• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update Link, Update All Links, SHORTCUT?

Advisor ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a great way to work live, on the iPad, from the computer.

BUT, Adobe being Adobe, it's not perfect.

If I click to "Edit Original" and then edit, and save, I must switch back to InDesign before it actually does the update. 

That's problem 1.  I'd really rather not have to make that switch back.  Any way around that?

Second, haivng switched back to InDesign to get that "live" update, if I [Command + Tab] back to the editing app, the "live" updating link is lost, so the next change I make I must go back to InDesign and use the TINY little button at the top of the screen to find the Update Link choice.

I'd much rather a Keyboard Shortcut for Update All Links, rather than having to deal with this.

Better yet, constant live updates would be epic.  Anyways to do this?    

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

@dissidently: You can  define a shortcut for the Update All Links command. It's in the Panel Menus area of the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog box. Look for "Links: Update All Links".

@Sandee: I guess the original poster is using some kind of screen sharing application (like VNC) on his iPad, mirroring his Mac. The tiny little button he mentioned may be the yellow triangle with an exclamation point that appears on the top of changed-but-not-yet-updated image frames in ID.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is interesting.  How are you editing the ID file on the iPad?  A new piece of software? Or something else?  I don't understand, though, why you need live updating regardless of the means you are using.  If you are editing on the iPad, I would assume you are not near your computer. Perhaps sitting on the couch, in bed, taking a bath.  Why do you need live updating? Isn't your computer far away from the iPad?  If the computer is right next to the iPad—which it sounds like it is—why don't you just edit the document on the computer?  The idea of live updating doesn't sound so important. All linked items—images, text, etc—require someone to go back to the ID document to update.  And what is the TINY little button? I'm really intrigued by this workflow as I would love to sit on the couch with my iPad editing ID documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should be more clear, here's some background on what I was trying to do:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5585135#5585135

I'm editing in Illustrator on the Mac, a placed piece of art that sits nicely in a perfectly sized InDesign file (2048x`1536) that's being pumped out to the iPad via the magic of AirDisplay.

What I want is to be able to edit in microcosm (in Illustrator) and see the updates live, in the context of the entire UI that I'm designing that's layed out in InDesign and being "broadcast" to the iPad for constant review.

Does that help understand what I'm trying to do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's that annoying little button I want to avoid having to mouse to each time.

At 2880 x 1800 it's fiddly and time wasting to have to head over there, do that, etc... just to get an update.  There must be a Keyboard shortcut for this, but I can't find it.

justcrap.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make your own keyboard shortcut:

Untitled-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I see the button.

But why not just assign a keyboard shortcut to the command "Update All Links"? You'll still have to switch back to OD. That's a FOL.

"Still wondering about that iPad thing. "

Sent from my iPhone

So pardon the brevi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my reply here @vectorbabe : http://forums.adobe.com/message/5585135#5585135

That's how I'm getting the perfect 1:1 replication of the UI Design from InDesign to the iPad.  It's actually possible to work with Indesign via AirDisplay, but, as I say, clunky with the size of Mouse based buttons trying to be touched.

To the rest of you, thank you!

I thought there might be a shortcut already asigned for this... but no. 

And the lack of a Search feature in the InDesign Shortcut control centre KILLS ME.  I don't know the correct lexicon to go find stuff like this.  So thankyou all for pointing out where I go to make a custom shortcut for this.

I'm going to go with [Option + Command + A].

Is there a "standardised" extended keyboard shortcuts file floating around the user forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dissidently: In the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog box there's a "Show Set" button. Clicking it will launch your system's default text editor with a text-only document containing all ID commands, including their assigned shortcuts and the area where these commands can be found. Perform a Search query in your editor to find the desired command.

Yes, it's a bit clumsy, but it's the only "official" way to find where the commands reside in the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog box.

In ID CS3 and CS4 you can use the splendid free utility called Keyboard Shortcuts Panel, from DTP Tools, which allows you to search and define shortcuts in a very efficient and intuitive way. DTP Tools incorporated this plugin into the paid Blatner Tools, which works in ID CS5 or later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a "standardised" extended keyboard shortcuts file floating around the user forums?

Here's something like that:

http://www.nobledesktop.com/download/shortcut_guides/indesign_cs6_shortcuts_mac.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, John. I meant "extended" in the sense that someone(s) had made decsions on all the extra (missing) possible shortcut combos for every possibly well used feature, and then uploaded that as a "work in progress" extra set of sensible shortcuts for all those things that don't currently have shortcuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're sitting at the computer, edit the AI file on the computer.

But you have to switch to ID all the time to update an image. That's got nothing to do with an iPad.

But criticizing Adobe for not being perfect is unfair. No program updates itself if it is not the active program.

But you don't have to click any ting icon if the frame that holds the image is selected.

Just switch back to InDesign and the image will update automatically.

"But I still don't understand why you're working on the iPad", she said walking away shaking her head.

Sent from my iPhone

So pardon the brevi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Criticising Adobe for not being perfect is exactly what a pixel peeping designer should be doing.  All the time. 

How else are they going to improve?

Have you used Illustrator?

It's great, in some ways, but has the worst performance of any design app I've ever used.  I cannot believe how much it chugs.

And yes, I'm well aware this has nothing to do with the iPad, I never said it did.

This is about trying to get the smoothest possible, fastest, round trip editing and preview on the iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a difference between constructive criticism and whining. There's

also a right place and right way to make suggestions.

You're doing all of them wrong.

Here's the feature request page:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

It's been pointed out to your before. And you need to make a real good

case for why something would be helpful to the majority of users, so I

would write up the request offline and then paste it in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and then what happens?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you wait...perhaps for years, perhaps forever.

That's how this works but given your propensity for whining about the

lack of niche features and the fact that you want the tools to adapt to

you, on top of making no effort to actually learn how things work (and

no, your excuse about not knowing the names of features doesn't fly)

you're going to get nowhere.

Your attitude toward all of this is flat out crazy. Instead of whining

that something can't be done, do what others do...ask how to do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, who is whining?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought there might be a shortcut already asigned for this... but no.

Sounds like you have a problem with the concept of preferences. If you look at the list of items that can be assigned key commands it's obvious there are not enough keys to go around—you want Update All to have a default key command, but I don't.

You want everything to automatically get updated, I don't—I want to know if a link was changed by someone else. If you really think links should not have a modified state the scripting engine is comprehensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rob Day wrote:

Sounds like you have a problem with the concept of preferences.

Looks like you have a problem with understanding what I'm searching for.

Rob Day wrote:

you want Update All to have a default key command, but I don't.

Argh, there's part one of your problem.  I don't want it... I was looking for it, assuming it would be already assigned, and not wanting to try to find how to assign one of my own if it already existed.  This was made harder, ironically, by the fact it was already assigned, so there was no hint to the shortcut when seeing the Update options.

Rob Day wrote:

You want everything to automatically get updated, I don't—

There's part two of your problem.  I don't want that for everyone, always, I just want it as a possible state, and to turn it on.

Rob Day wrote:

If you really think links should not have a modified state the scripting engine is comprehensiv

And there's part 3.  I don't want to remove their modified state.  I just want for an "auto-update". 

Now, where's that scrpting reference?  Does scripting have access to things like auto-update of Links?  I'm guessing not, since there would be some possible security problems exposed by such a thing being able to be implemented by parties outside Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does scripting have access to things like auto-update of Links?

A script can listen for link events. In AppleScript it's:

add event listener v : Adds an event listener.

add event listener specifier : Supported by the following objects: link, link metadata.

event type text : The event type.

handler any : The event handler. Can accept: alias or string or JavaScript Function.

[captures boolean] : This parameter is obsolete. Can accept: boolean (Default: FALSE).

→ event listener : The new event listener.

your problem

Actually don't have any at the moment—will post if one comes up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just so we're absolutely clear...

You're suggesting AppleScript can listen to an update in an Illustrator file (from the save) and then tell InDesign to Update the Links in its file?

And AppleScript has this kind of authority inside apps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no scripter, but I'm pretty certain it doesn't work across apps that way. It would only be listening for an event, (link metatdata change), in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm pretty certain it doesn't work across apps that way

That's right, but you should be able to listen for a change in link status inside of InDesign and then trigger the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it's not actually AppleScript, at all, but rather Javascript, inside InDesign, that's listening for this change, and then doing the update as a result of hearing the change?

Sorry to be retarded. I'm thrown for a loop by the constant reference to AppleScript and Javascript, and the different environments they're acting in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, sorry, one more thing, does a script in Javascript inside InDesign have the authority to run while InDesign is in the background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check at the Scripting forum.

You still have to invoke the script, so I'm not sure what it would get you. Eventually you'll have to save and close the document, so that's probably a better time to handle the link updates—you could write a script that updates and saves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines