• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Back saving illustrator CC file to CS6 without losing layers?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can I back save illustrator files created in CC (CS7 version???) to CS6 without losing layers?  when I open the files in CS6 it says "some info will be lost'   Ha!  all layers and separation is lost, so cannot separate parts... whole file seems grouped and cannot be separated???

When I go back to my (other) computer where I was foolish enought to upgrade to CC, I cannot figure a way to save back as I can with InDesign and saving as a idml file.  Help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

The first dialog offers the location and type of file to save. You want an .ai file. The second dialog that Monica mentions is the Illustrator Options dialog in which you choose the Illustrator version by the dropdown box at the top. It is in this box that you want to choose Illustrator CS6 as the version to save.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just save them as .ai and then look closely in the second dialog box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, M

Thanks for the reply... what do you mean by the 'second' dialog box... do you mean the Format box?

I am on a mac mini with Illustrator CS6 and do not want to load Illustrator CC to it (too many problems)

but have Illustrator CC on my laptop (now at home, not with me) where the files were created on it.  I saved the files to a flash to work on my mini while away... but encounter problems if I just open the CC files in CS6.

So... I am trying to explain to my husband (at home with the laptop) how to save the needed files 'back' for me so that they open fully and safely in CS6.... but doing it sort of 'blind' thus I need very specific, step by step instuctions and to explain to him exactly what each box or choice is named.

Sorry it is so hard, but he is not computer literate.  Adobe help said to do the following:

click on save as, then click on save, then you get window where at top is an option for a dropdown window and it has a 'default version 17' which then gives another dropdown with options to backward save as CS6 or CS5.

That 'save as' then 'save' seemed strange (to an illustrator and InDesign user) as did the 'default version 17' part.

In CS6 the save as Format box only offers ai, eps, ait, pdf, fxg, svgz, and svg.... nothing that sounds like the .idml of InDesign backsaving....  I as about to call home and try to walk him thru the above, blind... when got your email which sounded more hopeful.

Can you be more specific as to what  to look closely at?  Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first dialog offers the location and type of file to save. You want an .ai file. The second dialog that Monica mentions is the Illustrator Options dialog in which you choose the Illustrator version by the dropdown box at the top. It is in this box that you want to choose Illustrator CS6 as the version to save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent... that was what was missing.  After saying okay to 'save as' that black dialog box of 'how to save' has the options listed, including CS6! Yes!  When I try it on my mini (which only has CS6 loaded, that top box says 'CS6' but in CC it says something else and the back save options are lower down the list (this may help other trying to do the same thing).  Thank you for the assistence!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2014 Mar 17, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2014 Jul 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a hard time ass well! I ave illustrator cc and my boss wants me to sent the files to her so she can edit them but she has cs6 how can i save it so she can edit it. Everytie i save it in cc it doesn't give me any type of option to save in a previous version only ai, eps, ait, pdf, fxg, svgz, and sag like ms katheleen. please help a brutha out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choose AI in the first dialog and click save. Another dialog will open where you can choose the version from the top dropdown.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no 2 nd drop down menue just the 5 i state when i click ai and

then ok it saves as is no option

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014, Larry G. Schneider <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't get this dialog when you save an AI file?

Screen shot 2014-07-23 at 3.33.02 PM.png

Notice the version dropdown at the top.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok great it did it just looks different on mine thanks

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014, Larry G. Schneider <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 04, 2014 Sep 04, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried the save as cs6 and I still can't open the original multi page file. I have to choose one artboard and that's all. I have a lot of multipage files that I still need to be able to open and make changes to. Am I out of luck, or am I just missing something? This is the dialog I get when I try to open a file. It says to choose the save command, but its grayed out because all I did was open it. Please help!!!

Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 1.21.28 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the Open PDF dialog.

Which options exactly did you select when saving the AI file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, that's what I don't understand. I choose CS6 in the save as dialog box and I leave the defaults checked like this

Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 4.01.01 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do you ave the file? To your hard disk?

How do you transfer it to the computer with the CS6 installation - via e-mail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I save it to my hard drive. I'm not sure what you mean, I think I bought CS6 as a download if that's what you're asking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some known issues with saving directly to a networked drive or sending a file via e-mail without zipping it first.

When you do that kind of thing then the file might get corrupt and show the PDF open dialog when opening (or even worse).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I send a file it's a saved version in pdf or a web format. I don't send the ai files through email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHat's in the file?

What kind of objects exactly?

There might be some that aren't compatible with the earlier version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had to save as CS6 from CC2015 for a client.

They're an important client and my job's at stake, so when they reported buggy files (glitchy visuals, expanded symbol instances, etc) I was not happy.

It seems even when you avoid any fancy techniques like "gradient along stroke" (or any of CC's recent developments) your nice, simple, CS6-friendly file may not be as flawless as if you'd just made it in CS6 to start with.

Could have saved my self the cost of the upgrade, lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

runninghead_design schrieb:

I've had to save as CS6 from CC2015 for a client.

They're an important client and my job's at stake, so when they reported buggy files (glitchy visuals, expanded symbol instances, etc) I was not happy.

It seems even when you avoid any fancy techniques like "gradient along stroke" (or any of CC's recent developments) your nice, simple, CS6-friendly file may not be as flawless as if you'd just made it in CS6 to start with.

Could have saved my self the cost of the upgrade, lol.

What exactly was in your file?

Can you upload this file somewhere? The CC as well as the CS6 one?

When you need to work with someone who has a lower version installed, it might actually be a good idea to work in the same version. You can have CS6 installed parallel to CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Monika but the job's done now and in future I'll...

• Save everything out as CS6.

• Check my files carefully before sending

• Avoiding using any of Illustrator CC's fancier features

• Try out Mac Affinity Designer- it's cheaper than CS6 and saves .eps files.

My client also got error messages caused by Astute Graphics plugins, which I didn't even us in the file, so that's another thing I'll be avoiding. Shame really as they looked like they were going to get round some of Illustrator's clunkier shortcomings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monika's suggestion was to use CS6 if the client wants CS6 files.

Then you don't have to worry about avoiding new features and backsaving to an older file format.

CS6 and CC can be installed on the same machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

runninghead_design schrieb:

My client also got error messages caused by Astute Graphics plugins, which I didn't even us in the file, so that's another thing I'll be avoiding. Shame really as they looked like they were going to get round some of Illustrator's clunkier shortcomings.

You might want to tell us the details about the Astute Graphics warnings.

Those warnings only appear with those AG plugins that create live effects (which only some of the plugins do) and also it's highly unlikely that a warning appears when you didn't use the plugins. So you might really want to give us some example. Would help others as well.

Also: a demo file of your downsaving problems will help.

Since some of your problems are about expanded objects, good luck with saving EPS out of Affinity Designer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry guys, didn't mean to rant so much but then again, I've been using Adobe Apps for 20 years now and I have to be honest, Adobe Illustrator is just awful.

It's the most buggy and least user-friendly.

I've done all I can to make just grabbing a simple bezier handle easier and it's still a daily frustration, even after all this time.

Feature Request: Toggle an "inflate drag handles by pixels when within pixels" function on and off in preferences or by a keyboard shortcut.

I can't upload the images for legal reasons but here's some helpful detail for anyone who finds this thread when searching for Astute Graphics issues- read this page:

What happens if the Phantasm, Texturino, Stipplism or InkQuest plug-ins are not present? - Astute Gr...

and also note that you can find and expand (in theory at least) all AG live effect elements using the handy "Select » Object » Phantasm Effects/Whatever" menu item.
This will make prepping your file for CS6 users easier.

When I find something frustrating I come here looking for a solve, eg- all my other thread comments on Adobe Forums on everything from spacing in pattern brushes to dragging Guides (which I have just resolved- Monika please see other thread).

My activity on these forums is fast become a very thorough record of bugs, glitches, odd UI decisions and all the really obscure rules and exceptions one encounters everyday as an Illustrator user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines