• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I get my web cam to work in Adobe Connect ?

New Here ,
Oct 11, 2011 Oct 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is actually an end user's question that I am having trouble answering to...

We use Adobe Connect to give online language classes, the end user is one of the students.

I cannot find the right Support answer to give him.

Problem:

My camera does not work when I connect to Adobe's rooms but camera works fine with other software.

Even though I suspected my old camera was working fine, yesterday I went ahead and bought a new camera. 

I thought perhaps my webcam software may have been a problem, so I bought a different type camera with different software. 

Even after removing all the old software, same result:  

I surmised the problem might be caused by my firewall and security software, so once I tried changing the permissions for Adobe, and my Webcam, but that didn’t work.   

Another time, I restarted my computer right before class and then turned off my firewall completely so there would be no interference but to no avail. I’m totally perplexed.  

Isn’t there anyone else experiencing a similar problem?   Has anyone else found a solution? 

I run Windows Vista with McAfee Internet Security Software.  I always reboot the computer before class and open no other programs other than Google Chrome. 

I now have a brand new Microsoft LifeCam Cinema Camera with LifeCam 3.5 Webcam Software. 

I test my camera before going online.  It always works fine.   Then I shut down the camera program and login into class.   

When I “connect webcam” in the room, the light on my camera comes on (suggesting that it is ON), but only a black image is transmitted to the room.

TOPICS
Desktop application

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User
Oct 13, 2011 Oct 13, 2011

I suspect the frame rate is above 20 and is probably 30 frames. That is too high for Flash to accept.  Most webcams stream at 15 as the norm. So, you might have to call Microsoft tech support for that camera to see what the specs are and how to change it.

I see on Amazon.com that it says this: "720p sensor captures true HD quality video at up to 30 fps."

So the default high is 30 which is why you are getting the black box....too high a frame rate.

You'd have to go into the settings or call Microsof

Votes

Translate

Translate
Oct 11, 2011 Oct 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Adobe makes no statement about support for any specific webcam, I'll offer my suggestions.

1. Adobe Connect support DVD quality webcams  - that is 640x480 resolution at 20-24 frames per second.

2. If you see a black box then that means your camera is sending too high of a resolution. Most web conferencing solutions today support 640x480 webcams so Adobe Connect is no different in that regard.

Suggest you play with the Microsoft camera settings to make sure you are using 640x480 resolution and only sending 20 frames per second. Adobe Connect can support 24 fps but the administrator would have to go into the XML setting file on the server to increase the frames setting.

Understand that sending 640x480 resolution is pretty darn good and when you consider that you could have 1500 people attending a meeting and if a number of them had webcams the bandwidth requirements would be huge. There is a reason for liniting webcam use on web conference meetings due to the condition of your network or the networks you will be on when attending.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot Heyward for the swift reply !

I sent the advice out to the end user, but unfortunately this wasn't the solution.

His reply is below :-

The default resolution of my new camera is already set at 640x360, but I went ahead and tried several lower resolutions (e.g. 424x240; 320x240; and 160x120) but none worked in the room - camera still showed up as black blank screen.  Also, as far as I can tell, I don’t have the option of adjusting the frame rate.

I started playing around with my Internet Security Settings to see if they might be playing a role. So far, all to no avail. 

Hmm...quite a tricky one - webcams always are - maybe if he can find a way to adjust the frame rate (?). 

He's going to fiddle about with the settings a bit more and see if something does the trick.

If anyone has had a similar problem and found an ingenious solution, please jot on a note on this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if you have Google Voice installed. If so, remove it and see

if your problem vanishes. If not Google Voice, check to see if you have

any other communications software which interacts with your cam and

disable it. This was the problem I had with a similar problem on a Mac.

MosesJOI <forums@adobe.com>

10/13/11 12:08 PM

Please respond to

jive-1925399589-9dnu-2-2d2xl@mail.forums.adobe.com

To

jsb152 <jjones@fec.gov>

cc

Subject

How can I get my web cam to work in Adobe Connect ?

Re: How can I get my web cam to work in Adobe Connect ?

created by MosesJOI in General Discussion - View the full discussion

Thanks a lot Heyward for the swift reply !

I sent the advice out to the end user, but unfortunately this wasn't the

solution.

His reply is below :-

The default resolution of my new camera is already set at 640x360, but I

went ahead and tried several lower resolutions (e.g. 424x240; 320x240; and

160x120) but none worked in the room - camera still showed up as black

blank screen. Also, as far as I can tell, I don’t have the option of

adjusting the frame rate.

I started playing around with my Internet Security Settings to see if they

might be playing a role. So far, all to no avail.

Hmm...quite a tricky one - webcams always are - maybe if he can find a way

to adjust the frame rate (?).

He's going to fiddle about with the settings a bit more and see if

something does the trick.

If anyone has had a similar problem and found an ingenious solution,

please jot on a note on this thread.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not

directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either

reply to this email or visit the message page: [

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3969561#3969561]

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at [

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3969561#3969561]. In the Actions box on

the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in General Discussion by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications

please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2012 May 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say thanks for this tip, it worked for me. In my case, it was the Google Talk plugin. Once I uninstalled that, my web cam worked, no problem. It's annoying, since I do use Google Talk video occasionally, and the camera worked fine with Skype and other programs, but good to know.

Thanks for posting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect the frame rate is above 20 and is probably 30 frames. That is too high for Flash to accept.  Most webcams stream at 15 as the norm. So, you might have to call Microsoft tech support for that camera to see what the specs are and how to change it.

I see on Amazon.com that it says this: "720p sensor captures true HD quality video at up to 30 fps."

So the default high is 30 which is why you are getting the black box....too high a frame rate.

You'd have to go into the settings or call Microsoft to see how to change the fps to 15. You notice it says "up to 30 fps" so that tells me there is a way to change that setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently had issues with my LifeCam HD-3000, however everything worked fine after I lowered the resolution to 320x240 and disabled my embedded webcam through the device manager.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Sonny, What is the issue you are facing with Lifecam HD 3000

is it when you enlarge the pod size video stuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2013 Nov 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now that Adobe Connect offers a 16x9 option for the video pod, is 640 still the maximun width for the video pod? And is 20fps the max still?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

His problem is also of concern, hope you can help yourself!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2013 Apr 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's annoying, since I do use Google Talk video occasionally, and the camera worked fine with Skype and other programs, but good to know...........

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2013 Nov 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My LifeCam HD-5000 was not working in Adobe Connect even at lower resolutions and framerates.  Uninstalling the LifeCam software fixed this issue.  So installing the drivers but not software to control the camera is what is working for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2015 May 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, here is a silly question.  Since it seems that technology is improving at a constant rate and the need for higher quality video capabilities are increasing as well, what is Adobe doing to increase the frame rate from <20 so that others who use Adobe Connect for more than just using a webcam, but a high quality broadcast of video using HD cameras for higher resolution?  Adobe has worked hard to build a reputation of having a quality product, yet falls short on this.  In order for us to use one of our HD video cameras with Connect, we have to use an older Sony handycam with a firewire.  FIREWIRE! Considered antiquated technology by todays standards.  I think I could pull out my old VHS player and maybe rig it with an LPT1 cable and play pong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn't have put this better myself. Who "Upgrades" to lower spec equipment?  I have been using the aptly named "Classic" since March and all has worked well (as long as you don't have clients with security aversion to Flash) and now the long-awaited much-heralded update, which was to remove this challenge and open the possibility for a whole bunch of new business opportunities was launched 29th September for EMEA....... but alas the mere thought of turning on a webcam at anything over 20fps causes the whole event to freeze rendering the Host powerless and all participants staring into the abyss. I appreciate that a webinar with 1500 participants all wanting to share their camera would put a strain on a system but 5 users trying to test it to make it work hardly constitutes system overload.  I am suspicious that legacy settings from Classic may be adding to the car-crash that is AC11 as a customer of mine who bought a licence at the end of September and has never used Classic has allegedly had no issues - I'm off to build a vanilla meeting from no previously built layouts or my pre-existing templates to test this out - - - ever felt like you should be paid for User testing????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's after an Adobe Connect update, try uninstalling and reinstalling the camera. Worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the only solution that worked for me as well. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2023 May 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If your webcam isn't working in Adobe Connect despite functioning properly with other software, there are a few steps to try. First, check that you've selected the correct camera in Adobe Connect settings. Update your webcam drivers and test it with a different browser. Temporarily disable your firewall and security software to see if they're causing the issue. Make sure Adobe Flash Player is enabled and configured correctly. If the problem persists, attempt to join a different Adobe Connect room. If none of these solutions work, contact Adobe Connect support for further assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines