Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Various Following v6 Upgrade...

Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2007 Mar 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Previously, I was using RH v4 and recently upgraded to v6.

I started working on one of my existing projects (all appeared to be fine!!!) and set up the RS version control system.

I have added several new topics and updated a number of the existing ones and the first problem that I found was:

1 - In preview mode - images that were present as part of my original topic would not display (although images inserted using v6 worked fine), I simply got an outline box the size and shape of the graphic containing a red cross.

I checked the code on the new images compared with that of the old and could not see anything obviously different! So I decided to compile the project and see whether the problem remained in the compiled HTML Help file, then I hit my next problem:

2 - It would not compile - I tried compiling it in all formats but none worked - each time it fell over with 'Robohelp HTML Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenince' then the software crashes altogether!

So I checked on the forum for similar errors and didn't really find any answers other than to try importing the topics in batches into a new project and see whether that compiles - which I am part way through doing at present (this is an exceeding laborious job - it would be so much better if the software was able to actually advise as to what exactly it is that it is having a problem with!) and I have now discovered a third problem:

3 - In the compiled .chm generated from the 'new' project, the 'Related Topics' buttons that I have included in all my topics are ommitted!

Originally I though this might be because of issues with the conversion from v4 to v6 so I attempted to add a new 'Related Topics' button to one of my topics using v6 and even that does not display in the compiled .chm file!

Another thing - and this is probably me forgetting where the setting is - in my newly compiled .chm from my newly created project, you have to double click on the topics and books in order to access them - whereas in my previously compiled projects, a single click did the trick!

I would be extremely grateful for any suggestions in respect of the above mentioned issues as (having got past my initial excitement at a new version) I am now finding the 'bug hunt' most irritating.

Thanks as always in advance

Kind regards

Sherri

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 09, 2007 Mar 09, 2007
Peter - start that you are - thank you x

The problem was because of merged cells in a table combined with the use of conditional build tags. Having followed the instructions provided on Pete's website for a work-around, I now have a compiled project.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2007 Mar 05, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK let's take this a step at a time rather than tackle all the issues.

First, with View | Output selected are there any clues there?

Second you said you have started importing topics into a new project and it is laborious. Surely you only need to import a few topics to see if the original graphics issue is fixed.

Keep the test small as it is easier to spot what is going wrong.

Let's get the graphics fixed first.

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2007 Mar 07, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

Thanks for responding to my query.

In answer to your question - no there is nothing in the Output area (unless of course you are referring to when I attempt the compile? In which case all it says is 'Updating files'). I have never really taken a great deal of notice of this pane am I supposed to do anything in particular to activate or refresh it - or is it supposed to display information by default if there is an issue with the selected topic?

However, I do have a suspicion regarding the images which do not display and it is entirely possible that these are the ones that having opened the project for the first time using v6, I moved? When I originally created the project, the graphics were stored in multiple folders which made it difficult for me to manage so from the Project view, I moved any images that were not originally stored inot my 'Images' folder so that they would all be located centrally. This appeared to work fine, it didn;t cause any broken links and when I checked the associated topics in WISIWYG view, they looked fine - as did the TrueCode which correctly pointed to the new location of the images. I didn't think to check the preview at the time!

If this is the cause of the image display issue, how do I fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S

On a separate note, (and this is down to my own ignorance for which I apologise) when I open a project using v6, should I be opening using the .xjp (which presumably superceeds the .mjp that previously existed) or the .hhp? What is the difference between the two and what purpose do they serve?

Regarding importing the topics into a new project - this was not for the purposes of resolving the image issue but to enable me to compile the project which I simply cannot do for some reason! Whether this is to do with the image issue or not I have no idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you generate an output of any sort, the output area displays the progress and reports on any problems. Are you saying it is blank immediately after generating?

It does sound like something went wrong when you moved the images but to be sure that is the cause, the test project I suggested will confirm that a new project is good and that the issue is your project rather than something else. Please try that.

Moving the images within RH should not cause a problem but unless you have made other changes, I think I would start again. You did keep a copy of your project before upgrading didn't you? See how that works without using version control.

Also do you have any topics with conditional tags and table with merged cells?

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again,

When I attempt to compile the project, the Output pane does populate - but at the point when the system crashes, it simply reads 'updating files' which doesn't really offer any clues!

I should be able to obtain a backup - but would prefer not to have to restore as I have done loads of work since - two months worth to be precise. I appreciate that it is my own stupid fault for not testingh the compile straight away but it didn't even occur to me that it might be a problem!

Yes I do use conditional build tags - both inside individual topics and for entire topics and have been making use of the new conditional build functionality - i.e. applying it to menus and folders etc! As for tables with merged cells, quite possibly but without going through every single topic to check I am not 100% certain. Are there known problems with these?

Even if I were to proceed with importing my entire project content into a new project in order to resolve the compile issue, it still doesn;t get over the fact that my 'Related Topics' buttons don't display? Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes there is a known problem with conditional tags and merged cells in tables and that alone would cause the system to crash.

If you have made lots of changes, then a backup is a poor option so let's keep that in reserve.

I don't know about the related topics problem. Do they work in a new project with some new test topics?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meant to ask, are you using any build expressions when generating?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK,

Firstly, the 'Related Topics' buttons do not display in either preview mode or in the compiled help .chm file - irrespective of whether they are from an imported topic, a newly created topic (in the test project), copied from an existing tipic or created from scratch from the menu in the new project!

Secondly, I have now discovered, that if I compile my original project without using any conditional build expressions, it works! Which is great in the sense that it will compile, but not in the sense that the conditional build tags are vital to my help output :o(

I have also found (following compilation) that the images which will not display in preview mode do in fact display in the compiled .chm file which is good news!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I think Related Topics is a quite separate issue and it would help if you could raise a fresh thread on that.

The images bit can perhaps be cleared in another way. Take a copy of your project and then see the topic on my site about Opening Projects. Try trashing the CPD file AFTER you have read the topic.

Finally the build expression. We now need to know whether you have so much as one topic with both a build tag and merged cells? If so, you have hit the bug found yesterday which Adobe are now aware of. Otherwise potentially we have hit a different problem. How big is the project zipped up and would you be willing to send it to me or Adobe if requested?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will add a new post re the related topics as requested.

I will also have a read of teh recommended topic re my images issue.

As for conditional build tags and merged cells - I can confirm that I do have at least one topic that contains both. Every single topic contains a conditional build tag as (amongst other things) I use them for excluding certain content from the Word Manual output compared with the .chm. I would be more than happy to send you a copy of my project if on this basis you still need a copy - it zips to just under 12mb!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I think it is highly likely you have hit the bug I mentioned. Now we need to prove that using a copy of your project.

If you use either FAR or BKReplaceEm use those, otherwise for this use the built in Multi File Find and Replace. Search for rowspan=2, then rowspan=3 etc and likewise for colspan. What you need to do is remove from the copy all topics with merged cells and then compile with the tag applied. If it then works OK, the bug has bitten you.

Please post back how you get on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2007 Mar 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem was because of merged cells in a table combined with the use of conditional build tags. Having followed the instructions provided on Pete's website for a work-around, I now have a compiled project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 09, 2007 Mar 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp