• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Copy SQL Data to Another Table

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2007 Mar 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a simple Stored Procedure in SQL that deletes a row from a table based on a variable that comes fom a CF app. I would like to be able to copy this row to another table to use as a Delete Log. The destination table has different field names since more than one table will use this as a delete log. I would like to have it copy the row depending on the data coming from the CF form, and then delete it, and I want to accomplish it through the Stored Procedure. Anyone have any TSQL code that will copy this row into a table with different field names?
TOPICS
Advanced techniques

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should be able to use a combination of Insert Select and column aliases to accomplish the task. You just have to make sure you alias all the columns that will be in your log table

i.e. Say your processed table has the fields id and name and your destination table has the fields topic_id, detail, remote and actiondate:

INSERT Into myLogTable
SELECT id as 'topic_id', name as 'detail', 'remote' = 0, 'actiondate' = getdate()
FROM myEditedTable
WHERE conditions = 'true'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if insuractive's code will work or not. But I do know that this will work

insert into yourtable
(fields)
select values from etc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2007 Mar 06, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This works as long as the field names are the same in each table. I tried it with my situation and it errored out because the fields in the destination table are different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is why I suggested you use aliases to match your select statement fields to your destination table fields. Its a quick way to "map" your select table to your insert table and lets you get away with doing Insert/Select statements even if the 2 tables differ in structure. And it works great in MS SQL (which I assume you are using since you mentioned T-SQL)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried using the aliases and still I get an error about the table definition: Insert Error: Column name or number of supplied values does not match table definition. Not sure what I am doing wrong with it. Here is the code:

(@Manufacturer_ID [int],
@Manufacturer [nvarchar] (50))

AS

INSERT Into Delete_Log
SELECT Manufacturer_ID as 'Item_ID', Manufacturer as 'Item'
FROM Manufacturers
WHERE Manufacturer_ID = @Manufacturer_ID;

DELETE FROM Manufacturers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what is the structure of your delete_log table? You have to make sure that your SELECT statement has the same type/number of fields in the same order as your Delete_log table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2007 Mar 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Delete_Log table has the two fields in the Select statement, as well as an incrementing field (Delete_ID) and a field that auto inserts the date (Delete_Date). These two wouldn't need to be copied over so I didn't put them in the Select statement. Can it be done without copying them over?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 08, 2007 Mar 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The Insert/Select SQL statement requires that the structure of your select statement match the structure of the table you are trying to insert into. You may be able to leave off the incrementin field, but you probably have to include the delete_date field in your select statement:

INSERT Into Delete_Log
SELECT Manufacturer_ID as 'Item_ID', Manufacturer as 'Item', getdate() as 'Delete_Date'
FROM Manufacturers

Also, make sure you list the fields in the exact order that they appear in your Delete_Log table.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation