• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

If FP doesn't work, does it have anything to do with Skype not working?

Participant ,
Aug 05, 2013 Aug 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Nuff said.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot edit my original post, so I have to do it here:

I am running IE9 with Windows 7 Professional.

I installed FP 11 three times last week, each time saying the installation was successful, but a plug-in will still NOT install.  I called Adobe last Friday and even agreed to pay $40 to have it fixed.  The tech tried everything and did not succeed, so this has moved to "the next level," and I await a phone call or something from the Support Portal.  At least an Adobe tech has now seen this issue firsthand, so that much feels good.

In the meantime, Skype video will not connect.  It did a week ago.  Today, the rotating circular arrow keeps going around and around.  Audio is fine, but even that wasn't working >at first<.  My subwoofer would play anything in the computer or on the Internet just fine, but cuts out when a Skype call comes through.  I am trying to find someone else online at Skype to see what happens for a call with someone else.  Everyone I know is ofline at the moment.

I'm trying to narrow the field because the Flash Player issue has been going on for at least a few weeks now.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Skype relies on Flash Player settings to access your cam. Check your Flash Player Global Settings In the Control Panel; if you choose View>Large Icons you'll see a Flash Player icon. In that control panel window you can set the camera settings. It should be enabled for Flash Apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what you mean by "FP >Global Settings<," but I clicked on the icon and got FP >Settings Manager<.  (How things are worded is everything to me.)  If that is what you mean, then all I see is a tab for Camera Settings and Mic, with two choices, one that says "Ask me when a site wants to the use the camera or microphone" and another that says "Block all sites from using the camera or microphone."  The first option is selected.  And it seems, for the moment, that Skype is back on track.

However, under the Advanced tab is the dreaded FP plug-in that won't work.  Next to the Check Now button is "ActiveX Version 11.8.800.94" and "Plug-in Version: Not installed."  The Adobe tech told me that my computer will not give this plug-in permission to install and he doesn't know how to acquire that permission.  So no YouTube, MSNBC videos, nothing.

The only other thing I can think of is that I have a program on my HP laptop called Simple Pass, which uses a finger scan to record user names and passwords.  I wonder if that might be in the way of the plug-in.  I'm not too excited about messing with Simple Pass because I have a LOT of passwords set up.  They are all recorded elsewhere, so I wouldn't lose anything, but I sure don't relish reconstructing them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would seem that you've got Internet Explorer set as your default browser. That's what the "ActiveX" version is for. There is another Flash Player plugin for other browsers like Firefox. If you have Firefox or Chrome set as your Default browser, Skype will use the plugin for other browsers to enable your Flash player and cam. That could be what's causing the troubles - it's trying to enable a plugin that isn't, and can't be (for the permission reason), installed.

Permissions issues can usually be overcome by creating a new Admin account and installing under that account. Once it's installed you can log back into your account and the plugin should enable for you in IE.

Sometimes though, even that doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

On Windows it is best to have both add-ons installed; the ActiveX and the plugin.  Even if you don't use another browser like Firefox, you may need the plugin for Adobe Reader, or in your case Skype.  And even if someone does not use Internet Explorer, they may still need the ActiveX e.g. for Flash content in Powerpoint presentations.

I still think Adobe should bundle the two installers together; please vote here if you agree: https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=2945082

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines