for some of my references, both text for softcopy and hardcopy appear. I have checked each one and the text strings are highlighted in different colours as they should be.

Would something like too little memory in the machine I am using cause this to happen?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2007 Mar 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You sure you are not trying to justify more memory in your machine? :-)

Is it always the same strings that play up? Try clearing one of them and then applying just one of the conditions, then alternate that with the other string and so on. Post back the results.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mar 06, 2007 Mar 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I tried that and it worked. I first made both strings just hardcopy and they didn't appear in help, then I reversed the hardcopy and softcopy so the ref with a page reference appeared in the online help, and then I put them back to the original way. Now I only see the correct reference in the online helpe. But, I have to check now to make sure other topics haven't broken in this way. I am thinking they won't have otherwise I really will have a problem.

THANKS...

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect the code had got just slightly mangled. Might be worth examining one you have corrected and one that is still playing up. May make fixing the rest easier.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok now I have something else similar happening. When I view the topic directly that had the problematic conditional text it is now ok. However, when I click a hyperlink to the now fixed topic from another topic, all the links in it appear with both hardcopy and softcopy strings, including the original problematic link.

Then I go back to the problematic topic directly from the TOC to make sure I am not losing my mind and it is ok.

Any idea what this is? Doesn't seem to display topics properly when navigating to them from other pages. Is something held in memory or temp files somewhere? Can I delete the files created and start fresh? I wonder if this would help?

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this in the generated help or in preview?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generated help and I should also say that I view it from my desktop, not the original folder in RoboHelp, although I have RoboHelp create it on the desktop as all the pages are empty (non-resolvable) if I view it from anywhere else. This is due to permissions or something set up on our LAN (it could be a mounted directory too). Someone in the company says the LAN and the rest of my PC storage (which points to \\cronos making me think it is mounted or something) does not have executable permission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Egh?

Generate a new output to say C:\test and test that.

Are we talking webhelp here?

Also create a new project with a similar set up (don't import topics) and test that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 07, 2007 Mar 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I think I might have figured out what is causing it but getting rid of the problem seems impossible. After looking through the HTML code in the project and generated help and finding nothing... after making both text strings hardcopy and regenerating and finding when I went directly to the topic the reference was empty as expected (since I generated online and both were marked softcopy), but finding when I went to the topic from a link in another topic, both text strings were there (hardcopy and softcopy).

What I remembered was that when I started on the project and created hyperlinks using Insert->Hyperlink, they were being created as external links even though I didn't select external and an object was being created at the end of the topics list (Topics tab) for eaxh one. Here is an example of one file:////cronos/Usr/kwatson/Operations Guide/TeleDriver Operations Guide Draft 1 for Import into Help/Starting_the_Vacation_Pick.htm. I think it was doing this because of the \\cronos\... location of the files which is actually My Documents and every other directory on my PC (except desktop). The problem is which I right-click on these I can't edit them or delete them.

I don't know what to do? I have opened all the project files I can find using Notepad to see if these objects are referenced there and checked the HTML files in notepad to see if there are objects in them that are causing these to appear in the Topics list but I cannot find any.

Help LOL... sorry for the pun.

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you try inserting a hyperlink to any file that is not actually inside your project directory, RH considers it an alien being even though it reluctantly adds the hyperlink.

However, the price it exacts from you is to create that "hard" link (going outside the project and identifying the path starting at C:\). Once you publish to any location outside your local machine (C:\), you're cooked.

I suspect you're also working the project and/or linked files across shared drives on a network, which is a recipe for disaster. If you are, stop!

Good luck,
Leon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for the kind info... You are right, at least I think it is across LANs. I am a contractor and was put into an emergency situation where the customer had contractually requested online help but there had been almost a complete change of employees here due to a buy-out. They requested my directories be set up this way even though I queried why... I think they think of me as an intruder or something. Anyways, I am finished except for these cosmetics so it is too late to stop.

Can I republish the source elsewhere using the tool they supplied? I am assuming it will update all the directory references in links and graphics. I was thinking of republishing it to the LAN and then having one of the employees who will be taking over republish back to thier hard drive.

At any rate, I HAVE FOUND A WORKAROUND that my client is pleased with as hardcopy is not the contracted deliverable (this time hahah). That is to remove the hardcopy reference and remove the online highlighting/conditional text tag. This works. However, I have warned them that if they generate hardcopy, they will have to add the page refs and quotation marks in manually.

Whew... They are happy 'cause they just want something they can deliver.

Kim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp