Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CF_SQL_INTEGER v/s CF_SQL_NUMERIC ?

New Here ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

Two months back, in my project I had changed CF_SQL_INTEGER to CF_SQL_NUMERIC for entire application. Now I am noticing significant perfromance degradation. Page are taking more time to load than before.

Any idea/information on this will really help me a lot.

Thanks in advance !

Sonu

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

I think you'll find JDBC might be converting your integers to decimals or floats, passing it to the DB and then the DB's gonna be coercing it back to an integer before using it. Which will probably add unnecessary overhead.

Did you check whether CF_SQL_BIGINT would work? It seems to support up to 9223372036854776832 (which is 2^63 + 2 ^10, which is a weird number), which is quite a lot...

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in my project I had changed CF_SQL_INTEGER to CF_SQL_NUMERIC for entire application.

Why'd you do that? You didn't change all your data from using ints to using floats/decimals, did you?

Without basis for saying so, I would think that integers would perform a lot faster than floats or decimals if for no other reason than they're simpler data types, and require a lot less monkeying around to get them into a state the computer can work with (ie: binary).

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your quick response. Actually sql type was changed because there was a high possibility that  data could extend the integer limit in CF. I assumed that cf_sql_numeric would behave exactly as cf_sql_integer with more larger value limit.

Sonu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you'll find JDBC might be converting your integers to decimals or floats, passing it to the DB and then the DB's gonna be coercing it back to an integer before using it. Which will probably add unnecessary overhead.

Did you check whether CF_SQL_BIGINT would work? It seems to support up to 9223372036854776832 (which is 2^63 + 2 ^10, which is a weird number), which is quite a lot...

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adam,

I think you are right. It is very likely that there can be a overhead while converting the types. I will certainly try replacing cf_sql_numeric  to cf_sql_integer and cf_sql_bigint(wherever required) and ask my performance monitoring team to oversee the overall performance.

I really appreciated your help on this. Thanks again.

Sonu

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one. Report back with your results, because this'd be good info for people to know.

Take it easy.

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the info. This is really very helpful and informative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation